Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '49 Ford Coupe

Chuck Most

Not ALL AMT's latest reissues are decontented, you know!

Case in point- the latest go-round of the venerable 'Shoebox' kit.

As far as parts content goes, it's pretty much as we've known it since at least the mid '80's- stock version, plus the custom Cadillac V8, bucket seats, custom grille surround with two inserts, stock or custom taillamps, and the like.

It's pretty much status quo from the last reissue, except this time it's done in white plastic, and the castings seem an awful lot cleaner than in past repops. The chrome plating is also very nice, none of that thick, glopped-on junk from the mid-to-late period of the hated RC2/Learning Curve regime! ;)

Also, AMT seems to be using a less-glossy vinyl to make it's tires, which helps the tires look quite a bit more realistic. The vinyl seems a bit softer than in the past, too.

About the only key difference in content is the decal sheet- you get some somewhat crude period-style flames, and a bonus 'Street Rods' logo adhesive sticker comes with. Two Michigan plates are also included... always a plus in this humble Michiganite's book!

If the '33 Willys, '55 Nomad, and '57 reissues lack of all the cool parts you remember got you down, may I suggest this latest '49 offering! I've got one, and I know I'll be obtaining several more in the coming months!

Not ALL AMT's latest reissues are decontented, you know!

Case in point- the latest go-round of the venerable 'Shoebox' kit.

As far as parts content goes, it's pretty much as we've known it since at least the mid '80's- stock version, plus the custom Cadillac V8, bucket seats, custom grille surround with two inserts, stock or custom taillamps, and the like.

It's pretty much status quo from the last reissue, except this time it's done in white plastic, and the castings seem an awful lot cleaner than in past repops. The chrome plating is also very nice, none of that thick, glopped-on junk from the mid-to-late period of the hated RC2/Learning Curve regime! :D

Also, AMT seems to be using a less-glossy vinyl to make it's tires, which helps the tires look quite a bit more realistic. The vinyl seems a bit softer than in the past, too.

About the only key difference in content is the decal sheet- you get some somewhat crude period-style flames, and a bonus 'Street Rods' logo adhesive sticker comes with. Two Michigan plates are also included... always a plus in this humble Michiganite's book!

If the '33 Willys, '55 Nomad, and '57 reissues lack of all the cool parts you remember got you down, may I suggest this latest '49 offering! I've got one, and I know I'll be obtaining several more in the coming months!

Hey! A review without photos is like... well, you know... pizza without beer! :lol:

I received one of these from Hobbylinc.com a few days ago and can agree with Chuck. Great old kit with very good chrome and almost no flash and I noticed the difference in the tires too. I may try to post some pics tomorrow if I'm not too wiped out from working night shift. The price was great too - 12.59. This is the regular price and not a sale price.

oldscool - nightstalker

Edited by oldscool

Sorry- can't help much with photos of the kit itself (I've already ripped into it- I'm kind of known for that!), but the decal sheet is still intact- I'll post a photo of that as quickly as possible.

On de udder hand, I'm planning to pick up another one tomorrow... yeah, why don't I just photograph the second kit, BEFORE I commence ripping it to shreds, huh?

As far as the rest of the kit? Uh... take out any of the '49's you already have on your shelf, but picture the parts inside with slightly better molding quality, and molded in white plastic. Oh, and picture it with a runner marked 'remove' in each of the windsheild panes, something I don't remember from previous issues.

And the rest

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

There are some fairly large mold lines on the front of the body. The only things I didn't photograph are the clear parts and the engine stand which I have already put to use. The decal flames are a joke to me and could only belong on something from a cartoon but at least we get license plates. The mini kit box is kinda neat as is the street rods sticker.

Hope this is helpful to some of you guys.

oldscool - nightstalker

Edited by oldscool

• 3 years later...