Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Build Fiberfab Avenger Gasser

Modelmartin

This is the type of model I would have liked to build when I was in my early teens but didn't quite have the skills to pull off. It may not be a legal AA/gasser but then I wouldn't have known that when I was 13! I started with a Glue bomb IMC Fiberfab Avenger GT12 and a bunch of pieces from the vast parts box that has been filling up for 40 years. I built this about 3 years ago.

The engine is an Olds from the AMT Willys gasser with headers from the IMC kit and a scoop from somewhere. The frame and interior are from the IMC gasser option for both the Avenger and the Beetle kits. The rear axle is a Revell item from the 70s gasser kits. Front axle is from some old funny car. Wheels and tires came from the parts box.

The paint is Testors Lime Gold Metalflake decanted and airbrushed. There is no wiring or P/E of any sort. It was just a quick and very fun build. enjoy.

gt12c-vi.jpg

gt12d-vi.jpg

gt12b-vi.jpg

gt12f-vi.jpg

Not much into Gassers Andy, but that's pretty cool!

Each year I was in High School in the '70's, there was always one of these being built up in shop class! Surprisingly, by the end of the school year, they had it up and running!

Seeing these brings back some memories........not in Gasser form though! :angry:

Thanks for the comments, guys. I have another copy of this kit and the idea of a well-detailed VW powered street version highly amuses me. Using a Tamiya VW pan and drivetrain and suspension and then opening the doors, adding poseable steering, etc. would make for a really cool model. I doubt I will do it because I have too many other projects going on. :)

Totally off the wall and cool; I like it a bunch.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I have another copy of this kit and the idea of a well-detailed VW powered street version highly amuses me. Using a Tamiya VW pan and drivetrain and suspension and then opening the doors, adding poseable steering, etc. would make for a really cool model. I doubt I will do it because I have too many other projects going on. ;)

Andy.....please keep me in mind if you ever feel the need to let that other Avenger kit go. I have a buddy with a 1:1 Avenger who would love to have his car done up in scale. I also forwarded this thread along to him, as he's a long-time gasser fan.

• 6 years later...

Just purchased a copy of this kit. Fun to see one built. You said you have a second one you were going to build on a Tamiya VW chassis. Did you ever follow through on that project? I plan to building mine using the VW chassis that comes with the kit. So I'm very interested in see yours.

Holy cow. i had NO idea IMC ever made an Avenger kit. Gots to get one now.

I had a real one about 1000 years back with a Corvair 140 on a VW pan. Total POS, heavy, awful fiberglass, rattles, fumes, leaks everywhere...but great fun. 

Of course if you parked it, when you came back there was always some bozo explaining to his awestruck girlfriend that it was a Ford GT race car. Nothing ever changes, I guess. :D

Just purchased a copy of this kit. Fun to see one built. You said you have a second one you were going to build on a Tamiya VW chassis. Did you ever follow through on that project?

Do you realize you're asking a question to a guy who hasn't posted here in years, and that this thread is seven years old?

Thanks for the comments, guys. I have another copy of this kit and the idea of a well-detailed VW powered street version highly amuses me. Using a Tamiya VW pan and drivetrain and suspension and then opening the doors, adding poseable steering, etc. would make for a really cool model. I doubt I will do it because I have too many other projects going on. :)

That was pretty much the norm here in Brasil for the fiberglass bodied sports cars in the '60s, '70s, and '80s. 

Google cars like Puma, Dardo, Miura, Lorena, Puma GT 4R, and Bianco S, and you may get some ideas.

• 1 year later...