Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tony Nancy Revell-Liner Dragster Colors

Ace

The kit calls for "Candy Yellow-Gold." I can't find this color anywhere. Maybe Revell offered it back in the day.

What Yellow should I use on this kit? Chrome Yellow? Insignia Yellow? Bright Yellow? Any suggestions?

Any pics of this dragster available? I can't find any with Google.

Thanks!

Well, looking at the box pics, if the "Candy Yellow-Gold" indicates a metallic look to it, Testor's Modelmaster bright yellow over a base of gold might do it. Nothing you probably haven't already thought of, but hey, figured I'd respond. That one is on my build list, so please let us know what you went with and how it turned out.

The kit calls for "Candy Yellow-Gold." I can't find this color anywhere. Maybe Revell offered it back in the day.

What Yellow should I use on this kit? Chrome Yellow? Insignia Yellow? Bright Yellow? Any suggestions?

Any pics of this dragster available? I can't find any with Google.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the box illustration isn't worth a toot. Looks somewhere between Insignia Yellow and Chrome Yellow to me. Future will give it a proper gloss look. Anyway, that's what I'll go with unless I can find a pic that clearly shows a metallic gold color beneath a transparent yellow top coat.

Looks like half the chrome will have to be stripped with bleach and repainted with a metalizer. If I get up the nerve I'll mask the edge of the decal on the front "wing" and properly create the fade effect with the red. The decal doesn't do it justice here. Hmmm.... Otherwise, decals look good.

Cool looking kit--molding looks good. Flash on the corner of one tree, but no biggy. I would prefer the driver in a seated position so I could put him in the seat. Maybe I'll preform a little surgery.....

I haven't built one of these before. What do you glue the slick halves together with? Styrene cement, epoxy or super glue?

First of all, there are many more qualified to help you than I am on this site. What do you think about the color of his front engine dragster? Is it the same color with a slightly different scheme? A few decent pics of the FED on google images. And again, some others may have better advice, but I use the super glue on the slicks, but be careful to keep it inside, it does 'whiten', for lack of a better term, those places it touches.

Unfortunately, the box illustration isn't worth a toot. Looks somewhere between Insignia Yellow and Chrome Yellow to me. Future will give it a proper gloss look. Anyway, that's what I'll go with unless I can find a pic that clearly shows a metallic gold color beneath a transparent yellow top coat.

Looks like half the chrome will have to be stripped with bleach and repainted with a metalizer. If I get up the nerve I'll mask the edge of the decal on the front "wing" and properly create the fade effect with the red. The decal doesn't do it justice here. Hmmm.... Otherwise, decals look good.

Cool looking kit--molding looks good. Flash on the corner of one tree, but no biggy. I would prefer the driver in a seated position so I could put him in the seat. Maybe I'll preform a little surgery.....

I haven't built one of these before. What do you glue the slick halves together with? Styrene cement, epoxy or super glue?

I would prefer the driver in a seated position so I could put him in the seat. Maybe I'll preform a little surgery.....

Would one of the NASCAR seated drivers work? Maybe a head swap if the helmets are different...

Just a thought.

Where can you get these drivers? I have one of those Fujimi drivers kits, but they are a bit pricy. And what the heck am I going to do with a 1/24 scale plastic woman in a bathing suit??? I'd rather have another driver in the box!

Checking out the front engine Nancy dragster was a good idea. Looks like a lot of depth in that paint job.... The rather "warm" orange tint makes me think Insignia Yellow might be the way to go--maybe spray it over a gold or silver undercoat?

Are talking about the rear engine car?

If so, these photos probably won't be much help either but the paint on both cars was very similar.

ocir026-vi.jpg

ocir027-vi.jpg

ocir028-vi.jpg

ocir029-vi.jpg

I shot these at Orange County Raceway in 1970.

I remember this being one of the most beautiful fuelers of the day.

The car has some orange fogging in the there that you can just barely see in the photos.

I think if I was going to try to paint a model of this today I would use regular solid colors, something like chrome yellow and some orange, and then shoot the whole thing with a clear pearl. ( I think Tamiya makes a clear pearl)

It's a challenging paint job, that's for sure.

2002: Yep, I'm building the Revell-Liner rear engine. Thanks for the pics and the recommendations. I'll look into that clear pearl. Sounds cool.

Camaroman: Thanks for checking the box! If you want the 1/24 babe in the one piece, she's yours! ;-)

• 6 years later...