Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Nova Convertible by Trumpeter

gus220

I hadn't heard any negative remarks about the kit so I thought I'd try one. Well....this kit basicly went together pretty good.....until, I tried to put the chassis and body together, the dash doesn't line up to the windsheild, the firewall wont meet the cowl, and I had to rework the rear mounting tabs on the rear bumper, where they had it, it looked like it was hanging off the body. And those PI parts for the hood hinge's, forget it. Every time I'd try to cut and trim one of the ends the others would just fall off, so guess what? The're not being used. On top of all this the hood won't lay flat because the front edge is molded wrong. I'v built the 60 Bonneville and have it displayed but this one will stay in the basement I'm afraid. ;)

I hadn't heard any negative remarks about the kit so I thought I'd try one. Well....this kit basicly went together pretty good.....until, I tried to put the chassis and body together, the dash doesn't line up to the windsheild, the firewall wont meet the cowl, and I had to rework the rear mounting tabs on the rear bumper, where they had it, it looked like it was hanging off the body. And those PI parts for the hood hinge's, forget it. Every time I'd try to cut and trim one of the ends the others would just fall off, so guess what? The're not being used. On top of all this the hood won't lay flat because the front edge is molded wrong. I'v built the 60 Bonneville and have it displayed but this one will stay in the basement I'm afraid. ;)

Thank you for the info.I sorry this kit was so bad.I will not get one sence for you it was a bad experience,thank ya,Chris

I hadn't heard any negative remarks about the kit so I thought I'd try one. Well....this kit basicly went together pretty good.....until, I tried to put the chassis and body together, the dash doesn't line up to the windsheild, the firewall wont meet the cowl, and I had to rework the rear mounting tabs on the rear bumper, where they had it, it looked like it was hanging off the body. And those PI parts for the hood hinge's, forget it. Every time I'd try to cut and trim one of the ends the others would just fall off, so guess what? The're not being used. On top of all this the hood won't lay flat because the front edge is molded wrong. I'v built the 60 Bonneville and have it displayed but this one will stay in the basement I'm afraid. B)

Sorry to here this about this kit, I have one sitting in the basement, and was hoping to get to it one of these days.

Anyone had any better luck with it? :lol:

Huge difference. Japanese kits practically fall together. Very well engineered. Think Tamiya. Chinese kits are for the most part junk.....they just turn out anything to make a buck.

I stand corrected, I don't think I've done one from tamiya but if I get the chance I won't hold this experience against it. Thanks for settin me straight. ;)

For what it's worth , the " OTHER MAGAZINE " reviewers thouth these kits , ( Bonniville convertable and the Nova were the best thing sice P. F Flyers tennis Shoes !) Whew. ...! I then stupidly went out and threw down nearly fouty five dollars on The Bonnivile Ht as I used to have one . When I opened the box, I wanted to die ! Not only was the chrome bad but the miss -shapen top was a disaster ! I think a couple of years ago a model builder actual corrected the Bonniville , what a project that turned out to be ! he was also going to do modifications to the Nova , but I never saw the completed job . He did say that there were several fit issues . Fit issues, Hey I want to know whos paying offthese " Reviewers over at " The Other Magazine " . No wonder I havent bought a copy of that so called piece in several years ! Ed Shaver

Ed, the guy who reviewed that kit for "The Dark side' should been shot! Did you see the modifications that the guy from europe had to do to make that Bonny kit accurate/right? I don't think there was a SINGLE peice on that kit he DIDN'T modify! He cut the roof off, modded the trunk lid, the front fenders/hood ,and TOO many other things to make it worthwhile! He sent a copy of it here, so i think if you go back far enough, you could find it!

