Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone seen these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BILL-DRENNENS-ALUMINUM...=item33585708f1

Anyone have something like this but in a descent price range?

I don't know if you will ever find any turned alum. wheels at a low price, just toooo much work. I have a guy that is working on some milled alum. bumpers for me and I asked him about trying to do some wheels and breathers for me as well, not sure if it will work out yet, if it dose I will post some pics of them on here when they are done.

Edited by Porky

I would JUMP at the chance to own these wheels. I machined the rims and all the 60 lug nuts for the truck in my avatar. The front rims took me 6 hours a piece and the rears took 8 hours a piece. That does not include the time to do the lug nuts and the "hog's head" on the rear wheels. So let's see, that is 6 x 2 plus 8 x 4 and that equals 44 hours. His price is $59. So $59 divided by 44 is $1.34 and hour. If you can find someone to machine rims (or anything for that matter) for $1.34 an hour, MAN YOU BETTER JUMP AT THE CHANCE! I wish I had known about these, this would have saved me a lot of time (not to mention the 2 and a half hours into the second rim when I screwed it up and had to start all over again!)

At $59 dollars (let's say 60 for easy math), that is 10 bucks a wheels. If you had a machine shop do it for you, there is no way they could buy the aluminum, write the program, cut the wheels and sell those for 10 bucks a wheel. You should get them......but that's just the machinist in me talking!!!

David

I would JUMP at the chance to own these wheels. I machined the rims and all the 60 lug nuts for the truck in my avatar. The front rims took me 6 hours a piece and the rears took 8 hours a piece. That does not include the time to do the lug nuts and the "hog's head" on the rear wheels. So let's see, that is 6 x 2 plus 8 x 4 and that equals 44 hours. His price is $59. So $59 divided by 44 is $1.34 and hour. If you can find someone to machine rims (or anything for that matter) for $1.34 an hour, MAN YOU BETTER JUMP AT THE CHANCE! I wish I had known about these, this would have saved me a lot of time (not to mention the 2 and a half hours into the second rim when I screwed it up and had to start all over again!)

At $59 dollars (let's say 60 for easy math), that is 10 bucks a wheels. If you had a machine shop do it for you, there is no way they could buy the aluminum, write the program, cut the wheels and sell those for 10 bucks a wheel. You should get them......but that's just the machinist in me talking!!!

David

Your right on it,,if my guy can end up cutting them for me, they will be closer to 100.00 a set I would say,,,and I dont think you will buy that set on e-bay for the 59.99 startin bid,,,I would say they bring well over 100.00, I have seen the same Drennen wheel set fetch 250.00 on fee bay before, so mark it watch it and let ya jaw drop at the end of it,,,

I have two sets. Bought em’ about 10 or 12 years ago. Got them from Bill himself. I use to talk to Bill Dreenan back then. He stopped making them because he lost a ton of money selling them. Soon after Bill introduced them somebody offered some similar aluminum wheels for about $25 a piece! They are prefect replicas. When polished on a lathe, they look EXACTLY like the real wheels. Just to buy some correctly scaled scale acorn nuts to match them for a tandem model will cost you about $40! They look great with the Clint Freeman low profile tires. As was stated above, KFS offers a set for $100 or so and IMHO they are not as prototype. The final bid will be at least 3 times as much.

I understand what the price is verse the cost of making them, but I just am not into semi's enough to buy them (even if they are cheap). Hopefully one of you guys will pick them up, but what other options are out there at a descent price?

resin ones will run you about 20-25 bucks, but you will need to paint or chrome them.

try going to your local tech school that offers machine shop that has a c& c machine. talk to the principal about that. my local area tech school did a set for me for cost of the material. after all the teacher was teaching " how to do it" . just an idea.

try going to your local tech school that offers machine shop that has a c& c machine. talk to the principal about that. my local area tech school did a set for me for cost of the material. after all the teacher was teaching " how to do it" . just an idea.

Hmmmmmm!