Model Cars Magazine Forum

#24 Net Zero J Sprague

Mach2

This was the former 2000 #5 Frosted Flakes that the Slixx decals exploded when the black tiger stripe decals hit water. This is a Busch Series ride Jack Sprague was in and the next year the Team moved to Cup. Tamiya ts-30 silver leaf for a base, krylon fusion red pepper that's too dark. This is the first time the spoon test failed, the spoon sprayed with krylon fusion red pepper was brighter and lighter than the shade on the body. Probably due to being sprayed over the silver leaf and the spoon had the white plastic base. The only two issues with this 2002 Slixx sheet was the silver zig-zag decals were a little brittle, but that was a known fact on the metallic decals, and the white door #24 decals dried tight across the gap in the bottom of the door and top of the side valance. I picked the model up this AM to take these pic's and squeezed the RH white #24 decal and broke it. You can see it in the first pic. :oops: :shock: :rant:

finisheda.jpg

finishedb.jpg

finishedc.jpg

finishedd.jpg

finishede.jpg

finishedf.jpg

finishedg.jpg

finishedh.jpg

This is a How To I did on another Forum. It's for a 2006-07 monte carlo, but on the 2000-2002 monte carlo's or a Taurus or Intrepid that has a plastic molded fuel filler just drill it out to the size where the larger diameter aluminum tube will fit into.

Well, here goes for an updated 06 & newer fuel filler.

Part a;

Adhesive & putty

adhesivesputty.jpg

Parts, 1/4" Evergreen plastic tube & 1/8" Evergreen plastic rod. #105 7/32" K&S aluminum tube & #104 3/16" K&S aluminum tube.

parts1.jpg

Cut a short length of 1/4" plastic tube, hold it at the angle you want and with the finger of the left hand holding the body and the piece of 1/4" plastic tube at the angle you like, squeeze a little green bottled Zap-a-Gap into the funnel to initially glue down the plastic tube. It doesn't take very long and you can let go of the body and plastic tube in your left hand.

progress1.jpg

another view

progress2.jpg

Now take some micro balloons, or if you don't have that use baking soda. Squeeze more Zap-a-Gap into the funnel on the outside of the plastic tube and pour in the micro balloons or baking soda, then take a toothpick and stir up this mix inside the funnel, outside of the plastic tube. It'll look like this.

progress3.jpg

another view

progress4.jpg

After you've done this a couple times, to get the Zap-a-Gap/micro balloons/baking soda dried mix above the rear quarter body line, cut the tube with an x-acto knife and start sanding. I like to use these flexible double sided fingernail files from WalMart. One side is rough and the other side is not so rough, and they're flexible and work nicely. I use blue painters tape around the LH corner of the rear spoiler and the LH trunk hinge to protect them during the sanding process.

progress5.jpg

Once you get it close to being flush to the body line

progress6.jpg

mask off around the outside of the area and drill the inside of the 1/4" plastic tube till the larger diameter 7/32" K&S aluminum tube fits inside the 1/4" plastic tube.

progress7.jpg

Leave a short piece of aluminum tube inserted and apply the Bond glazing & spot putty to build the area up.

progress9.jpg

Edited by Mach2

Part b;

Once the putty is dry, start sanding the area flush to the surrounding area

progress10.jpg

till it looks like this. Cut a length of 7/32" aluminum tube short enough so it fits inside the drilled out plastic tube, cut a slightly shorter piece of 3/16" aluminum tube so it is slightly below the larger aluminum tube. Cut a piece of 1/8" plastic rod slightly taller that the short piece of 3/16" aluminum tube and paint or use a black sharpie on the end of the plastic rod.

progress12.jpg

progress11.jpg

Almost done now, here's what it looks like

progress13.jpg

Here's two very helpful tools, a 6 fluted 100 deg countersink to champfer the aluminum tkube inside diameter, the plastic tube and the plastic surrounding the hole where the pieces of aluminum tube and plastic rod assy goes.

tools1.jpg

This detail is not a slam dunk, quick & easy deal. It takes a little time, but if it was easy......................everyone would be doing it. Here's one on the #88 NAVY Nationwide car

paint4.jpg

and the 06 Dollar General Talladega Busch build.

finishedC.jpg

Any questions, comments or disagreements, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I really wanto to know how yo do the red circle on the tires, I live in MEXICO CITY and I am a great fan of Nascar hope you can tell me

Thank and congratulation´s for this excelent built!!!

Glad to help Looker. I did a How To on another modeling forum, here's teh link.

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=38952&highlight=yellow+wheel+lines