Model Cars Magazine Forum

McLaren MP4/6 Long Term WIP

Scale-Master

I started this kit about 2-3 months ago (Sept/Oct 09), but with other obligations it has progressed somewhat slowly. While I have a handful of sub-assemblies in progress, including the body, these are just the first to be far enough along to show anything of tangible progress. The kit is being built straight out of the box and will represent the car as it was at the German GP. The only addition is decals, mostly in the form of composite patterns.

The headers were cleaned up and painted, including shading, as individual pieces, then assembled and the seams addressed and blended. Tamiya lacquers (base color) and acrylics (shading/staining) were used.

DSC08189.jpg

DSC08190.jpg

The airbox is covered with mostly ScaleMotorSport C/F decals. Some additional shading was done with Tamiya Smoke.

DSC08191.jpg

The transmission color was mixed per the instructions with acrylics. However, the engine block was shot with a very dark gray instead of black. It will be "adjusted" as the build progresses.

DSC08193.jpg

More as it grows...

Edited by Scale-Master

oh this is going to be great, ive wanted to follow a build of one of these forever.

are you going to do full detail, or omit the stuff necessary to get the body panels on? or are you going to challenge that limitation by making it all fit under the body panels?

The front wing end plates are finished. The C/F is ScaleMotorSports Hi-Def decal.

I planned to use only Tamiya paints for the body exterior. (TS-26 for the White.) Unfortunately even though I “snuck up†with very light coats of clear (TS-13) over the decals, when the third coat was drying, the Goodyear decals cracked up. The odd part is that they came apart several hours after the application, but I had set the parts out to dry in the sun, possibly the reason for the cracking.

I created a new set of Goodyear decals and had better luck with the clear, but I did not put them in the sun to dry this time either.

The wing adjustment holes were drilled out, but otherwise these parts are just the way they come in the kit.

DSC08264.jpg

DSC08263.jpg

DSC08265.jpg

This is very nice clean modeling. Am I safe in assuming that this is the new Hasagawa kit? The 1/20 scale one. I have that kit and plan on starting it sometime in the future. I love the attention to detail you are showing....really great......I will watch this for tips on when I build my kit. You are off to a great start.

OK, well 1/20 or 1/12, you are still doing a beautiful job on it...I am looking forward to following this thread. I enjoy the customs, street rods and sports cars, but I really love the older F1 cars...back when the driver was an intricate part of the race and not every square inch of body was covered in sponsor decals. I built the Tamiya 1/20 MP4/5 with Senna driving and have the Hasagawa 1/20 MP4/6 to go with it....I will also have "my guy" Senna driving that one too.

• 1 month later...

The radiators and ducts were done a few weeks ago, but there has not been much sunshine to shoot them in until recently. I made the decals for the Calsonic lettering, (had a problem with the ones in the kit cracking), a little wash brought out the depth, and the bright silver plumbing was brush painted using a Tamiya Mini 4WD paint pen's paint mixed with mineral spirts. Not as bright as sprayed Alclad or Alsa chrome paint maybe, but certaily bright and very easy to work with. And yes, it does dry fully in a few hours.

DSC08354.jpg

DSC08355.jpg

The trans/rear suspension/engine assembly is growing too. ScaleMotorSports decals were used for the shock arms, fronts were done at the same time as the rears for continuity.

DSC08356.jpg

DSC08357.jpg

The injectors are almost done too. SMS C/F decals on the airbox base.

DSC08353.jpg

DSC08351.jpg

DSC08352.jpg

That's all I have to show for now...

• 2 months later...

Little by little I am making progress on this project. Many parts and pieces are being worked on, but these are the first (only) completed sub-assemblies I have been able to get done since the last time I posted anything on this. I still maintain it is a nice kit, I really wish I could dedicate more time to it, as it is an enjoyable kit.

Just OOB, a little shadowing with washes and dry brushing of parts that will be mostly out of sight once the car is completed. Colors are Tamiya, both lacquers and acrylics. The calipers and rotor faces were sprayed, the hubs and details brush painted (didn't feel like masking...) More when it happens...

DSC08738.jpg

DSC08737.jpg

• 5 months later...

More work to show on the McLaren... Wow, five months since I posted anything on this? Sure is nice to get some building accomplished on it...

The chassis pan is pretty much done. Opted to go with paint instead of decals...

DSC09149.jpg

I used the Tamiya kit provided foil for the internal heat shield.

DSC09148.jpg

I also painted most of the cockpit exterior, but will accent it with some C/F decals. Seat is ready for the harnesses...

DSC09150.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...