Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car: WIP (Photos Restored)

David G.

This is the first time I have seen this and it is stunning.  Really creative and well executed - great work, David.

Thank you Curt, I'm glad you like it.

very imaginative and skilful build.

It really does look like something dreamt up in the 50's.

Super clean skills. I love it!

Thanks Guy. The 50's had what I call a "conservative excess" design philosophy, which is kind of what I'm shooting for. 

David G.

This is fantastic! I have wanted to recreate the interceptor and a few others from the madate max game

Thank you Jesse, the Interceptor is one of the ones I'd like to build too, "Gor Mate, is that a vee-eight?"

Hey David looks pretty good.  Glad I checked this thread...I dont think I had seen this one before....Very cool

Thanks Dave, I'm glad you like it.

Glad you brought this back David. I'd never seen it either, but it's definitely the kind of project that cherns my noble. 

"...cherns my noble. " LOL! That's funny, I love it! Thanks Mike.

David G.

If you are looking for some sort of chrome grille material to fill the rearvoiud you might consider looking at the grilles from semi truck cabs.If you don't have  something like that available an ad in the "wanted"section of these forums will surely turn up what you need.Thanks for sharing your project and the original inspiration for it with those who are non-gamers.

I have never really played video games but I I love your creativity. Your model looks just like the first pic you were using for inspiration 

Thank you John, for your kind comments.

And you say you don't have skill... I think that hearse is ready for another shot!

I have more skill now than when I started this project in 2009. There are things that I've accomplished that I couldn't have done when I started this.

Now that I'm in the home stretch with this one, the hearse is next on the list.

Thanks again Jesse, I appreciate your input.

If you are looking for some sort of chrome grille material to fill the rearvoiud you might consider looking at the grilles from semi truck cabs.If you don't have  something like that available an ad in the "wanted"section of these forums will surely turn up what you need.Thanks for sharing your project and the original inspiration for it with those who are non-gamers.

Thank you for the suggestion Tom. I actually have something that I've knocked together for the rear area. I'm sort of fine tuning it for appearance. Hopefully I'll get some photos of it posted soon. Thank you also for your kind comments.

David G.

OK a little bit of an update.

The "chrome" on the bumpers as a bit scratched and well, just plain yucky looking so I decided to use Alclad to replace it.

Of course we start with the Alclad gloss black enamel.

58_ChevyProton25.thumb.jpg.b8c97a416a10f9d4764f2e1b648227b0.jpg

And then spray with Alclad.

58_ChevyProton26.thumb.jpg.00848c279daa736d1df2c5b0ec9a9cab.jpg

Thanks again,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

• 3 weeks later...
  • David G. changed the title to 1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car: WIP (Photos Restored)

Hello Everybody!

As some of you may know, I've been going back over my old threads and updating old photos and replacing broken photo links. To say that there is a lot of work involved in such a project is a bit of an understatement. 

To get things just the way I want them, there are some threads that I will go back to and redress more than once. This is one of those threads and hopefully it's done now.

Thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoy.

David G

Edited by David G.
typo