Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slightly warped 1959 Impala true promo

gus220

If anybody has done this its somebody on here. Here's the story I just found a 1959 Impala Promo that has some what I'll call minor warpage. Is there a tried and true way to shape this body back to what it once was. this thing is in too good of shape to just let it sit. the chrome after it was cleaned shines like new money, the body is molded in an off white with the trunk the same color and the rest of the body is a light green and it shines very well also. The interior tub is off white w/green accents. Please help to make this a great car once again.

OOO,John, I'm not really sure you CAN unwarp the type of plastic those ORIGINAL promos were molded in. It's DEFENATELY NOT styrene. I tried to fix an old Hubbley 60 Ford station wagon once an no matter what I did, Hot water .heat, heat with pressure(rubber bands) nothin worked. Maybe one of the guys have been able to, but I sure as heck wasn't! Hopefully someone can help us BOTH out! Fella's????? :):lol:

OOO,John, I'm not really sure you CAN unwarp the type of plastic those ORIGINAL promos were molded in. It's DEFENATELY NOT styrene. I tried to fix an old Hubbley 60 Ford station wagon once an no matter what I did, Hot water .heat, heat with pressure(rubber bands) nothin worked. Maybe one of the guys have been able to, but I sure as heck wasn't! Hopefully someone can help us BOTH out! Fella's????? ;);)

Even if it is styrene you might be SOL if it is an original promo, I have never had any luck with them and have tried all the methods to correct. :lol:

You'll never get it back; it's not that it's "just" warp. The warp is from the material shrinking and it doesn't do it consistently.

You can try dipping it in warm water which will soften the plastic & you may have some limited success, but you'll never, ever get it "back" to new.

You are probably best to clean it up and let it be, & put it in a sealed display case. That's how the promos look. If you want a straight, clean '59 promo w/o the warp, build a Revell/Monogram kit as a promo in the same colors & with the same simplified detailing. Promo collectors love models that aren't "dripping with bare metal foil" as one of my promo-collecting friends describes the kind of models we like :lol:

I think it looks great. Remember, this is an original 50 year old promo. It has character that a new replica cannot duplicate. I have many promos from this era with varying degrees of warp. I polish them out, re-plate where necessary and put them on display. Unless its a melted blob, it will continue to appreciate in value. :lol:

OOO,John, I'm not really sure you CAN unwarp the type of plastic those ORIGINAL promos were molded in. It's DEFENATELY NOT styrene. I tried to fix an old Hubbley 60 Ford station wagon once an no matter what I did, Hot water .heat, heat with pressure(rubber bands) nothin worked. Maybe one of the guys have been able to, but I sure as heck wasn't! Hopefully someone can help us BOTH out! Fella's????? <_<:lol:

I just read your signiture statement. That hits the nail on the head. I'm in Lincoln Park so I see all the junk on tv too.