Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Booths & Safe Ventilation?

Synister

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the same booth and I think it works great. I have the hose straight out the window with no bends. Thinking of getting a piece of 4 inch plastic drain pipe to replace the hose for better air flow. I don't smell anything all the while I'm spraying. And I let it run a while when I'm done. Afterward it's been off a while  I start to smell the paint and figure it's what's on the models I've just painted. But I haven't noticed any overspray anywhere. Not even on the table it sits on during spraying. You can take the filters and soak them in Purple Power. I spray the filter with Purple Power until wet and then place them in a gallon zip lock bag, They clean up rather nicely.

• 8 months later...

Finished my booth today. Thanks for all the tips!

I had a kitchen cabinet laying around sou that got to be the base. 
fan is an exhaust fan with the possibility to wire it so it automatically revs up when blocked. 
Made a draft box bellow and put the fan behind and it vents to the outside through an existing ventilation hole.

I drilled holes for 4 led spot lights and have sockets for 2 halogen in top for heat. 

Now what remains is to se how it works! 

12A24E27-9911-4494-BBEC-5725C8E34049.thumb.jpeg.01346a594cf0c1624f4d0802443c6fb6.jpeg

FDFB43C0-3EBD-40FC-B7E9-8784DDA7E13B.thumb.jpeg.afe7442d0776e3c95c796b410257ab2e.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2013 at 3:36 PM, Ben said:

Just wondering if anyone here has this paint booth and if so, how often do the filters have to changed? Does it have a high volume motor for dispersing the fumes? http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush%C2%AE-Portable-Airbrush-Extension/dp/B00B2TESUQ/ref=pd_sbs_ac_1

Have it. It just takes minor fumes away. It needs a more powerful fan. Fortunately you can buy 2 of them and stack them together and that does the trick.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

I'm about to take the plunge on one of those spray booths....

I've watched Chris's (hpi guy) video on the subject and it definitely sounds and looks interesting... I plan on getting the one with the LED lights and duct work option.... 

Do yourself a favor and get a Pace.   I bought a Testors for about the same price and the quality can't touch the Pace for about the same price:

https://www.pacepaintbooth.com/

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 7:26 PM, Spruslayer said:

Just pulled the trigger on the pace super mini booth,its on sale too!

Bu Bye to this thingbooth.jpg.55bbdaaa6ee3227d3a5294c0e6dfedf2.jpg

How has your experience been with the Pace Super Mini? I am looking to get one and can't seem to find a better bargain than the mini plus for $250 shipped.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

How has your experience been with the Pace Super Mini? I am looking to get one and can't seem to find a better bargain than the mini plus for $250 shipped.

The super mini has worked perfect,pulls the overspray and the smells completely out and i really dont have to be in the unit for it to draw,as long as i dont get more than 8 to 10 inches away.When using spray bombs the filter life is shortened  but i suspect any spray booth would do the same.The light is nice but at a hundred more i thought by the time i rig something for a light i would spend about half that so i supered it! 

• 3 weeks later...

So Santa came early for me and I got my Pace booth earlier this week. I will be off to Home Depot for some duct work and to find an inexpensive LED light for it. I bought some white craft paper today at Hobby Lobby and some magnets too. My plan is to use the craft paper as a liner for the booth to keep it from getting all covered in paint, I'll use the magnets to hold the paper in place. A 100 foot roll is $9.99 and I figure I can get about 20 pieces out of that roll, so for $.50 a piece, I'll be able to keep my booth looking nice.

My other concern is whether or not it will pull a lot of dust onto the models so I am thinking about making a cover that can go on with magnets. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After researching, reading reviews and weighing my options, I decided to build my own spray booth.  It is a work in progress now, I'm still waiting on a few parts and supplies.  I need to mount the regulator and install a plexiglass door at the top angled section, add lights, a fan switch, and miscellaneous finishing touches.  But right now it is operational.  I built it to be a self-contained unit with the compressor in the bottom and a storage shelf for air brushes and supplies in the center.

The plywood was free scrap from a cabinet shop down the street from work.  The exhaust fan is a JennAir unit I removed a few years ago when I remodeled my kitchen.  I nearly tossed it a couple of times but being a packrat I couldn't do it.  It was a gunked-up mess and took a lot of cleaning and a couple of days soaking in the solvent tank.  I built the plenum out of a couple of thicknesses of plywood and the filter fits snug at the top.  The pegboard was a 2x4 foot piece I bought at Goodwill for $1.99.  I had a leftover lazy Susan from a previous remodel and made a turntable with that.  The turntable lifts out when not needed.  The compressor is a 1/3 HP Speedy Sprayer that I picked up at Goodwill for $39.99 a couple years ago.  I made a storage tank out of Schedule 80 PVC to prevent surging.  The regulator will be mounted just below the plenum and easy to access and view the gauge.  I have to install the plywood door that will close over the front when the unit is not in use.  

