Model Cars Magazine Forum

Problems with Duplicolor Auto Spray

I could use some help from those who understand paint far better than I.

I'm using some Duplicolor Auto Spray, it's a Gunmetal Metallic color and I'm spraying parts that are primed with Tamiya primer.

The problem is that when the paint dries it appears to be much more dull than I would have expected, almost having a "chalky" appearance. I haven't attempted to clear coat the parts yet and perhaps that's the missing ingredient. Still I can't help but think something else is going on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Aaron, since the spray you're using is a lacquer, you may be experiencing "blushing" caused by high humidity. I don't even attempt to spray lacquer if it's more than 50% relative humidity. Easy fix though, just resand with 600 or so & respray in low humidity! Not sure if clearing over it will fix it, I have always resprayed the color. Hope this helps.

Edited by jeffs396

Thanks for the response jeffs396. Humidity has challenged me before. I'll try the sanding and respraying then if that doesn't work I'll see if clearing one of the parts helps any.

Living in Oregon around this time of year means humidity is a significant challenge. Are there ways to mitigate this short of spraying inside?

Edited by MkIII

The solid colors can result in a shine, but in my experience, the Duplicolor metallics will always need clear to be shiny. I also have to deal with humidity, so blushing may be another facet to my painting challenges.

It figures, I use Duplicolor "Candy Apple Red" (which is not candy or metallic, but straight opaque dark red) on some interior pieces, and I get a nice glossy shine... So now I gotta brush some flat clear on it to take the shine off...

You could also try heating up the can itself....This generally works for me....By heating the can you can "push" the paint to flash quicker, which gives it far less time for the cool/wet air to "haze" or "blush" the color.....this will also provide much better flow from the can; and will lay the finish down very smooth when wet coated; which means far less effort to polish after clear. You can also hold the freshly sprayed parts up to a heat source 100watt light bulb; and move them back & forth slowly; as you are doing this, you will see the paint "melt" right down flat on the surface; again, resulting in far less work when polishing.....these techniques haved worked well for me over the years......I hope it helps...........matt

Edited by monkeyclaw

I shoot lotsa duplicolor and looking flat is normal for most of the colors we buy at the auto parts store. The old rule of thumb is if the label showed "CC" you have to clear it ..With duplacolors window to re shoot I generally shoot 3 or 4 clear coats in succession to my last color coat so I have a good finish base for polishing

The roof color on this camaro is duplacolor and 6 coats of clear were used

IMG_1152.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

That looks fantastic Mike. The cans I'm using don't indicate "cc", specifically the gunmetal says DSGM344.

I ended up lightly sanding the parts with some 4,000 grit then clearing them. This seems to have done the trick and I've got some nice metallic looking parts. There's a few rough spots, but I put enough clear down that I should be able to smooth those nicely.