Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which 70 Chevelle SS is better?

youll have less headaches with the monogram

I also preferred the Monogram. I made the mistake of painting my AMT one white, then smudged up the painted areas around the headlights trying to install the headlight bezels into the body. I was a kid then, and may have better luck with a little more patience these days, but that's the one thing that stands out in my mind about the AMT- the smudges on the front end.

This subject was actually hashed out in the " OTHER " magazine about fifteen years ago . I think I still may have that issue in the attic too. Monograms Chevelle barely inched out A M T's Chevell , but it was by a slim margin . The author was actually refering to things like the depth of the engraving on the door panels and the shape of the grille opening. I have the origional issue of the Monogram Chevelle somewhere m just never got around to building it . I guess I should as I sold a couple of them new when I was in the car business back in the day too. I drove a silver one with a red interior , automatic , P B , P S and the stripe delete . I always thought the 1969 was a much prettier car though . Ed Shaver

I've built both. And The Monogram is a better looking kit.

Just recently picked up the Baldwin/Motion Monogram Kit,

and I'm already looking forward to building it.....................

as soon as I get the other dozen kits I'm currently working on finished. :)

Edited by CJTORINO

the Monogram version has been issued in a few different variations over the years and is still in Revell's catalog as the 3-n-1 kit and the Baldwin Motion version. AMT's too has probably been issued a few times over the years in different variations. the Monogram kit is simplified, but not "crude" and that's where the real difference is in my opinion. the AMT kit is crude and poorly detailed. where it seems to come out ahead of the old Monogram offering is the grille and headlights which look better and more like the 1:1. at one point too, maybe the early to mid-90's the AMT kit included a pretty nice electronic fuel injection system as an option as well as some nice Weld wheels. not to be confused with the popular Weld Draglite, the wheels i think are the Evo's?

the Revell snap kit is nice too, probably the best "body" out of them all. being just a curbside it's not really comparable though to the other kits.

Dave

I've only seen pics of the Revell snap kit, and the hood dome seems too small or narrow. I have two almost completed old builds of the original Monogram kit. Any day now..... The AMT kits of both the '70 and the '72 have the hood flapper molded in the closed position. Correct when the engine is running, it opens when the engine is shut off. Or, it opens when you floor it! I know, having owned a '70 SS454 El Camino.....sigh. And I sold it! :D 20 years ago now. But I have a '72, with SS hood.

Edited by Modellpularn

I may be a little late to the party here but I have always thought that the front of the Revell kit is too flat. it should have more of a "peak" in the center of the grille. AMT got this part right IMO, but yeah, the rest of the newer Revell kit is better.