Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cuttin' up Classic Plastic

Steve H.

This should give some Collectors fits! But hey, the Willys is already built and a few of the pieces for the 32 are missing, so its really not that valuable. I also found a few tire burns on the plastic, so I'm actually doing a good deed by rescuing it from the box! :)

This old kit has been kicking around in my stash for a while and the bug hit last week. I've spent the last week modifying the frame. Right now I need to get the wheel/axle assemblies together so I can finish off the suicide spring perch. Other ideas I plan are a S.C.O.T blown flathead and a chopped Revell 32 grill (can't say I like that custom grill in the kit!). I'll keep the funky "Custom" interior, though.

PC090389-vi.jpg

The frame mods include a C'd rear frame, hogged out the rear spring mount area, added some X bracing, relocated the front crossmember forward, extended the front frame to include frame horns, spreader bar and suicide spring perch. I still need to build some motor mounts and finish off the spring perch. I should also try to scratch some deflated air bags for the rear, to help explain why the suspension is sitting on the frame! :)

PC090399-vi.jpg

Of course, no planning session is complete without the patented "Steve Milberry Spoon Sample"! The paint will be Rust-o-leum Key lime. It doesn't show well in my pics, but this stuff is the brightest green imaginable! The frame, roof insert and interior will be white. I've also got some pinstripe decals from the MPC trikes that should work well with this color.

PC090396-vi.jpg

Wheels and tires are Modelhaus, the finned brake drums are RMCoM. I have a few more items on order from RMCoM that should really work well for this build.

PC090397-vi.jpg

Here's some proof that this kit is really old... (I know it was issued in the early 60's) Gotta love that price for a double kit!

PC100407-vi.jpg

I've been going at it with great enthusiasm, so hopefully I'll have some more pics and info soon.

Funny that everyone should mention off-white... I've been considering it. Pure white would look very "Show Car" while off-white (tamiya racing white or Testors wimbledon white) would give it more of a "past its Show Car prime" look. Since I'm thinking about doing some wear and tear type weathering, maybe it'll be off-white.

I've also been photographing the spring perch scratchbuild, so maybe one of these days I'll post a how-to...