Model Cars Magazine Forum

Orange Peel

I got it .Any way to get rid of it or should I just send it to the stripper?I used two types of Dupli color primers white & grey .I used the three coat approach light.medium & heavy,sanded & spray the dupli color brilliant black& added a lacquer clear.Can I polish or sand the orange peel out?Where to go from here?

Depends on where the orange peel is ..

Did you sand out the primer before applying the top coats ? if not you may have orange peel showing though from the primer, in this case you won't get rid of it, if it's in the top colour coat, you may have to flat past the clear to get rid of it, if it's simply in the final clear coat, a light sand and polish will sort it out.

post-5225-1259414153_thumb.jpg

I got it .Any way to get rid of it or should I just send it to the stripper?I used two types of Dupli color primers white & grey .I used the three coat approach light.medium & heavy,sanded & spray the dupli color brilliant black& added a lacquer clear.Can I polish or sand the orange peel out?Where to go from here?

Orange peel happens when the paint drys too fast. Paint needs to settle down, even out and as an aspect of it's drying - shrink tight and smooth. Orange peel is just wavy lumps of the paint and yes it can be sanded and polished provided you do not remove a lot of detail.

Personally, when that happens to me I aquire another body or strip the one I have. But then I paint with an airbrush and usually thin the paint so it takes many coats to cover completely. Shiny or not, then I can polish and clearcoat after dry.