Model Cars Magazine Forum

73-74 dodge Dart Sport grill

Has anyone ever done a resin grill to convert the 75 Dart/Duster kit to a 73-74 dodge Dart Sport? Keith Mark's just came out with proper decals to do a 73-74 Dodge Dart Sport but the grill is different on the 75-76's. Thanks Oh here is a link to the a picture of a 74 Grill http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3379564517_a473e36489.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/34107011%40N08/3379564517/&usg=__XqFw2Uap2MYmOy6r1Bi_yqXjUp0=&h=333&w=500&sz=123&hl=en&start=99&um=1&tbnid=znuIg7AeFXDihM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1974%2Bdodge%2BDart%2BSport%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D84%26um%3D1 Thanks

Someone on the one of the forums showed one they had made a couple years ago, don't know if they ever casted it. It would be a nice part to have, to fill the gap between the '72 Demon (I have one of those in resin) and the '75-76 kits.

It would be a good addition as the 75 Darts are pretty plentiful after the rerelease.

I would love to see it done also,I have a bunch of 75-76 Dart Sports just begging to be made 73-74 models,I have an idea guys,lets start up a petition,and BEG one of our talented resin casters out here to ,A make the grill,or B,make it in photo etch,I would buy 10 of them alone,myself,I started on a 73 got the rear of the car almost done,cut out the 75-76 grill and all I need is the right grill texture to put in there,Just an idea,If I can get enough replys I may be able to convince someone to do this project!Steve

I would love to see it done also,I have a bunch of 75-76 Dart Sports just begging to be made 73-74 models,I have an idea guys,lets start up a petition,and BEG one of our talented resin casters out here to ,A make the grill,or B,make it in photo etch,I would buy 10 of them alone,myself,I started on a 73 got the rear of the car almost done,cut out the 75-76 grill and all I need is the right grill texture to put in there,Just an idea,If I can get enough replys I may be able to convince someone to do this project!Steve

Not all resin casters are master makers. I'm sure any number of casters would be more than happy to put that grille in rubber if someone can master it. I've seen the one that someone on another forum made but I don't think he is interested in sharing his work with the rest of the community. He also mastered flares, wheels, etc for a Volare Super Coupe!!!

Someone step up and do a '73-74 Dart Sport conversion...front and rear.

here's my dart collection,all mint and unbuiltAs you can tell I would love to see a 73-74 style grill!

I seen the one you talking about Marc,if it is the same one that was Yellow and Black,it wasn't even converted to look like a 73-74,just painted up like one,doe's anyone have the correct grill texture to make it?I'll do it,and send it to my friend,to cast!

This is my oppinion on the whole thing,when they came out with the 71 duster back when it was new,and ran them till 75'they should have done the same with the demon/dart sports also,and made the 76 duster also,even though to make one of them all you have to do is cover up 1975 on the plates,but the 72 demon,and the 73-74 darts were just a popular as the duster in the 70's,and the only 2 years we had both dodge and plymouths was 71,and 75,I don't understand model companys sometimes,how many 57 belairs and 69 camaros do we need,they have been molded to extreems now,time for some new exciting subjects!Just my oppinion guys thats all!Steve K

BTW I am doing a Hang Ten (75) right now with Keith Mark's decals. I will post pictures as I get closer to finishing it. Here is a link to his 73-74 Dart decals that are correct, I think he just released them http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/dodge/dart/7374-dart-sport-sid/

by the way,the best kit to make this one out of would be the MPC Smokey the convoy chaser,as they are molded in Whitejust for ease of painting

I'll have to see if I can find a couple junk 69 grills to cut up and see what I can come up with!I have one started using some resin 69 MPC grills ,I'll post a pic of the front and rear of the car!Here is 2 pics of what I have done so far,the grill still needs the markerlights and 2 strips added to the center,let me know what you guys think,and I made the rear of the car to attatch the 4 bezels on the body and bare metal them,and glue in the taillights in from behind,ok heres the pics

Edited by spkgibson

It looks good so far are you looking at it as a master for somebody to cast in resin?

If I can get it right,I will send it out,I'm another obsessive person,and if it don't look right,I'll start all over,I feel close to correct is not good enough,Correct only!as I don't want to have a reputation of making ,well crude masters,I'll keep at it!and see how it comes out!

