Model Cars Magazine Forum

WORK BENCH SATURDAYS!!

Jared Roach

11 minutes ago, Gary Chastain said:

Early this winter I have finally completed (well mostly, need some trim work yet) a dedicated work space. This was an unfinished room above the garage with only a few sheets of plywood on the floor and one light and no heat.  I built the desk from reclaimed cabinet parts and wood lying around. Just finished building/installing cabinets. Still more to do but a dedicated work space is so awesome. 

E21B3D5E-6926-4A98-BA3F-BFBFBC2F184F.jpeg

466A1144-7388-48CA-BAEF-A0A5F51CF00B.jpeg

2C6ADC63-8614-4AE0-A242-07E7306CCE13.jpeg

28D3D796-5E10-4824-A8F1-11DE49FC1905.jpeg

Wow, that an inspiration!  Beautiful cabinets and nice job on the room.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Bainford said:

Just returning to the bench from my usual summer hiatus. Europa project right where I left it last time I sat down here. Trying to remember what I was doing last, getting dug in. 

1208451C-953D-4B7B-AE26-180A4F3D1E4D.thumb.jpeg.024d75ce7f7a80ff95e5c269d7481d89.jpeg

4E61E500-8DF8-464E-904A-381D5EE26C15.thumb.jpeg.578532bf16e3991ffe6f55bf933cd676.jpeg

I spy with my little eye a pink panther. What brand is that? Fujimi?

• 8 months later...

Thought I’d puff some new life into this thread for three reasons: It’s a really cool thread. It’s Saturday. And, after 2+ years of busting my hump I finally have a “bench” setup again!

Cliff’s Notes version of the story goes as follows. Father in law passed away in ‘10. Mother in law moves in with us in the suburbs. We rent their little place out. Mother in law passes in ‘14. Wife and I begin dreaming about and discussing moving into said little place and making it our forever home. FFWD to ‘20…. Covid hits. Atlanta restaurant biz comes to a screeching halt. With my new found free time I begin major overhauls on our suburban home. February ‘21 our renter announces that she will be moving out in June. In earnest, I begin the finishing touches on the suburban home in preparation for listing. By May the bench, stash, et al is boxed up and by June has been moved to our little slice of heaven in the N Georgia mountains for safe keeping, out of sight of perspective home buyers. July ‘21 buyers close on the suburban home and we move in, lock, stock and barrel fully aware that we downsized a bit too far. Now that the renovation (675 freshly added square feet) is 90% complete, and the chickens have a lovely hand built coop and run, and the garden shed is built, and the wood shed is built (and stacked w/ 2 cords of hand split hardwood), and the greenhouse is under way, and the vegetable garden is planted……

I figured, why not set up my workbench. Who knows? I may even get a project on there before Christmas.

IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

• Like 1

That is a very nice workspace and one I am sure you will enjoy immensely once you get a project on the bench.

I have a workspace in the basement with a large size workbench, a large table, and small counter top. It is a shared workspace for other pursuits like metal and wood working. I do like it overall but what is missing is couple of windows to let in some natural light and provide a view. I that respect, I am bit jealous of your new workspace ;)

cheers, Graham

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/10/2023 at 4:53 PM, BeakDoc said:

Thought I’d puff some new life into this thread for three reasons: It’s a really cool thread. It’s Saturday. And, after 2+ years of busting my hump I finally have a “bench” setup again!

Cliff’s Notes version of the story goes as follows. Father in law passed away in ‘10. Mother in law moves in with us in the suburbs. We rent their little place out. Mother in law passes in ‘14. Wife and I begin dreaming about and discussing moving into said little place and making it our forever home. FFWD to ‘20…. Covid hits. Atlanta restaurant biz comes to a screeching halt. With my new found free time I begin major overhauls on our suburban home. February ‘21 our renter announces that she will be moving out in June. In earnest, I begin the finishing touches on the suburban home in preparation for listing. By May the bench, stash, et al is boxed up and by June has been moved to our little slice of heaven in the N Georgia mountains for safe keeping, out of sight of perspective home buyers. July ‘21 buyers close on the suburban home and we move in, lock, stock and barrel fully aware that we downsized a bit too far. Now that the renovation (675 freshly added square feet) is 90% complete, and the chickens have a lovely hand built coop and run, and the garden shed is built, and the wood shed is built (and stacked w/ 2 cords of hand split hardwood), and the greenhouse is under way, and the vegetable garden is planted……

I figured, why not set up my workbench. Who knows? I may even get a project on there before Christmas.

IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

Beautiful workspace!! I can imagine in the spring with the windows open and soft music playing in the background. 

• 2 weeks later...

First 2 models to hit the New bench are both revell monogram 69 camaro kits, The Fathom Green one was a revell/gearz tv contest entry during one of the 2 contest that they ran. Painted and modeled after a real deal Fathom Green JL8 Cross Ram induction car i found on the interwebs along time ago. For that one i had to reattach the mirror, and now figure out why that hood wont sit flush like its suppose to then into a case on a future shelf when i get one.

2nd one is an OOPSIE DAISY mistake car where i messed up on the body work and put it away for a while... Now back out and waiting on a coat of primer to see if there are any more spots since i think i fixed them all... and a few parts reattached to that fell off during the number of times i moved and had it packed in totes.

I finally got the chair not expecting it till Monday but it showed up just prior to me leaving for a family reunion and got it all assembled after i got home, Now waiting on the 2 lamps i got and i believe it shall do till i put up some shelving.

73's KD8ODS

376743776_24100085429605274_2018637247477892070_n.jpg

• 4 months later...

Finally got my lights and all, Was wildling away on a Monogram 57 Bel Air childhood kit Last night during a hangout that Gilbert Mondragon host on Friday evenings 

Now next on the list is a place for a spray booth and some shelves, etc...

IMG_20240120_131422660.jpg

Edited by bandit1
Better picture