Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

mrmike

Being a new member here, I thought I would introduce myself with my new project, the Pro Modeler '69 Daytona. In order to build this car with the 426 Hemi motor, I had to find an air cleaner from a Revell '67 Coronet R/T and the exhaust manifolds from AMT/Ertl's '68 Road Runner kits.

Daytona01.jpg

The paint is Tamiya TS-19 Metallic Blue with a white/blue interior.

Daytona02.jpg

The body is in the early stages of clean up.

Daytona03.jpg

I look forward to making some new friends here and I welcome your comments.

More to come.....

Welcome aboard Mike! GREAT subject matter you're starting with! ;)

One of the things to watch out for when building the Daytona------and this would go for all of Revell's '68-'69 Chargers, would be the rear wheel placement. When I built mine years ago, I did a working suspension for mine, but still used the kit's locating points.

Well, after it was all built, I noticed the rear wheels a scooch too forward in the wheelwells. Not very noticeable, but I noticed it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, keep us posted on the progress! I did the same as you--------raided other kits to get a decent stock Hemi. Why Revell chose not to include this option in this (and their other '68-'69 B-Bodies) is beyond me.

It's only one of the rarest cars out there with that engine! :D

...................And so you don't get picked on later............DON'T forget to use a three speed wiper motor in the engine bay!! I forgot this detail on mine and the result for those that know me is legendary! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Bill, I looked through your Fotki album and your Daytona pics. I am in awe of the detail you have added to your Hemi! Excellent work and a beautiful model! Or is it real? :rolleyes: I also noticed the steelies and hub caps on yours, I'll be using the Kelsey-Hayes recall mags from the AMT '69 Barracuda kit on mine. I don't know if there were any Daytonas built with the recall mags, but I think they will make mine a little more unique.

I don't know if there were any Daytonas built with the recall mags, but I think they will make mine a little more unique.

Sure there were, but they were all recalled! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the nice words Mike! I say go ahead a build it with those mags--------------Dodge and the Feds will never know you're runnin' 'em! :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard Mike....you certainly picked a great subject to start your "posting" experience here. And any tips that Bill gives you are worth gold, especially on the Daytona. I noticed that you have been bitten by the same bug that got Dave Susan.....I call it "Clean Workbenchitis". I was wondering, are all your paints in number order? :rolleyes: just kidding. I don't feel comfortable unless I have to forage for 5 minutes to find something on my desk. Anyway, welcome...enjoy!

Thanks Bill and Peter!

Bill, I'll make sure to use the wiper motor. At least this is not an AMT/Ertl kit calling for a horn to be used in that location! :(

Peter, most of my paints are in numerical order, just don't look inside my spray can drawer! I can understand having to forage for stuff on the bench, hence the organization. I usually sit at the bench and just move things around, grab a jar of paint, a brush, apply a dab of paint somewhere, and then start moving things around again for no apparent reason. For a little two minute job, I can unintentionally make a half hour ordeal out of it! :angry:

Edited by mrmike

I've been painting this afternoon while the wife was out Christmas shopping.

Daytona04.jpg

Daytona05.jpg

The engine block is painted with Tamiya TS-31 Bright Orange. I usually use Model Master Hemi Orange, but I wanted a paint that was non-metallic.

Daytona06.jpg

More to come.....

Thanks Ben!

Some progress today! The chassis has been fitted with fuel and brake lines.

Daytona07.jpg

The recall mags are painted and the tires where trimmed in the center to fit the wheels.

Daytona08.jpg

Various chromed parts took a bath in the purple pond and are in the process of being painted. The distributor will be drilled out for plug wires.

Daytona09.jpg

More to come.....

After a rather tough week at work, I found some time to work on the Hemi this evening. I ran a fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbs and I wired up the distributor. I need to add a coil and coil wire and to insert the plug wires into the valve covers.

Daytona10.jpg

Daytona11.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

After a rather tough week at work, I found some time to work on the Hemi this evening. I ran a fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbs and I wired up the distributor. I need to add a coil and coil wire and to insert the plug wires into the valve covers.

Daytona10.jpg

Daytona11.jpg

More to come.....

Suprised I missed this B body, I love Mopars, Muscle cars, Fullsize cars, even Compact to a limit. ( I've got a 1/25th scale dodge Omni :) )

New England will overrun the board...and we're bringing all our snow with us! Well, yours....it appears to have forgotten we were supposed to get four inches down here in New Bedford. I'm not complaining, trust me.

That's coming out very nicely. My dad picked up the standard '68 Charger, he wants to build a model of his first new car, and is now looking for a good LA-Block (his was a 318.)

Charlie Larkin

Thanks guys! I should be able to get more done this afternoon and since I'm on vacation this week (Christmas shopping in the morning, model building in the afternoon), I should be able to get a lot done this week.

Yes Charlie, New England will overrun the board! B) I only got about an inch of snow here (out of the 2 to 4 inches forecasted), so I'll be outside shortly scrapping the sidewalk and driveway. It's not official yet, but winter is here!

Mark, the Revell kit is still available, but the Pro Modeler kit is getting really hard to find. Better get it on your list ASAP!

Edited by mrmike