Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 BUICK V8 DRAG BIKE

John Teresi

HELLO......THIS IS A REPLICA OF MY FATHERS 1966 BUICK V8 DRAG BIKE THAT RAN ON GAS.........IT WAS CALLED THE "ITALIANO".......WHEN I WAS A KID I WOULD GO TO LIONS DRAG STRIP WITH HIM TO RACE THIS BIKE.....MY FATHER AND UNKLE WOULD TAKE TURNS RACING THIS BIKE......I MADE 3 OF THESE ONE FOR MY FATHER ONE FOR MY UNKLE AND ONE FOR ME......98% OF THIS BIKE IS SCRATCH BUILT USING REFERENCE PICTURE FROM MY DAD.THANK`S FOR LOOKING

DSCF5230.jpg

DSCF5227.jpg

DSCF5225.jpg

DSCF5216.jpg

DSCF5220.jpg

DON`T KNOW?.....I REALLY DON`T KNOW WHO E.J. POTTER IS?......NO DISRESPECT.

none taken... i'm an old fart!! way back, at Edgewater Drag Strip, i saw him run that thing, 1st bike with a V8 that i'd ever seen!! it was wild, he'd stage it on the rear stand, tach up the motor and rollll off the stand to spin the tire so it wouldn't bog out!! imagine that!!

DON`T KNOW?.....I REALLY DON`T KNOW WHO E.J. POTTER IS?......NO DISRESPECT.

No, E.J. was known for running Chevy engines on his bikes. I grew up in the same town as he did- the stories you hear are legendary! Yeah- he did a rocket bike, and some Allison V-12 machines, but I don't recall a Buick Bike from the house of E.J.

Great build!

Very cool John!!! As a big bike fan, I love it!!! Here is a few pics of E.J. Potters bike, he ran an injected small block Chevy with direct drive, they would let him wind it up, and push it off the stand, thus the moniker "The Michigan Madman"

potterJan.jpg

ejpotter1.jpg

Michigan-Madman.jpg

b19Wildman_EJ_Potter_From_Rick_rZep.jpg

Edited by RatRod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice build indeed! Being born and spending 11 years of my life in Michigan, I knew who E.J Potter was (my dad was and still is a drag racer) and yes, some of the stories of his antics are legendary here in the mid-west. Your dad and uncle seem to be in the same vein as he was........crazy!!