Model Cars Magazine Forum

40 Fordswagon Beatle "An Altered State of Mind"

Jason Vandergriff

Well A few weeks ago in Atlanta I was browsing the vendor area and came across some Jimmy Flinstone resins for sale. I was looking for something weird and seen the 40 ford beatle cross he had for sale. $10 later it was heading home with me. Since I could make it a stock custom but that would be boring how about a lowered v8 powered rwd beatle? Since the body didnt have opening doors or hood I started cutting when I got home. An hour later I had 2 opened doors and a hood that was ready for rework. Once I got the body to this stage I started drafting plans for the floorpan and firewall. I also managed to do a quick sketch of what I wanted it to look like. Using index cards to keep up with ideas taped to a piece of glass is awesome cause its all there and waitng for you. Now a pic of how it currently sits.

post-3656-1259650853_thumb.jpg

th_models107.jpgth_models108.jpgth_models109.jpgth_models110.jpgth_models111.jpg

Edited by Jason Vandergriff

Thanks Eric. It is a 40 ford front and Im thinking of opening it up some more and using a 40 ford std grill not a deluxe. Plus I already have the photoetch for it I bought for another project Ill bring to next years show thats been completed for a long time. Now for a small update I found a floor pan in a parts box of mine that will be donating its transmission tunnel. Ill have some floor pan work done tonight in plastic. Once i get the floor done I can move to the suspension and frame work. Motor will be a Ford for now but I have TPI injected chevy but I kinda had other plans for it but if it looks cool under the hood then maybe.

Hey Jason

Nicc build you got going there, I really like what you are doing with it. Thought I would show you the one I did a couple of months ago just as a break.

That looks nice. What colors are on that thing? I got part of the floor pan done today then I had to get some sleep. These 4 am mornings for work are killer. Ill have a floor pan update tonight here in a little bit.

Time for a floorpan update. Took some .020 flat stock and my index card template and started tracing it out. At first I had the rear wheel tubs and all included but they just didnt want to cooperate with me. So I cut em off and dug out a willys kit off the shelf and stole a spare floor pan. Once i had an idea of what needed to be removed I got the saw busy. Not much left of the willys floor pan. For the trans tunnel I used a floor pan from a monroe handler kit that I am working on but its getting all new updated drivetrain so it wasnt getting used anyways. Ive got a few spots to work and putty then time to build the frame. here is a few pics of the tub installed and out of the body.

th_models115.jpgth_models117.jpgth_models119.jpgth_models121.jpgth_models123.jpgth_models126.jpgth_models129.jpgth_models130.jpg

Hey Jason:

You must be a night owl. The floor pan is looking good, I assume your going with a tube chassis.

For the color base coat of black, pearl flames and rattlesnake over top which is what provide the color shift.

JOn

Not really a night owl just my work schedule has me sleeping afternoons and I get up about midnight and have a few hours to work. I am going with a tube chassis all the way with independant rear suspension that will be scratchbuilt. I start on it tonight and cant wait. Ill update a little later today again with rear suspension devolopment. Im starting with a 9in for center section and building from there.

Bob I sent you a pm regarding that. Look for it next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent time working on the chassis tonight. The idea I had of making the chassis the lower a-arm mount points was great but it didnt work out in the end. I realizes that there just isnt enough strength to make it feasable. Ill start over again tomorrow and Ill add a-arm from channel or sheet stock. I do plan on the suspension having a little travel in it. Front will be easy except for the working scratchbuilt rack. Pics when I get awake in the morning of the frame attempt.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for pics of whats been happening with this one. I didnt like how the roof was crooked so I cut up a junker body i had laying around and replaced mine. I have also opend the grill up spme to look like Harry's photochop of 40 ford pick up. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23716 Ill be using the side skirt idea as well. I didnt like how i didnt get the tunnel centered on the 1st floor pan so i cust it apart and did it again. Lots better this time. Frame work went south but Im going to try again sometime this week. Heres a few pics from the phone.

40ford-after.jpg

th_SU1HMDAwMzMtMjAwOTEyMjgtMDIxMC5qcGc.jpg

th_SU1HMDAwMzItMjAwOTEyMjgtMDIxMC5qcGc.jpg

th_SU1HMDAwMzEtMjAwOTEyMjgtMDIxMC5qcGc.jpg

th_SU1HMDAwMzAtMjAwOTEyMjgtMDIwOS5qcGc.jpg

th_SU1HMDAwMjktMjAwOTEyMjgtMDIwOS5qcGc.jpg

Edited by Jason Vandergriff

• 1 month later...

Well after a needed break I jumped back on this one. Redid the lower windshield area from where i swapped the roof built the rear and finalized the wheels. Prob gonna keep it kind of simple in order to finish it for Birmingham. Rotors will be a kit rotor cleaned up. Motor will be coming from a amt Nascar t-bird.

th_40beatle034.jpgth_40beatle035.jpgth_40beatle038.jpgth_40beatle039.jpgth_40beatle040.jpgth_40beatle041.jpgth_40beatle042.jpg

• 6 months later...

Been a while since ive done anything with this. I finally got the frame partly worked out rear suspension is almost done except for shocks. I built rear spindles from square stock drilled and sanded to get a nice looking piece. Started at the lower a arm mound and worked my way up saving the wheel mount for last. Using 1/16 round stock for my center pin that my wheel would attach to. Ill redrill the back of the spindle for the drive shaft.For the upper arm i took .050 solder and my needle nose flattened an end out and drilled with a 70 bit cause im using pins to attach everything. Had i cut the rear arms loose the suspension would work. heres a few pics of whats been done.

SANY0208.jpg

SANY0207.jpg

SANY0205.jpg

SANY0204.jpg

SANY0202.jpg