Model Cars Magazine Forum

'78 International Scout II

Here's my latest Scout build, and it's the first one on which I finally fixed my biggest gripe with the kit- the incorrectly curved upper edge of the grille.

015_15-vi.jpg

I straightened out the hood, added the missing hood peak and turn signal cut lines, and resized the headlamp bezels, giving them clear lenses and plated reflectors in the process.

016_16-vi.jpg

Around back, I used BMF to make up taillamp bezels, and added the cut lines to the rear quarter end caps.

014_15-vi.jpg

I also raided my spares box to fill out the kit's sparse engine compartment.

Yeah, this is a crude and simple kit, but it's got potential!

Nice work, finally someone fixes what everyone has missed so far on this kit! I started a fix for mine, but didn't get past the basics. It bugged me back in the '70's when Ertl did the kit. It was kind of lame after their outstanding big rig kits.

It's kind of like the chin spoiler combined w/upright spats on the AMT '08/09 Challengers. Everyone is painting them wrong because AMT got that part wrong...they all look like they have a big black gap at the front of the wheel opening. It's easy to fix, but almost every single builder has either ignored it or hasn't noticed it, and to me it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Nice work, finally someone fixes what everyone has missed so far on this kit! I started a fix for mine, but didn't get past the basics. It bugged me back in the '70's when Ertl did the kit. It was kind of lame after their outstanding big rig kits.

It's kind of like the chin spoiler combined w/upright spats on the AMT '08/09 Challengers. Everyone is painting them wrong because AMT got that part wrong...they all look like they have a big black gap at the front of the wheel opening. It's easy to fix, but almost every single builder has either ignored it or hasn't noticed it, and to me it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Bob- the one I'm building now, I'll be using the hood-bending technique you showed (on this one, I just filed the curve out of the hood).

Yes, the grille (among other gaffes and glaring omissions) have always irritated me on this kit. I haven't noticed the issue with the AMT Challengers yet, but I'm sure I'll notice now! THAT has GOT to be easier to fix than the hiccups on the Scout kit! :lol:

Nice looking Scout, Chuck ;) . I didn't realize that there were that many glitches, but you did well. I wonder if the Scout could be the basis for an International pickup?

About the only IH pickup you could make from the Scout II would be the Terra, which was the long wheelbase (118" as opposed to the standard Scout II's 100") Scout II with a pickup-style top. The '68-'75 light pickups shared no body panels with the Scout or Scout II. I've been wanting to build a replica of my neighbors '69 IH 1/2 ton for a while, I think I'm going to use the chassis from a '72 Chevy (not accurate, but about the right wheelbase, width, and overall size), and a lot of scratchbashing.

FYI- you'd be better off scatchbuilding an A-series Scout body for the II kit, as the Scout II body can't really be tweaked properly to get the full effect. Behold this nightmare if you don't believe me...

IMG_1064-vi.jpg

I'm just going to retain the modified Scout II interior tub and chassis and start all over on the body!

Very nice work, love the color, what is it?

I don't remember, but it's one of the new Testors One Coat colors, with the wet look clear over it. It's the darkest of the three blues in the line, and I believe it was the first to be introduced.

Thanks for digging the Scout guys!

• 6 years later...