Here is 2 more pics,it has the correct grill texture ,sorry for the fuzzyness of the pic,it's from my cell phone!

I can't make out any detail from that pic other than the center horizontal divider, but I can't tell if it's raised or recessed.

This is not an easy grille to scratchbuild. You'll have to toss the headlight bezels, use the perimeter of the grille you've got, and create the rest using styrene strips. Not to be pessimistic, but I wish you luck.

74dartsport.jpg

well the headlight bezels have the same lines in them,just the rest AFTER the headlights need to be worked out,what am having the problem with,is the grill pattern itself,if ANYONE has the correct pattern in that last post,in a custom grill ,PLEASE send them to me,if you guys want a 73-74 Dart,as you all can tell I have the back almost done!if I had the parts to work out the grill I could have it done,and sent to my resin caster in a week!I looked through all my kits I have ,and my parts box,and have nothing,and the Revell 69 grill WILL NOT work,I already tryed it,so maybe some useless custom grills may work,only if they have the right pattern!,by the way,I made a 72 Demon grill out of all things,a custom MPC 67 Toronado grill and scratch built makerlights! and the Original 71 bumper,you will all see it SOON enough!

well the headlight bezels have the same lines in them,just the rest AFTER the headlights need to be worked out,what am having the problem with,is the grill pattern itself,if ANYONE has the correct pattern in that last post,in a custom grill ,PLEASE send them to me,if you guys want a 73-74 Dart,as you all can tell I have the back almost done!if I had the parts to work out the grill I could have it done,and sent to my resin caster in a week!I looked through all my kits I have ,and my parts box,and have nothing,and the Revell 69 grill WILL NOT work,I already tryed it,so maybe some useless custom grills may work,only if they have the right pattern!,by the way,I made a 72 Demon grill out of all things,a custom MPC 67 Toronado grill and scratch built makerlights! and the Original 71 bumper,you will all see it SOON enough!

I honestly can't see anyone scratchbuilding the grille as it's incredibly detailed, with lots of both vertical and horizontal bars. Add in the horizontal bars which wrap around the parking/signal lights and it would have to have perfect spacing to look correct.

I think a photetched grille overlay would be the way go, using the re-issued MPC Smokey Chaser kit's grille as the base, with modifications. The molded in headlights would have to go and you'd need to hog out the grille center, then put the PE grille center in place, add parking/signal lamps back in from the backside, and add more realistic clear headlamp lenses.

And I thought a '70 Challenger shaker hood was a PITA to create. :lol:

Photo etch would ne the way to go,as far as were the headlights go,I will argue the point,they are the same for all years,73-76,just the main grill is different!all you need is the right pattern of the main grill,and fit it to shape in place of the 75-76 grill!the grill texture is the same as the 69 dart,just pointed in th middle and flat on both sides!It can be done!

Edited by spkgibson

Photo etch would ne the way to go,as far as were the headlights go,I will argue the point,they are the same for all years,73-76,just the main grill is different!all you need is the right pattern of the main grill,and fit it to shape in place of the 75-76 grill!the grill texture is the same as the 69 dart,just pointed in th middle and flat on both sides!It can be done!

The angle of the headlight surrounds/buckets on a '69 Dart and '73+ Dart Sport are different. The Dart Sport headlights are square to the h/l buckets, while on a '69 Dart, the h/l buckets are canted in relation to the headlamps.

The grille detail/texture is different, too. Different number of horizontal bars, different detailing around the signal/parking lamps, etc.

Here's a huge detial pic of a '69 grille to compare to the '73 Dart Sport

s grille above:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/69DodgeDartUptownFrontright.jpg[/img

I already knew that!I know what i'm talking about,if you want,Lets see you make it!I have been studing the brochere I have and every pic I can get my hands on to make it correct!but forget it,I'm not doing it know!let someone else do it,i'm tired of getting nitpicked on here!,By the way I have been building and making conversions for 31 years!and making conversions for over 15!Missing Links 70 Montego was made by ME,as a few more future releases coming out!Go head make the grill yourself,and lets see how well you do! :lol:

Edited by spkgibson