Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shopping online for kits

Just wondering where some of you guys shop for kits online.

I went to my local Hobby Lobby and Hobby Town, seems like anytime I go there, they have less and less. I really would rather be able to pick up, touch, and just get a feel for what I am buying. However, since I don't really see what I like at both dealers, I'm going to try this route.

So any sites that you recommend, had good service with, good choices, things like that.

Thanks guys

I prefer Hobbylinc.com for my online kit shopping. They are based in the Atlanta, Georgia area and usually have the lowest prices. I have ordered from them at least 50 times and have never had a problem.

Another good one is Tower Hobbies.com but their prices are usually higher. However,they are a Revell preferred partner and get new Revell kits earlier than most others.

Hope this helps, oldscool

For Revell and Lindberg-- Evers Toy Store (www.everstoystore.com)...bought dozens of kits from them for over a decade. Great customer service.

For AMT (Round2, Stevens,recent OOP) and Revell, Model Express (www.modelexpress.net).

For import, Hobby Link Japan (www.hlj.com). Been buying from them since about 2000.

These are 3 I use the most, there are others like Hobbylinc that I've used occasionally.

And of course, eBay for old kits, and occasionally newer kits I can't find elsewhere.

Just wondering where some of you guys shop for kits online.

I went to my local Hobby Lobby and Hobby Town, seems like anytime I go there, they have less and less. I really would rather be able to pick up, touch, and just get a feel for what I am buying. However, since I don't really see what I like at both dealers, I'm going to try this route.

So any sites that you recommend, had good service with, good choices, things like that.

Thanks guys

As others have already said, I like modelexpress and hobbylinkjapan

Hi guys/gals.........i wish i didnt have to shop on-line,for me the extra cost of the shipping may keep me from being able to buy on-line at times. to someone with a very low budget this is a factor,and at times it would be nice to buy locally....unfortunately in my case i have to. there just isnt any place to buy here.

I really would rather be able to pick up, touch, and just get a feel for what I am buying.

You can't open the box and pull the parts out at the hobby shop... all you can do is look at the box. So there's no real way to "get a feel" for what you're buying when you buy in person. About all you can do is shake the box and see if you like the sound! :lol: .

When you buy online, you see a photo of the box cover, pretty much that's all you get at the LHS too.

Been doin' eBay for years, and love it cool.gif . I know, some of you guy's hate 'um angry.gif .

Always a huge selection, and at times you can get super deals, if you watch closely for something your wanting.

Almost always cheaper prices, even with shipping, for the new kits being released, if you just wait a while, and then brows what's being offered.

Probably bought a couple hundred kit's on eBay, and only a few bad experiences.

Still worth it for all the old cool stuff out there biggrin.gif .

I just bought a few kits online for the first time through Modelexpress. All I can say is they are great. Very fast shipping, everything got here in great shape and they were very nice when answering my questions.

Edited by JPR

Since nobody else has mentioned them; I've had good experience with MegaHobby.com. They shipped what they had promptly. When they couldn't ship what I'd back-ordered, they refunded my money. I also thought their shipping charges were pretty reasonable.

Cheers,

Dave Ambrose

I have looked on their site. I have found everything I wanted all in the one site, I think I'm gona try them. As for S&H, they seem a lot lower than anyone else I found.