Model Cars Magazine Forum

US Army Corbitt Class 155 Crash Truck

Now that the Pierce Arrow is done I'm getting started on a new project. This time I'm going slightly military with a crash truck that was first developed at the close of World War 2. The Class 155 was built on a Corbitt, Brockway or Kenworth chassis. American LaFrance did much of the body work. Below is a pic of the truck and some early construction pics of the frame so far. it is a large truck with a 197" wheel base from center of front wheels to center of the tandems.

ArmyClass155apparatus2.jpg

The frame is two Mack frames spliced together to get the right length. The tires and wheels are resin castings made to represent the 12.00x20 tires the truck had. I used the Mack rear ends from the Rubber Duck kit and then modified them to look like the type with torque rods that were used on the Corbitt. Springs front and rear are brass strips soldered at the ends. The axles were drilled out so that I could insert brass tubing to hold the tubing rods of the next size down. It eliminates a lot of play in the axles and wheels by doing that.

008-1.jpg

001-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-3.jpg

Chariot,(Do you have a name?)

Do you have other projects you have completed in the past? I would like to see more of your work. Maybe a photo site with your pics.

The detail and craftsmanship you incorporate into your projects is spectacular. I am looking forward to following this.

I feel the same as Ben, it is a shame to have this work covered with paint, But then, the Pierce Arrow was beautiful afterwards.

Les

Charlie, absolutley amazing, every time I look at it.

Did you make the steering gear functional, like on the P/A?

Not on this one. That steering box on the P-A was a bear! I'll just go for posable front wheels. There is enough to do with all of the detail and such and I don't have the luxury of actual measurements. This one is strictly what I can see in photos and what I can glean from the two technical manuals I was able to obtain.

Chariot,(Do you have a name?)

Do you have other projects you have completed in the past? I would like to see more of your work. Maybe a photo site with your pics.

The detail and craftsmanship you incorporate into your projects is spectacular. I am looking forward to following this.

I feel the same as Ben, it is a shame to have this work covered with paint, But then, the Pierce Arrow was beautiful afterwards.

Les

Les: Go to photobucket. My work is under "firemodeler"

Charlie