Model Cars Magazine Forum

folks - The Amoco Projek !

Eshaver

Building this job only required a year and a half . Doing the research too two years . built in 1937 at the corner of 3rd ave and Preston Ave in Richmond Virginia , this building survived intact even with the construction of I - 95 in 1958 .

theisland1.jpg

fillmeup.jpg

Goshnomorations.jpg

checkingaleak.jpg

[Yousaidhowmuch.jpg

IMG]http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt266/scrubba/gettinerready.jpg

whencanyouhaveitready.jpg

7-Uptruck.jpg

fillmeup-1.jpg

Recaps1995.jpg

Ed Shaver

Randy , everything and I mean everything was done to 1-24th scale . The cars of course are 1-25th . Ive got a 1941 Lincon I can't seem to find but it will reside in the grease pit area. This was a model of an actual working station too. It quit selling gasoline somewhere about 1959. It remained as a repair shop until about 1974. The origional office was turned into a Convience store for aboiut a year or two . I'ts been vacant since about 1985 according to city records . Ed Shaver

Building this job only required a year and a half . Doing the research too two years . built in 1937 at the corner of 3rd ave and Preston Ave in Richmond Virginia , this building survived intact even with the construction of I - 95 in 1958 .

theisland1.jpg

fillmeup.jpg

Goshnomorations.jpg

checkingaleak.jpg

[Yousaidhowmuch.jpg

7-Uptruck.jpg

fillmeup-1.jpg

Recaps1995.jpg

Ed Shaver

Wow that's really beautiful Ed, Were'd you get the folks from?

Ed, that is one sharp dioarama! I'd love to make something like that-------I'd have to put it someplace where it could be cat proof though! :)

My dream diorama would be a late '60's Gulf station with period cars from new ones to the early '50's. The building would have a pitched roof which could double as a kind of tire rack.

Thank you everyone for the kind words . Amoco stuff is collecable , just not as out there as say Texaco stuff. Im looking foranything from a very local company called Crown . Their refinery was and stillis by the way at the shoreline of the Houston Ship Channel . They retailed in Houston , Virginia , Maryland and some of North Carolina . The company reorganized under bankruptcy protection and I think they now just retail in Maryland under the Fas-Fare logo . Ed Shaver

Guest Gramps-xrds

She looks great ED. I have one little question though. Why is the pump island sitting that direction. I don't think I've ever seen one that way. Looks like there isn't enough room for a car to get between the island and the station.

Actually Bill. there really is . Theres approximately bout fifteen feet between the front of the building and the tip of the island . The Preston street side , actually the front of the building is only about thirty feet away from the building . I can't see where the street was ever widened out either . Third Avenue dead ends now . It used to cross over what is now Interstate - 95 . You can go behind the building and you can look down to the Interstate from there . To get back over to Downtown Richmond , you have to go back to First Avenue and procede south . Thats the closest overpass. Ed Shaver

Randy , everything and I mean everything was done to 1-24th scale . The cars of course are 1-25th . Ive got a 1941 Lincon I can't seem to find but it will reside in the grease pit area. This was a model of an actual working station too. It quit selling gasoline somewhere about 1959. It remained as a repair shop until about 1974. The origional office was turned into a Convience store for aboiut a year or two . I'ts been vacant since about 1985 according to city records . Ed Shaver

hi, awesome job ! that is cool, i love how the corner of the building wraps around it really sets it off to this era. very nice work. mark

She looks great ED. I have one little question though. Why is the pump island sitting that direction. I don't think I've ever seen one that way. Looks like there isn't enough room for a car to get between the island and the station.

:) Yep, I'm with Gramps on this here Ed. Did they really align the pump islands thataway? Mebbe until some ol' ladies ran into the building a few times??? Nice touch them air lines :lol: for that ###### bell! When I worked at Marshall's Amoco we had the airlines-- had two 2 pump islands. When I started dating my first wife, her ex boyfriend used to like to come in with his new girlfriend and try and harass me by driving her li'l bug around and around the two pump islands dinging the ###### bell ;) What a fruit! :lol: He did somehow score another girlfriend with a cherry 65 Galaxie conv.

All that work really paid off--Wowser! :blink: Really bringin' back lotsa memories Ed, specially them wrapped tires with the ###### labels all facing forward. You's my ol' bossman Ed Marshall redecarbonated ;)

;):o:blink:

theisland1.jpg

fillmeup.jpg

Goshnomorations.jpg

checkingaleak.jpg

[Yousaidhowmuch.jpg

7-Uptruck.jpg

fillmeup-1.jpg

Recaps1995.jpg

Ed Shaver

that is a very nice job you have done there ed,the shopfront has that nice,period look about it. very cool.

Awesome diorama Ed. Well researched and sounds like you had fun doing the research. Man, I remember when the "filling station" was MUCH more than a place you breezed by to get gas. I'm not that old and I remember buying gas for my first car that cost 22.9 per. I used to wait for the schoolbus in a corner neighborhood gas station. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...