He ended his reveiw by saying, "It CAN be built into a nice kit,BUT, it'll take ALOT of work on the part of the builder to do it!" Yeesh, WHAT an UNDERSTATEMENT!!! I got TWO of them BEFORE I saw his reveiw! I got 2 of the Nova Coupe kits too, but since I'm NOT buildin them stock, I can go head an chop em up if I gotta. ;)

I've heard very, very mixed reviews on Trumpeter's car kits. I was talking to someone that built one of the Novas, and he did say final assembly was a bit touchy- do lots of dry-fitting. But once done, it doesn't look bad. It's almost worth buying one just for the beautiful new-generation Stovebolt.

The Bonneville was....a failure. Too bad, it's an interesting subject choice that deserved a better fate.

I've been told the Monte Carlo isn't too bad to assemble and looks reasonably nice when it's done; some people think the tires look a little small, but if you think about it, on the 1:1s with the standard ER78-14 (P195/75R-14) tires, the tires do look a bit small. On my mother's second Cutlass, primarily because we had a fairly new set from a wrecked Taurus, we put a set of P205/70R-14s on it, and proportionally, it looked much, much better (and handled much better, it's a very easy, cheap upgrade for those of you with A/G-Bodies.)

As to the Chinese doing anything to make a quick buck......well, how can you argue with what has turned into a self-evident truth, and not just with models, but almost every other industry they've entered, and in too many cases, ruined?

Charlie Larkin

I've heard very, very mixed reviews on Trumpeter's car kits. I was talking to someone that built one of the Novas, and he did say final assembly was a bit touchy- do lots of dry-fitting. But once done, it doesn't look bad. It's almost worth buying one just for the beautiful new-generation Stovebolt.

The Bonneville was....a failure. Too bad, it's an interesting subject choice that deserved a better fate.

I've been told the Monte Carlo isn't too bad to assemble and looks reasonably nice when it's done; some people think the tires look a little small, but if you think about it, on the 1:1s with the standard ER78-14 (P195/75R-14) tires, the tires do look a bit small. On my mother's second Cutlass, primarily because we had a fairly new set from a wrecked Taurus, we put a set of P205/70R-14s on it, and proportionally, it looked much, much better (and handled much better, it's a very easy, cheap upgrade for those of you with A/G-Bodies.)

As to the Chinese doing anything to make a quick buck......well, how can you argue with what has turned into a self-evident truth, and not just with models, but almost every other industry they've entered, and in too many cases, ruined?

Charlie Larkin

I have the Monte and there are a few issues with the body. Namely, the wheel openings are too large, so you have to to a bit of surgery to get the floorpan to fit properly, and you have to shorten the interior panels a tad as a result. The engine looks to be about 850 cubes, so a parts box motor should do the trick (mine's got a V-6). Ditch the kit wheels and tires for some better ones- say from the AMT/MPC '80. I'm thinking of buying another just to use the floorpan and chassis under the '80. While its not the easiest kit I've ever done, it certainly isn't the worst. I just might slap some paint on 'er over the holidays and finish it up.

The windshield frame on the convertible is fixable..........

That was one thing I noticed IMMEDIATELY upon opening the box! I can remember this car as a kid as a cousin of mine had one, and was very disappointed by this faux pas!

Here's a quick and dirty fix I did to the frame.......

P8070035-vi.jpg

This is the original frame...........cartoonish looking ain't it?? :lol:

I took a pair of dividers against the coupe kit which I have, and chopped the frame about two scale inches............

P8150002-vi.jpg

P8120001-vi.jpg

For temporary looks I added a piece of styrene square rod to simulate the vent window. When I'll get around to trying to build it is anyone's guess! :)

Now the coupe roofline while very nice is also a bit inaccurate as it's missing the "ridge" that runs along the trailing edge of the C pillar as represented in the 1:1. Also the upper edge of the side window line is a bit too straight IMO. There should be subtle curve starting at the rear quarter window leading very gently down to the C pillar.

The Monte Carlo kit, I recall hearing that the big gripe by those who built it was it sits too high. Be sure to check that out as you build it.

Thanks for the help and info. I know it uses front and rear springs that is in the kit for the suspensions.

I know how to mastermind mine to lower the suspension for a stock or my preference stance.