Model Cars Magazine Forum

16.5" Ford XLT Wheel Covers.

This kit-

2260must.jpg

Has very similar wheels, although they might not have enough little fins to be the same as the truck. I have a couple at home from a parts kit I picked up last nite. I'll measure to see what size they scale out to. They might be 15", but could be around 16", I'm not sure. I wonder if the hub and lugnuts could be removed, and replaced with resin dirt track car pieces, then cast in resin...?

I'll get back to ya on the size, and take some closer up photos of the wheel this evening.

Well they're not really that close, just kinda reminiscent of the truck wheels. They have 16 holes/spokes.

20091214_671-vi.jpg

They measure out to about the right size.

20091214_672-vi.jpg

They kinda fit the tires from the Revell F350. You can't see, but it's in there loose.

20091214_673-vi.jpg

They fit these Goodyears better. They're too big for the ones with "255/60/R15" on them, but will fit the ones that only say "FLEXTEN". I don't really have any other big tires to test fit.

20091214_676-vi.jpg

Here's how they look under the F350 cab.

20091214_674-vi.jpg

They're a bit off, and most notably need a new centercap and 2x the lugnuts, plus the spokes/holes aren't exactly right.

Chuck, Revell made an old snapper Trans Am in black with caps that look per near whatcha got there. They'd need ta have that center hub and lugs attached, but the outer "spokie" area looks dead nuts to yer truck wheels. I THINK i only have one layin round here somewheres. IF i can find it, I'll send it to ya and MAYBE you could get it cast. Try Alan Raab, He's GREAT for doin one off odd ball stuff!

Chuck, Revell made an old snapper Trans Am in black with caps that look per near whatcha got there. They'd need ta have that center hub and lugs attached, but the outer "spokie" area looks dead nuts to yer truck wheels. I THINK i only have one layin round here somewheres. IF i can find it, I'll send it to ya and MAYBE you could get it cast. Try Alan Raab, He's GREAT for doin one off odd ball stuff!

George, you mean these?

197979ta20.jpg

1981c1981pc2.jpg

The fins definitely look better, but they almost look too concave, and I wonder if the size is right. Definitely worth looking into!

Well they're not really that close, just kinda reminiscent of the truck wheels. They have 16 holes/spokes.

20091214_671-vi.jpg

They measure out to about the right size.

20091214_672-vi.jpg

They kinda fit the tires from the Revell F350. You can't see, but it's in there loose.

20091214_673-vi.jpg

They fit these Goodyears better. They're too big for the ones with "255/60/R15" on them, but will fit the ones that only say "FLEXTEN". I don't really have any other big tires to test fit.

20091214_676-vi.jpg

Here's how they look under the F350 cab.

20091214_674-vi.jpg

They're a bit off, and most notably need a new centercap and 2x the lugnuts, plus the spokes/holes aren't exactly right.

Eric, that is pretty darn close. Here are two pictures of my old truck with the hubcaps......

my1991Fordtruck.jpg

my1991Fordtruck5.jpg

If you guys decide to cast a few in resin, please let me know. Been wanting to do a model of my '91 for a LONG time.

• 6 months later...

Thought I had something here...

These wheels are on a TootsieToy '57 Chevy. They measure out to exactly 16.5" in 1/24 scale. They have 16 holes, and are 6-lug. I remembered this thread, and went searching for it... I find the thread and re-read it just to find out (again) that the 1:1 is 8-lug, and has 24 holes in the wheels... Oh well. Here are some pics of the source of these wheels, in case anyone wants to try to use some on a model. They'd need some work to fit a model, probably just need to be cut down to take the width off the back side of them.

02072010001-vi.jpg

02072010002-vi.jpg

02072010003-vi.jpg

02072010004-vi.jpg