Model Cars Magazine Forum

McLaren MP4/6 Long Term WIP

Scale-Master

• 5 months later...

I left the body to dry in a closet for a little more than the last five months due to the paint wrinkling issue. It seemed like it had cured and might be stable…

DSC09795.jpg

So I sanded out the defects and reshot a white base and built up and blended the TS-36 Fluorescent Red into the rest of the rear section. It looks like I may be on my way to saving it as it still looks like this after about 24 hours… Only time will tell…

DSC09913.jpg

• 2 years later...

The radiators and ducts were done a few weeks ago, but there has not been much sunshine to shoot them in until recently. I made the decals for the Calsonic lettering, (had a problem with the ones in the kit cracking), a little wash brought out the depth, and the bright silver plumbing was brush painted using a Tamiya Mini 4WD paint pen's paint mixed with mineral spirts. Not as bright as sprayed Alclad or Alsa chrome paint maybe, but certaily bright and very easy to work with. And yes, it does dry fully in a few hours.

DSC08354.jpg

DSC08355.jpg

The trans/rear suspension/engine assembly is growing too. ScaleMotorSports decals were used for the shock arms, fronts were done at the same time as the rears for continuity.

DSC08356.jpg

DSC08357.jpg

The injectors are almost done too. SMS C/F decals on the airbox base.

DSC08353.jpg

DSC08351.jpg

DSC08352.jpg

That's all I have to show for now...

Hi Bud,the build quality is fantastic but if you dont mind me saying,the suspension isnt carbon fibre or at least they are plain black?

Dont mind at all Terry, thanks. But it was corrected a good 3 & 1/2 years ago as shown in post #23 in this thread.

The rear suspension/transmission is pretty much done...

DSC09455.jpg

DSC09460.jpg

DSC09459.jpg

I had some conflicting info when I was building that section early on, but found some photos and painted them.

Coincidentally I was just looking at this project last night thinking I should resume it and maybe finish it

Dont mind at all Terry, thanks. But it was corrected a good 3 & 1/2 years ago as shown in post #23 in this thread.

I had some conflicting info when I was building that section early on, but found some photos and painted them.

Coincidentally I was just looking at this project last night thinking I should resume it and maybe finish it

That looks fab now!!

The exhaust and engine block etc top notch.

Terry

OK, this thing has been sitting for a quite a while due to the paint fighting with itself on the main body. Most of the car is done; I just need to finish the body. A few times I sanded out the wrinkles (on the right rear) and touched up the paint only to have the issue come back a month or so later, so I stopped touching it up but continued to sand out the wrinkles as they appeared every few months. I thought I had won the battle back in April 2012, but sadly the same thing happened a little while after I painted it once again.

I continued to sand it as problems manifested, but I noticed it has been pretty stable all year.

Its been about 6-8 months since I last sanded the problem area and it looked the same as when I last checked.

First I had to blend the white base in, and I found by tinting white primer with yellow and pink I could apply less paint and get an even blendable base. Then I started building up the Fluorescent Red.

You can see what I painted yesterday does not match, (it is too pale and lacking vibrancy, and not 100% uniform), but it is all the paint I can apply this round.

DSC03952_zpsb28df725.jpg

Today I built up some more TS-36. Still not there, but getting closer

DSC03956_zps639cce70.jpg

It still needs another round of paint, but Ill probably let this dry for a while to make masking easier

• 3 weeks later...

The chassis pan is now attached and the engine is almost done... I have also been working on the the body/paint. Photos of that when it is safe to handle...

DSC09500.jpg

DSC09502.jpg

DSC09503.jpg

HI Bud,

Can I ask,how did you paint the Honda writing etc? Silver pen?

Thanks

Terry

HI Bud,

Can I ask,how did you paint the Honda writing etc? Silver pen?

Thanks

Terry

I just freehanded over the molded in detail with a #0 brush and some Tamiya X-11 chrome silver paint.

At this time the paint I shot about 3 weeks ago to repair the area that went wonky is still stable appearing. I'll give it a little longer before I attempt the (hopefully) final repaint.

It's looking good, even with all the issues you had with the paint. Sometimes setting things aside for awhile and coming back to them later, gives you a fresh perspective on how to tackle those stubborn issues.

Thanks! While that is true, in this case it's been a waiting game due to the paint doing odd and ugly things weeks and months after it supposedly had dried and cured. Once it is stable I'll resume the final paint work and button it up. Its been sitting like this in my showcase for about 3 years.

DSC04044_zps68b6fe5b.jpg

DSC04042_zpsacaf916e.jpg

DSC04043_zpsa38c983f.jpg

DSC04045_zps5ca11780.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Mark is having trouble posting, so he asked me to add this update from him...

It’s been well over a year since I last updated the work I’ve been doing on the body.  Every month or two I’d color sand the wrinkles and let it set only to have new ones appear.  I’d sand them out and wait and repeat.  Looks like it might have finally stabilized, but I won’t be too surprised if it reoccurs either.  After all, it’s been the better part of five years since I started painting the body…

Last night I took another stab at it and after sanding out some ripples I blended in some red on the right side and sharpened up the lines on the front with some white.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Scale-Master/media/McLaren%20MP4%206/DSC05940_zpsizpe3bac.jpg.html]DSC05940_zpsizpe3bac.jpg[/URL]

Don't know why the URL gibberish posted too... but at least the photo came through.

Edited by Harry P.