Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Surf Rat Wagon

Jairus

Awesome Jairus! Makes me wanna grab my stick, rub on the Sex Wax, and ride the curls... :(

Now, before you have me banned, a stick is another name for a surfboard, Sex Wax is brand of wax that you rub on the board so you have traction, and waves are known as "curls"...

The interior looks really great. You did an excellent job on it. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Awesome Jairus! Makes me wanna grab my stick, rub on the Sex Wax, and ride the curls... :D

Now, before you have me banned, a stick is another name for a surfboard, Sex Wax is brand of wax that you rub on the board so you have traction, and waves are known as "curls"...

The interior looks really great. You did an excellent job on it. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Sure, I've heard that B-4 :lol:

Great to see one of your builds in Action Sir.

Looking good.

Don't know why we don't have more Wagons kits Available.

The project at Jairus studios is still plugging along.

After moving the inner fender well panels out to match the width of the '58 wagon (wider hood in front than that of the '58 Edsel apparently), I noticed something. The core support no longer fits - so a new one is cut out of evergreen.

P1010013-vi.jpg

And here it is installed with the Regulator moved. Now to search for the radiator... after having parted out two of these kits I seem to be short both radiators. Imagine that!

Well, I still have another mint kit but don't want to open it up just for the radiator! Sheesh... ;)

So, either one has to be scratch built to fit or I pull one from an old AMT 57. Either way I go, I need paint, 'cause I am getting close to the time to start shooting color - Whoopee!

P1010014-vi.jpg

Road Trip to the Hobby Shop for rust paint (Floquil doesn't seem to last long in my studio for some reason) and Plastikote primer from the auto parts store.

Later dudes! :D

Update, waiting for something to dry and thought I would make a set of roof racks for the surfboards. Went pretty quick... about 30 min's.

Pieces are .062 brass rod and .020 brass sheet. The brackets were rough cut and then stacked and formed.

P1010016-vi.jpg

Then I made a quick jig to get the angle the same on all four brackets and attached the brackets to the rod via silver solder.

Still need a touch of forming with the file but I like the look!

P1010017-vi.jpg

:)

Still do not remember the caster tho.... I remember him as a standard at our local NNL here in Portland. He's a big gruff guy and most of his stuff is pretty good. He doesn't make any of his own masters, just casts other bodies such as old toys and or Promos. He's not a big name company, but simply travels up and down the west coast plying his wares at shows and NNL's. In the beginning I remember a lot of the modelers ragging on him for doing slush casts... but that was only in the beginning.

Sounds like that was Ron Bolton, Jairus.

TJ

Well, progress on the Surf Rat has graduated to the paint phase. Tires were weathered and the wheels received a coat of paint and valve stems. No pictures yet but as soon as I can get them assembled I will post something.

At any rate, something cool that is still sort of OT... my son-in-law purchased a new toy! WhooHoo!

PIC0001-vi.jpg

The frame, axles, cab and title are 1936 while the engine is a 1937. For anyone who does not know their flat heads... that was the year that Ford corrected the water flow by moving the pumps down into the block instead of up on the heads, thus lengthening their lives considerably. (yeah, there are two!)

f34-vi.jpg

flathead-vi.jpg

This truck was built as a street rod quite a few years ago when the Rat Rod phase was just getting started. The builder, Jerry Kruger gave it to one of his daughters to drive when she was old enough. The other daughter got the next Rat Rod pickup... and IT is a real piece of work!

At any rate, since the daughter grew up and moved out, she didn't want the truck anymore so it's been sitting in storage for the last few years. Jerry, who builds Hot Rods for hire, needed the space so.... (He buys too many cars I figure) a deal was struck with Jeremy and his wife (My daughter who definitely married well). Kellie and Jeremy are currently clearing out space in their garage since this puppy cannot sit out in the Oregon rain that falls from October to April.

interior-vi.jpg

Even with glass-packs it is still fairly noisy. But the wonderful sound a flat head makes is very distinctive! Engine fired up on the first turn once we jumped the battery. The bed cover is open in this view to get at the battery. The electric fuel pump and gas tank are back there too. Under the folded over tarp is a (gasp, choke) wing mounted on the tailgate! Jeremy wisely told me in private that that piece is coming off as soon as possible!

I think it was the daughters idea since most of what I know about Jerry is that he has a good sense of style. Oh... and Jerry is joining us at the next Flexi NASCAR event next week! He and his son will be racing so with any luck we will have 7 entries!!!! :(

But then you guys don't seem to care for slot cars.... so never mind!

rearview-vi.jpg

Hopefully this is the view I will get to enjoy someday.... :laugh2:

driversview-vi.jpg

Okay, fun time over... back working on my Surf Rat!

Well, the all important "mock up" once again determines that I am on the right track still. Got the front bumper firmly attached and the surrounding sheet metal gaps suitably closed up. Some detail clues are added here that give rise to here-to-fore not disclosed details of said build. :lol:

P1010038-vi.jpg

The plan is a rod that is "ratty" enough to be called a "Rat-Rod", but still useable, believable and realistic enough to be actually drivable. (The blower is barely in the running since it is not quite believable when viewed in conjunction with the general income of your average surfer!?!?! :lol:

Hang Ten! HangTensmall-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I had better get busy painting. Seems the deadline is getting sort of close... Dec 30th I believe. :D

Shot some color the other day...

P1010130-vi.jpg

P1010131-vi.jpg

Still a lot to do, but I am over the hump to the point were modifications are inspiring me to - "git-er-done"!!!

The "Surf Rat" continues... HangTensmall-vi.jpg

Well, the all important "mock up" once again determines that I am on the right track still. Got the front bumper firmly attached and the surrounding sheet metal gaps suitably closed up. Some detail clues are added here that give rise to here-to-fore not disclosed details of said build. <_<

P1010038-vi.jpg

The plan is a rod that is "ratty" enough to be called a "Rat-Rod", but still useable, believable and realistic enough to be actually drivable. (The blower is barely in the running since it is not quite believable when viewed in conjunction with the general income of your average surfer!?!?! ;)

Hang Ten! HangTensmall-vi.jpg

This is looking very cool! I like the blower; think of it this way, maybe the owner has a buddy who works at a parts store and wanted surfing lessons and they worked out a trade. A little extra muscle for maybe 4-8 lessons. Good trade and the owner isn't out any cash...bingo, you've got a blower! :P

Well, I guess I had better get busy painting. Seems the deadline is getting sort of close... Dec 30th I believe. :lol:

Shot some color the other day...

P1010130-vi.jpg

P1010131-vi.jpg

Still a lot to do, but I am over the hump to the point were modifications are inspiring me to - "git-er-done"!!!

The "Surf Rat" continues... HangTensmall-vi.jpg

Sweet job on the weathering :D . Sitting on the ground without the wheels really makes it look like a forlorn relic behind some farmer's barn. Great ambiance. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks guys. Should be progress each day on this one. All other projects are pushed aside until the 1st of the new year!

Got some baremetal foil added and the taillights installed. Vacu-formed some window glass and that is now getting the "Treatment". :lol:

P1010152-vi.jpg