Model Cars Magazine Forum

2009 Z10 Camaro

Lyle Willits

In 1969, checking "Z10" on the order form got you a white SS 396 Camaro coupe with white interior and hugger orange "bandaid" stripes. Approximately 200 were built and sold mostly in the midwest where convertibles sold very poorly. Corporate headquarters agreed to make these primarily for midwest Chevy dealers as a showroom draw.

So, what if, Chevy made a 2009 Z10?

DSCN6589-vi.jpg

DSCN6588-vi.jpg

Chrome rocker panel molding was added and the rocker was painted semi-gloss black. "New Millenium" rally wheels were made with Pegasus Helas, Pegasus aluminum sleeves and center caps from an AMT '69 Chevelle kit.

DSCN6584-vi.jpg

A little Chevy Orange was added under the hood to tie it back to it's heritage.

DSCN6590-vi.jpg

I think this thing may sell well against the Mustang. Anyone from Chevy looking?

What a great retro modern car!!!! If Chevy really cared about their customers, they'd put this option into production post haste!!!

Personally, I think GM felt pressure with Chrysler's release of the new Challenger to come up with something of their own. I think Chrysler thought the Challenger through quite a bit more than GM did with this Camaro. It also hasn't helped that Ford's new Mustang is storming the new car market. Chevy should have never dropped the Camaro from it's line and it's a shame this is what we are relegated to in terms of the next generation GM musclecar. Had GM had the time to more thoroughly think through and design this car, it could have easily been the car to make the other manufacturers sit up and take notice. I'm afraid though it's just going to be another futile attempt by the General to try to regain it's former glory.

Regardless, the execution of this model is simply unbelievable! You did a fantastic job on that Camaro and I can't wait to see more from your bench! Ever thought about applying for a position in the design studios of GM? :D:D

So, what if, Chevy made a 2009 Z10?

It would probably look just like that!

Very nice build and I love the choice of Pegasus wheels too.... :D:D

I plan to do it as a curbside. That show engine doesn't do much for me.

Thanks,

So do something different... throw in a '69 Z motor, a carburetor 327 with the correct air cleaner. Very different! :?

AWESOME Lyle!

Unfortunately if GM cared about the people who put money in their pockets the Camaro would be out next year (late '07 early '08) not as an '09 version. They did this same thing with the SSR and look what happened. They got interest really high and then waited and waited and the truck went flat, not even out of the gate. Of course price and impracticality didn't help.

I'm sure the Camaro will do fine because it is a Camaro, but jeez, how long do we have to wait!

Again Lyle, You nailed it just right.

Chris (apologizing for the rant)

AWESOME Lyle!

Unfortunately if GM cared about the people who put money in their pockets the Camaro would be out next year (late '07 early '08) not as an '09 version.

I think the reality of things is it does take time to develop and engineer a new car on a new platform...and all the logics of getting a plant set up to build it, suppliers on-line to build components, etc..

I wouldn't want GM rushing it and getting something poorly done to market..

I'm not sure but I think there are also some issues about the negotiations made with the workers about not using the Camaro name in x number of years and/or the plant to be used to build the car. Hopefully, the car will be unveiled Jan '08 as a '09 :wink:

I'm not sure but I think there are also some issues about the negotiations made with the workers about not using the Camaro name in x number of years and/or the plant to be used to build the car. Hopefully, the car will be unveiled Jan '08 as a '09 :wink:

Yeah, there was some contractual issue with the previous plant in St. Therese, Quebec...I've read the new car will most likely be built at Oshawa, Ontario with the new '09 RWD Impala (both the Camaro and Impala will be built on variations of the new Holden 'Zeta' platform that the new '07 Holden Commodore and Caprice use).

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go retro, Lyle!

I sure like the addition of the stripes wheels and SS badges. I was tempted to do likewise with one of the two kits that I built - however, I built the first one to look like the car unveiled at the auto shows, and, I am nearly finished converting the second kit to represent my interpretation of a concept car for the 2009 Monte Carlo, rumoured to be built on the Camaro platform.

Happy New Year, Lyle!

I believe that the 2009 model year for the Camaro to re-appear is due to the Canada-U.S. Auto-pact and the labour relations. (These issues are common to the foreign car manufacturers in the U.S., as well.)

The Auto-pact requires G.M. to produce a "new" model in a Canadian plant (since they closed the F-body plant in Quebec in 2002). Also, due to the closure of that plant, G.M. was not able to open another plant, in Canada, for five years - a labour agreement issue regarding workers from the Quebec plant (or, likewise, in any other plant, if they were to close any plant). Therefore, January 1, 2008 marks the date after which G.M. is able to produce a car, similar to the F-body (RWD Camaro/Firebird) in a plant in Canada.

In short, the delay in building a new Camaro (or Firebird) is a result of very complicated labour and auto-pact issues.

Another issue requires G.M., since they are selling cars in Canada, to build cars in Canada. The same principle applies to foreign cars sold in the U.S. - eg. Toyota must build cars in the U.S. if they intend to sell them in the U.S.

An even more complicated situation involves the fact that G.M. can't sell the Pontiac GTO in Canada! We won't go there!!!

Safice it to say that we will just have to be patient, and wait for the Camaro's arrival sometime in 2008 - I would expect the Camaro in Chevy showrooms in the spring of 2008 (as a 2009 model), likely in May.