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Edited by Kromolly
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 3:11 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

I like your storage tank idea. 

Yes, seems like a clever idea, but I would never consider using PVC sanitary sewer piping for a vessel holding pressurized gas.  Yes, there is a pressure rating stamped on the pipes, but it is not designed to hold that pressure.  I have seen PVC pipes burst (shatter explosively) from air pressure (well below the rating printed on them).

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/using-pvc-pipe-for-compressed-air/

But after stating all that, this looks like a small airbrush compressor that only puts out 30-40 psi. I suppose with such low pressure this setup might be safe.

10 hours ago, peteski said:

Yes, seems like a clever idea, but I would never consider using PVC sanitary sewer piping for a vessel holding pressurized gas.  Yes, there is a pressure rating stamped on the pipes, but it is not designed to hold that pressure.  I have seen PVC pipes burst (shatter explosively) from air pressure (well below the rating printed on them).

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/using-pvc-pipe-for-compressed-air/

But after stating all that, this looks like a small airbrush compressor that only puts out 30-40 psi. I suppose with such low pressure this setup might be safe.

Yes low pressure is all we run through our air guns anyway. For a long time my brother used an innertube from a car tire to spray models. Not that high of pressure but it gave him the volume. That would be the point of the home made plastic pipe tank anyway.  With a couple of elbows or a t you could use wasted space to gather volume.

18 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Yes low pressure is all we run through our air guns anyway. For a long time my brother used an innertube from a car tire to spray models. Not that high of pressure but it gave him the volume. That would be the point of the home made plastic pipe tank anyway. 

Yes, inner tubes work well, and even if they burst, that won't cause much damage or send shrapnel everywhere.  But I do admit that in this case, where low pressures are involved, using PVC pipes and end caps is likely safe.   I just mentioned that PVC piping is not safe for any (higher) pressure applications in case someone reads this thread in the future and decides to use PVC for holding air under higher pressure.

I use a portable compressor integrated with a (steel) 4-gallon tank that holds 110 psi, then oil/water trap, and pressure regulator to reduce the pressure to what I need for airbrushing.  I  would never consider PVC for anything on the high pressure side.

I own several compressors, from a two-stage 80-gallon industrial in my shop down to a portable.  The point of this setup is to be quiet enough use it in the house with the small diaphragm compressor.  I never thought this post would turn into a discussion of my air supply, although I did bring it up.  My intent really was to share my inexpensive "paint booth" concept for venting fumes out of the house when painting indoors... fantastic for winter.  My wife says she can't even smell the paint, and I've been spraying with rattle cans today.  Mission accomplished!

• 3 weeks later...

My paint booth has two 127 cfm 12 V explosion proof blowers and removable intake and exhaust filters. It is a bit loud (80 dB) with two blowers. One of them is connected to speed controller, which lowers the volume a lot when using only it and it is well enough for Tamiya spray paints.

The 300W transformer is from a computer but a better transformer is coming.

Painting requires a lot of light, so I bought a 16W 3 meter long led strip. I wrapped it around a plastic pipe and around it came white wood panels and plexiglass. The color temperature of the LED strip can be adjusted from 2700 to 6500 K, but 4000K is good for painting. The lighting intensity can be adjusted between 30 lx and 1200 lx. I covered inside of the booth with white card board and they can be replaced as needed.

The upper part of the front has a plexiglass and the lower part is an openable window with a filter and holes for hands.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

• 4 months later...

This is my take on a spray booth

Base is made from 38x38x3mm square tube - I copied the base I made for my mini lathe

The body is 18mm MDF that has been painted white

It has a 100mm deep drawer to hold all the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that goes with an air brush

The fan is from ??????? - it is old and has never been used - just had to source a capacitor for it 

The light is left over from a job - I am an electrician

The filter is the same as what is used in the house ventilation system - so the thought is to repurpose the filter after it is has been changed in the house. The blue stuff is a sacrificial pre-filter - cheap crappy towel that comes on a roll  

IMG_6173.thumb.JPG.d1a3b27b5db97ba0e5f1d8a66f92ecd3.JPGWork to do yet is to sort out the exhaust tube and mount up my hot box. The hot box needs to be modified with a side opening door rather than a top hinged as at present

IMG_6174.thumb.JPG.5db87cf485a453fec006277360761524.JPG