Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Booths & Safe Ventilation?

Synister

I actually ordered a bilge blower (brushless) and am waiting for the arrival. Should be here in the next couple of weeks. Once I have some more time ill decide where I'm going to build it etc. I'll be sure to post up the results!

• 1 month later...

Ive been looking lately at Paint booths, Ive come across a few , the most common one seems to be the white plastic case type that folds out. I may pick one up for the heck of I, just for quick jobs, but I am looking for something like a paasche one. Ive found one in the price point that I like.... however it says :

`` Not intended for use with hazardous materials, flammable or explosive paints or materials`` ..... now I know of a few people usung these booths..... and I was wondering if anyone has had any issues? or can I change the fan out so that I don't blow it up? I sptay mostly HOK and automotive paints and 2k clears.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paasche-HSSB-22-16-Hobby-Spray-Booth-22-Wide-by-18-High-plus-4-Filters/271833977545?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30157%26meid%3Dee31786837e34a2e8fec5bc24bed537c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D370576890460&rt=nc

Any input or suggestions are welcomed. Id like to stay around / under the $200 USD mark.

Best way to answer this question is to go to these two sections:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showforum=8

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

And do a search for "paint booth". There are multiple threads in there for paint booths, pros and cons of building your own, the dangers of using them, etc... The most important thing about paint booths is working with one that has a brushless motor for the fan vent. The brushes in a motor cause static electricity that can combust flammable gases that come from spray cans and airbrushes.

You will also need to consider HOW your paint hood will vent the fumes out of your work area. You don't want to use one and not have suitable air circulation in the immediate area, as this can cause asphyxiation, light headedness, and the obvious buildup of volatile vapors that can explode. Usually a dryer hose through an open window and a good brushless fan with filters will do the trick nicely, provided there aren't too many bends in the piping.

Hello,
I'm getting back into modeling a little and was looking for ideas on how to build a inexpensive paint booth. I had one back in college that was a bathroom fan bolted to the back of a plastic tub that worked well. Now I'm reading that I need a brushless motor fan due to risk of sparks and fumes. I would like a recommendation on a decent fan to use as all I've found were squirrel cage fans for $90 or more that were brushless.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Jed

Several guys have mentioned using bilge-fans made for boats. They have to be "explosion-proof" ("ignition-protected") to qualify for marine use, and can sometimes be found cheep. You'll need a 12V DC power supply as well.

Here's a 4" 240 CFM fan. !BV,tO8gBGk~$(KGrHgoOKiwEjlLmE-R)BKS(1Ss

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rule-240-Inline-Bilge-Blower-fan-For-Inboard-and-I-O-Boats-4-240-CFM-/231516685776?hash=item35e77845d0&vxp=mtr

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

artograph 1530 is what I use, love it, with clean filters I almost don't need to vent it outside using lacquers. kinda spendy, but worth being able to paint indoors all year round. and , it is mostly metal, not a flimsy cardboard deal.

I had looked at Pace booths before but shipping to Canada was incredible.... ill go have a look again.

upon further research..... with shipping and exchange a Pace Peace keeper would set me just over $1000.00. And the Mini-plus doesn't appear to be big enough. I guess Ill hold off for now. Don't really "need" one.

Edited by mademan

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 150cfm bilge blower and it does a good job with over spray, not so good with ventilation. Always stinks up the basement when I shoot pretty bad. Granted I am shooting from a can but I should have went with a much higher cfm fan. Definitely need to upgrade my booth.

• 8 months later...

I built my own spray booth. It is a downdraft system and  exhausts directly to the outside through the exterior wall of the house.  The spray booth is constructed from a plastic storage tub that I bought at IKEA. I also bought the tub's cover so that I can keep the model protected from dust after it is painted. The bottom plenum/filter box is constructed from MDF boards. The exhaust fan is from Granger. The exhaust fan is designed so that the fan's motor is not in the exhaust's air stream, so no paint can gunk-up the motor. It probably cost about $200 to build. The exhaust fan was over $100.00.

booth_with_car.thumb.jpg.70c6702139551acblower.thumb.jpg.433714fd1149ed4d9954a8espray_booth.thumb.jpg.cd583ad04db76e64b9

That's nice John,....

What's the CFM on the fan..? Any idea of the sonnes (noise level)?

just by the by, you might want some kind of replaceable, clear, shield in front of the led's,...

clear plexi with saran wrap cover ?

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys,

For those who are venting there hoses out the windows, anyone have a suggestion or solution. For venting out windows that wind in and out, with built in removable, but not sliding screens? 

These are what my windows are, like I said the screen is built in but is removable. Any ideas as Im getting my airbrush compressor and am finding out I may not really need a booth for tamiya acrylics but it would be nice to have one. 

IMG_0645.thumb.JPG.d1c15212e799e0fad0800

Edited by Byron5150

• 1 month later...

Like Marc said! Ante up more money and get a Pace Booth. It'll be an excellent investment in your hobby, and your safety.

post-9023-0-14257600-1429028335_thumb.jp

Is there any documentation that says these are "explosion proof?" From what I can tell (briefly searching for an explosion proof fan by itself) there's no way these are at this price point, which begs the question, what makes this any better\safer than a home made booth with a decent blower fan such as a Grainger? I mean, it's clearly a professionally built booth, no doubt about that, but I think it'd be easy enough to build a similar booth out of plywood following this same design for a fraction of the price, and since (at least in my case) the booth would be stationary, sheet metal isn't going to offer any longevity benefit over plywood. I ask because I'm planning to build a booth and get ideas of why people chose the booth they use. I'm not opposed to spending some money on a good booth, but if I can build something myself cheaper that's what I'm gonna do. However, if these Pace booth's are actually safer, that may be the route I go instead.

• 1 month later...

A bit late, but I just sent an email to Pace asking if their booths are lacquer and aerosol can safe. Will post an update when I hear anything.

If you use the right fan to build your own, I don't see the Pace ones being any safer. More convenient, yes. Buying ready to go is always more convenient. :lol:

I'm looking into the bilge blowers. Have to make sure that the one you pick is USCG 183.410 Compliant: Ignition protected from what I have seen. I would like to get more input on how these types actually work for our use. I know Miatatom is using one, but his thread discussing his seems to have disappeared. I've tried clicking on the link he has posted several times and get a not found error.

I would at this point probably get one of the 240cfm bilge blower ones, and the controller to slow it down if needed. And these are pretty much all 12VDC, so a power supply of some sort is needed. Just not financially ready to start on building one right now. It's nice and dry (and pretty warm) here, so a booth isn't mandatory.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

So there is any safe exhaust fan(explosion proof)  that we can buy in reasonable price? 

I need one that ships internationally 

Does bilge blower is safe? (from what I know is job is to ventilate the engine bay in a boat feom fuel fums....) 

Edited by CarLover