Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whatever Happened to......

Hi,

I just recently got two PM's from Forum members asking about my truck modeling days. On the slim chance that someone else cares, I will answer here so everyone knows the awful truth.

I worked for International Trucks/Navistar for 38.5 years and, except for a 2.5 years stint in World Headquarters in Chicago, I worked in the Fort Wayne, Indiana Engineering Center. I spent time in Sales Engineering and eventually was the Product Information Manager, both were jobs that included supplying technical data and drawings to model manufacturers that wanted to build models of International trucks. There might be folks here that would consider it a dream job and I'll admit it was always my favorite part of the day when I was talking to model manufacturers about new International truck models. It is possible that more International models have made it to market than otherwise might have been, simply because several department members and I went out of our way to make it easy for the manufacturers to get complete information.

Now the awful truth: although I built, in the day, at least one of all the 1:25 International truck kit tools, usually from test shot parts, I have not built a truck kit since I retired in 2001. Most of my hobby time since then has been involved with R/C cars, slot cars and model railroads. I have moved from Fort Wayne to the Indianapolis area so I don't have any good contacts in the "what's new" info flow anymore, either. On that uplifting note, let's move on to the questions and comments:

From chuckyr:

Do you still work for International and build truck models? See above

I heard at the recent Chicago model show that a model company plans to offer a Lonestar kit in 1/24th or 1/25th scale. Glad to see that there are plans, I love that truck! I have never heard of the company involved.

Your web site is quite interesting. Thanks very much

Have you heard that the Transtar 4300 has just been reissued? Yes, I am very glad, it is a kit with which I was very invloved. The Sales Engineering manager was not pleased that it was first released back in the 70's as a short hood 4200 with a Cummins VT903. He was right, the VT903 was a flop.

From Ben:

Someone posted a partial picture of that International 4300 that you built a while back and I was wondering if you had any other pictures of it? It looks like a really great build and I would love to see more pics!

Just because you asked, Ben, I snapped some quickies tonight (with the dust cover still on) and posted them on my web site, e. g. :

ModelI001.jpg

More here.

I am currently mastering a McLaughlin Super Suite to be used in building an Eagle Brougham. Love that one, how are you going to do the graphics?

Regards and thanks to you both for asking about an old war horse,

Hey David, that is a really nice build of that transtar!!!!!! The Eagle graphics are being produced in 1/25 by Brad Johnson. His website is www.modeltrukin.com

He did a really great job reproducing the eagle and scripts!

My master for the sleeper is being cast right now and i've also reworked the the wheels from the 4300 kit to much more accurate Alcoa's with machined aluminum acorn lug nuts and center hub covers for the masters.

I heard the transtar 4300 was going to be a short print. Does anybody know if thats true? Just wondering how much time I have before its gone again. I like getting the reissues becasue you can afford to build them and I can keep my originals put up safe and sound.

Glad to see you back David!

I had subscribe to NMN when it was going and sent many a M.O. to the NAA for items from the toy store.

Moebius is the company that is doing the Lonestar.It was announced at the Ihobby show in Chicago. They won't give out very many details yet.

I have several IH's in the works at the moment, from a Cargostar, to a Loadstar, and several others.

Hey Dave,

I just by chance found your web site after surfing the web. I said to myself, let me see what he is currently up to. I met you at a Toledo model meet and talked to you over the phone. I lived in Kokomo. I’m now in Atlanta. Back in the day, I was trying to see if Italeri would offer a model of the International 9700 or 9800, since they were the only one offering new model truck subjects at the time. I am surprised that you don't build truck subjects.

Here is another question, why hasn’t the Transtar 4070A been reissued?

Nice to hear from you, keep busy in your hobby!

Edited by chuckyr

Hey David,

I am surprised that you don't build truck subjects.

Here is another question, why hasn’t the Transtar 4070A been reissued?

Nice to hear from you, keep busy in your hobby!

Thanks to all for your comments.

To chuckyr:

1 - I have a truck on the workbench now, I am restoring it as a Christmas present for a friend. Photos to follow.

2 - The 4070A was retooled into the Transtar II which was, I believe, reissued in the '90's. The 4070A is gone..... B)

Thanks to all for your comments.

To chuckyr:

1 - I have a truck on the workbench now, I am restoring it as a Christmas present for a friend. Photos to follow.

2 - The 4070A was retooled into the Transtar II which was, I believe, reissued in the '90's. The 4070A is gone..... B)

So my final question is there anyone at Ft. Wayne that can advocate in getting truck model kits made?

I don't want to speak for 7000in5th, but, there is a corporate legal department that I'm sure existed back then that oversees use of logos, designs, and anything related to the company. They also deal with the royalties from the various licensecees and contractors. Basicly they are the final say in having anything IH produced, whether it be for a 1:1 truck, or a model.

Just check anything that has International on it and their logo on it. It states something to the effect of "being licensed to use International and trademarks by International Intellectual Property Company, LLC" Essentially they have to approve everything and get a cut of the profits........

Most companys have gotten really touchy about royalties and licenscing

Edited by cargostar

• 6 years later...

Bumping after so many years for those that like to ask the age old question, "why hasn't the International 4070a been reissued?"

Agreed. That truck holds a special place in my heart as it was the 1st truck model I bought with my OWN money. Shoveled a lot of sidewalks and driveways back then for my model truck kits. That and the Transtar 4200 were great kits. Wish I could find the decal sets for those two models. 

JerseeJerry55

Have you heard that the Transtar 4300 has just been reissued? Yes, I am very glad, it is a kit with which I was very invloved. The Sales Engineering manager was not pleased that it was first released back in the 70's as a short hood 4200 with a Cummins VT903. He was right, the VT903 was a flop.

Is that why my 4300 kit has a 903 on the outside of the box and a V800 inside?

Have you heard that the Transtar 4300 has just been reissued? Yes, I am very glad, it is a kit with which I was very invloved. The Sales Engineering manager was not pleased that it was first released back in the 70's as a short hood 4200 with a Cummins VT903. He was right, the VT903 was a flop.

Is that why my 4300 kit has a 903 on the outside of the box and a V800 inside?

Is the 4300 actually being reissued shortly or is this an old subject? Wish they would rerelease the 4200 with the original Transway Trucking decals.

Is the 4300 actually being reissued shortly or is this an old subject? Wish they would rerelease the 4200 with the original Transway Trucking decals.

I haven't heard of it coming out again Jerry, but around the time of most of the posts in this thread (2009) was when AMT did reissue it in the original box art. 

Dave:  Glad to hear from you.  I've got some ideas for building the nose of a 2010 Workstar that would fit the Prostar cab.  There is one here locally that has been built into a brush truck that is on my plate to model.  Are there any good sources for line drawings of the Workstar front end other than the usual sales brochures that could be used for obtaining measurements, etc?

Charles, IHC USED to have a Builders Manual, that had ALL of the dimensions and line drawings of all of their trucks. I have one from the late 80's. I would expect that such info is still available for the body builders who make the bodies and accessories etc. that are used on these trucks. It may not be a paper manual any more, but I am sure that a current IHC dealer could help you locate the info you seek.