Model Cars Magazine Forum

05 #9 Pennzoil Platinum M Martin Busch Series

Mach2

Mark won the 05 Las Vegas Busch Series race with this scheme. Revell 05 #17 Taurus kit, Winscals decals, JWTBM hood pin decals, added the yellow lower valance decal per ref pics. I was going to not do a post race look on this one, but since the previous build had a post race look and I didn't do post race details on the wheels & tires I decided to to some post race body details and give the wheels/tires a post race look too. Used tamiya acrylic gun metal brush effects to the wheels to represent brake dust build up and then layed a piece of 400 grit sandpaper on the table and layed the outer part of the tire on it and rotated the tire to scuff/sand off the decals to the high side of the tires. Rear spoiler braced made from .030" rod for the upper & lower horizontal pieces and .020" hex rod for the vertical pieces. Lowered stance, teardrop roof camera made from flat .015" plastic. Two piece aluminum tube and plastic rod center fuel filler and aluminum tube overflow.

finisheda.jpg

finishedb.jpg

finishedc.jpg

finishedd.jpg

finishede.jpg

finishedf.jpg

finishedg.jpg

finishedh.jpg

finishedi.jpg

finishedj.jpg

Mark won the 05 Las Vegas Busch Series race with this scheme. Revell 05 #17 Taurus kit, Winscals decals, JWTBM hood pin decals, added the yellow lower valance decal per ref pics. I was going to not do a post race look on this one, but since the previous build had a post race look and I didn't do post race details on the wheels & tires I decided to to some post race body details and give the wheels/tires a post race look too. Used tamiya acrylic gun metal brush effects to the wheels to represent brake dust build up and then layed a piece of 400 grit sandpaper on the table and layed the outer part of the tire on it and rotated the tire to scuff/sand off the decals to the high side of the tires. Rear spoiler braced made from .030" rod for the upper & lower horizontal pieces and .020" hex rod for the vertical pieces. Lowered stance, teardrop roof camera made from flat .015" plastic. Two piece aluminum tube and plastic rod center fuel filler and aluminum tube overflow.

finisheda.jpg

finishedb.jpg

finishedc.jpg

finishedd.jpg

finishede.jpg

finishedf.jpg

finishedg.jpg

finishedh.jpg

finishedi.jpg

finishedj.jpg

Nice build :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the thicker black stripe under the door 9's was supposed to be placed above the rocker skirts. This would have kept the bottom of the 9's from folding under the skirts.....

If I could make a suggestion on raced detail. Get yourself a Tamiya weathering kit and experiment with it. Or you can get a set of pastels and rub them on a piece of sandpaper and then smudge the body in places. The dust also looks like "in scale" bits of tire. When you use a paint brush to make scuffs and marks.... well, it looks like you used a paint brush as you can see the brush strokes.

Mach,

Why does the car seem to lean to one side? It is lower on the drivers side and higher on the pass side?

Hello David. I'd like to say it was on purpose so as to reflect the stiffer RH springs making the car set higher on the passenger side while at rest. :lol: But that's not the case. I did notice that the body was setting hiked on the passenger side after the pic's were posted. I have since re-attached the body squarely on the chassis. The RF tire was hitting the top of the wheel well. I had to trim the top of the wheel well thinner and it dropped down in proper alignment.

I would appreciate your comments on the post race detals, especially on the second set of pics where I post race detailed the wheels & tires.

Thanks.