Model Cars Magazine Forum

'34 Ford semi

fordsixty

since the site is new and improved, thought i would post something new.

this coming March will be the Lonestar Showdown. i promised myself to have three new models built for it. i have two that are real close to being done; however, i still needed one more. thanks to treehugger's posting of the classic auto transporters, i knew i needed to build one for my time attack '31. i already had the Lindberg '34 cab so, i decided that would be the start of my rig.

i wanted a hot rod look and feel with the functionality of a real semi. z'd the frame to get the cab down low and stretched it to get that rod look. for power, i decided i would need something with serious grunt. i am converting a 351W into a turbo'd powerstroke diesel. that should haul the load. :unsure: so far, everything except the axles, wheels, leaf springs, cab, block and heads, i have made from evergreen's wonderful assortment of styrene.

DSC01088.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01089.jpg

still have not figured out a grill yet. leaning towards the front part of the '50 f-1 with custom lower. not quite sure, let me know what you think.

DSC01091.jpg

DSC01094.jpg

think the fifth wheel turned out pretty cool.

the color will be tamiya green zinc chromate with black roof and red pin stripe. my trusty aztec airbrush went south so i ordered a new grex vt today. hope to have it next week. then i can finish painting the chassis.

let me know what you think.

Edited by fordsixty

thanks guys for the kind words. :angry: i will keep you guys posted.

yeah cb, i can't wait to see the hauler either. i want to build a rounded front short box modified with an open slant back drive up ramp. the front part of the trailer will be a small tool/work room. i will use corregated plastic for the sides. i will try to maintain that 30s look.

again thanks.

well, i was able to get the basic Navistar done today.

DSC01096.jpg

DSC01097.jpg

not a 100% accurate representation, i had to take a few liberties, but it looks close enough. what do you guys think?

i still need to build the turbo and manifolds, fuel pump, oil pump, pulleys and wiring harness. i decided to use a remanufactured motor, so i painted the whole thing semi gloss black with some markings.

DSC01102.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

boy, digital close-ups really emphasize the imperfections. :lol:

let me know what you think.

WOW guys, cool words of encouragement! :D

jon - the bolt heads are from scale motorsports. p/n 8117; nuts, bolts, washers,dzus and phillipshead fasteners. awesome stuff. no frets. indivdually pop each one from the rubber sheet. super glue in place. could not get any easier.

i just got the exhaust housing of the turbo done. my camera battery just died so i cannot post a picture. think i should do a how-to thread for the turbo.

again, vielen dank.

chris - i will not be running dual stacks; however, i think i will run a single 6 inch. i also want to run the air filter canister on the driver side, front cowl. those should give it a good semi look.

joe - i can hardly wait for my new airbrush. i went ahead and got the complete grex kit, compressor and everything. looking forward to the pistol grip.

well the battery is charged so here are pics of the turbo.

DSC01103.jpg

i need to powder coat it, to give it that rough cast look, then build the impeller housing.

DSC01104.jpg

the housing starts with a slowly stretched piece of sprue, like in the background.

DSC01105.jpg

see, the motor looks a lot better at this distance/scale.

[DSC01106.jpg

the fifth wheel is ready, just need to add grease.

DSC01107.jpg

ahhhhh. really coming together.

man, i love this forum; it is like an interactive magazine!

thanks for the love guys.

looks like you could squeeze another engine in there

:blink::lol::lol:

yeah, it is a little long: a result of my imagineering. but if you look at the picture below, you can see that once the pulleys/accessories, fan, radiator and grill shell are in place, it should leave the shock mount crossmember just in front of the grill shell.

DSC01108.jpg

my new grex airbrush has shipped but will not be here until monday. :P

then i will get the frame in one color.

wishing every modeller a very happy and prosperous new year! ;)