Model Cars Magazine Forum

Turbonique!

Now I'm a mostly factory stock kinda guy with the occasional vintage exotic thrown in. So when Al Raab contacted me to build this little gem for him, I had no idea what it was!

This is a "turbo axle" that was made by a company called Turbonique back in the '60's. The way it was described was about as close as you could get to jet propulsion for your straight-liner on the strip! :lol:

Here's what you get in his kit...................

Pb223562-vi.jpg

Very easy buildup of this unique addition to rear drag axles in the '60's. Resin is very cleanly molded, and includes some PE parts for some extra detail.

I soaked the parts in Whestley's Bleche White for a few hours to thoroughly clean off any mold release.

Pb243632-vi.jpg

Pb243633-vi.jpg

Kit has neat PE "bolts" for detail.........note the white metal "spark plugs".

Buildup is quick and easy with just some 5 min. epoxy used to affix the parts. Aluminum tubing can be shortened to suit the length of the car. Don't want to melt the back end! :)

Parts were airbrushed with Alclad Aluminum.

Pb243635-vi.jpg

Here's a scanned pic of the axle under a '65 Chevelle.........

TurboniqueAxle2-vi.jpg

TurboniqueAxle1-vi.jpg

Some of you old timers who remember when these were being used would appreciate this. This is the first time I've seen something like this and it was a nice diversion from the usual!

Thanks Al! :rolleyes:

Oh Yes, I DO remember them well! It was a direct drive unit geared directly to the rear pinion. There was a lil Volksie bug outta Long Island New York runnin one. It was in an OOLLLDDD magazine aptly named CARS. There were a few cars on the west coast runnin that setup too. They didn't last long though, if I remember correctly the Drag Raceing Asso.'s (AHRA,NHRA IHRA) didn't really have a class for them. Nice castings,aren't they,Bill? ALL of Alans stuff is that nice and sharp! :(:angry:

Edited by george 53

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That is the Tobacco King's Galaxie. I believe it went to auction last year. There was an article in a past issue of 'Garage' magazine on him and the car. Basic story is rich kid with a penchant for all things fast.

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly wat it was. The turbine shaft was bolted directly to the pinion gear to drive the axles. in the late 60's it was a real innovation! But like I mentioned, the sanctioning bodies couldn't really find a class for it. I THINK the VW running out of L.I. New York was known as the "Thunder Bug" but I could be wrong.

The turbo spun at like 56,000 RPM's geared down to make it managable. They were easy 10 second cars an that's why they were banned. They ran on Hydrogen Peroxide fuel, poured into a fine steel wool like mesh the dissovled INSTANTAINIOUSLY providing the forward thrust, like a rocket. I THINK they were only geared to the axles to make them legal for raceing. I'd hafta look in my old magazines to find out more, but basically that's what it was, IF i remember correctly.biggrin.gif

Yep! evidently the Peroxide and the fine stainless steel mesh were actually VERY volatile when combined. The peroxide created an INSTANT flashpoint within the mesh, it was more like a steel wool looking element an VA-VOOM! Instant trust!!!

Steel wool is actually some useful stuff and very flammable. I saw on one of those survival shows that you can use steel wool and a 9-volt battery to light a fire. Just rub the posts of the battery across a fluffed up pad of steel wool and it sparks to life. It'll burn hot and long enough to dry out whatever kindling you can find. I carry some now in the truck just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Steel wool is actually some useful stuff and very flammable. I saw on one of those survival shows that you can use steel wool and a 9-volt battery to light a fire. Just rub the posts of the battery across a fluffed up pad of steel wool and it sparks to life. It'll burn hot and long enough to dry out whatever kindling you can find. I carry some now in the truck just in case.

Just don't add peroxide....Pretty interesting that they used peroxide to fuel that thing, wonder how many mishaps they had correcting the mixture- peroxide can be very dangerous if played with

Edited by white00gt

• 3 years later...

Now I'm a mostly factory stock kinda guy with the occasional vintage exotic thrown in. So when Al Raab contacted me to build this little gem for him, I had no idea what it was!

This is a "turbo axle" that was made by a company called Turbonique back in the '60's. The way it was described was about as close as you could get to jet propulsion for your straight-liner on the strip! :o

Here's what you get in his kit...................

Pb223562-vi.jpg

Very easy buildup of this unique addition to rear drag axles in the '60's. Resin is very cleanly molded, and includes some PE parts for some extra detail.

I soaked the parts in Whestley's Bleche White for a few hours to thoroughly clean off any mold release.

Pb243632-vi.jpg

Pb243633-vi.jpg

Kit has neat PE "bolts" for detail.........note the white metal "spark plugs".

Buildup is quick and easy with just some 5 min. epoxy used to affix the parts. Aluminum tubing can be shortened to suit the length of the car. Don't want to melt the back end! :)

Parts were airbrushed with Alclad Aluminum.

Pb243635-vi.jpg

Here's a scanned pic of the axle under a '65 Chevelle.........

TurboniqueAxle2-vi.jpg

TurboniqueAxle1-vi.jpg

Some of you old timers who remember when these were being used would appreciate this. This is the first time I've seen something like this and it was a nice diversion from the usual!

Thanks Al! :)

Well, being an ex-racer from the early 2000's, I ran Vortech centrifugal superchargers on my '93 Mustang hatch. I'm familiar with "Turbonetics", but not this early brand. However, the technique is still marketed with moderate success. Instead of standard turbo installs with uppipe, downpipes, etc., all crammed into the engine compartment, newer models mount up into the bottom of the chassis above the rear suspension. You lose some psi potential as the engine exhaust must travel 3/4 the length of the car in order to turn the rotor splines which pump up the returning air psi to the engine input. However, the trade off is the ease of install.

I never did an after market install, but upgraded the turbo/fuel/computer and a front mounted intercooler on my stock Suby STI (300/300 at the flywheel) which got me 370/370 on the all-wheel dyno. It definitely went nuts with a 6-speed, although very smoothly.

Nice Ford!

Here's a link to a short Hot Rod Magazine article on the Turbonique:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0403_turbonique/viewall.html

Interesting to note that it didn't use peroxide as a propellent - that was used on the rocket dragsters/funny cars.

A short Wikipedia article on Isopropyl Nitrate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_nitrate