Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal Gear Software

If you have Photoshop and know how to use it, that's all you need.

There's nothing you can't do in Photoshop!

You're right about that! My model building friends at the LHS basically told me the same thing. Doesnt hurt to ask around though. My PS skills are certainly rusty but it shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it again.

Does it matter if the printer I'm using is a laserjet. I'd rather have an ALPS but those baby's are hard to come by!

What is Decal Gear software?

Gregg, Decal Gear is software designed to make decals for scale models , it's only 10 bucks, but as harry said, if i have Photoshop...

--- Mike

An Alps is nice to have as it can do white and metalic colors. Those are impossible on an ink jet or laser unless you can use white decal paper to get what you need.

I have been using my Epson R1800 for decals and it has been doing really well. I had to make some 1/24th model car boxes and everything came out very legible. These are less than a half inch long and you can easily read the kit box main title. I used Photoshop and reduced the images to the size I needed at 1440 dpi. Just be sure to give the ink sufficient time to dry before spraying the over coating.

I haven't used a Laserjet for decals, bu the last color laser we had at work would do a fine job I'm sure, thou not quite up to the detail I get on the ink jet.

Good luck and show us what you come up with. :lol:

An Alps is nice to have as it can do white and metalic colors. Those are impossible on an ink jet or laser unless you can use white decal paper to get what you need.

I have been using my Epson R1800 for decals and it has been doing really well. I had to make some 1/24th model car boxes and everything came out very legible. These are less than a half inch long and you can easily read the kit box main title. I used Photoshop and reduced the images to the size I needed at 1440 dpi. Just be sure to give the ink sufficient time to dry before spraying the over coating.

I haven't used a Laserjet for decals, bu the last color laser we had at work would do a fine job I'm sure, thou not quite up to the detail I get on the ink jet.

Good luck and show us what you come up with. B)

Thanks for the input Foxer..much appreciated!

--- Mike