Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Garlit`s "Explosion"

John Teresi

hello again.......i built this last year......spectators really liked it.......i hope you all enjoy this?.......this is 1/16 scale replica of the famous "Big Daddy" Don Garlit`s clutch explosion back in the 60`s.......it is a full diorama display........ donor is a revell don garlits rear engine dragster.......i totally modified everything to make it look like the explosion .........the body tins are scratch built from aluminum sheets........i used white rub on letters for the lettering.......h.o.k. black......wired and plumbed using the only black and white photo of this explosion.....thank`s for looking .

DSCF5303.jpg

DSCF5309.jpg

DSCF5295-1.jpg

DSCF5296-1.jpg

DSCF5299-1.jpg

Edited by JOHN TERESI

• 2 years later...

Thanks for posting this John I remember seeing it at the Catus Classis show before we actually met. Guys this one you have to see in person to really get the full affect because its got a red light on the inside and generates smoke. This is one of my fav builds from you .

John... love this build hope you are bringing.it to the NNLs this weekend. I am looking forward to meeting you since I will be at the show myself. i was able to get the time off and stoked about this show.

Chris.......sorry,I have brought this build to this show before......I really don`t like to bring the same models to any previous shows.......but,I will bring it to the Arizona show......I am looking forward to meeting you as well....... and l am glad to see your bringing your "Snake" Army car it is an AWESOME build............thanks,John

Edited by John Teresi

Guest Dr. Odyssey

That is more than pretty cool! How did you make the smoke? It looks like it is in some pictures but not all. Does it smoke like a model train or is it a photoshop trick. Shake & Bake baby!

That is more than pretty cool! How did you make the smoke? It looks like it is in some pictures but not all. Does it smoke like a model train or is it a photoshop trick. Shake & Bake baby!

Dr. David........I have a model train smoke stack hooked up to a battery.......thanks,John

Chris.......sorry,I have brought this build to this show before......I really don`t like to bring the same models to any previous shows.......but,I will bring it to the Arizona show......I am looking forward to meeting you as well....... and l am glad to see your bringing your "Snake" Army car it is an AWESOME build............thanks,John

John... No worries man I totally understand. I can't wait to see your builds in person. I am super excited I get to make it up. I haven't been to the NNL west in years. I wasn't going to leave home with out the "Snake" Army car. Hopefully I will be able to get some more build time in and work settles down a bit. See you this weekend.

• 1 month later...

before the insurance folks got all-over it, there were a few drag strips that had the fans literally feet from the action, Lions was one of those places.....when a clutch lets go, it's not only scary for the person with their legs saddling either side of the clutch can....but then those folks also wheelbarrowed their nuts to the line they were so big...

heck, I still remember being lightly showered with bits of magnesium at Pomona at a thousand foot before blower bags....the straps weren't enough to keep the smaller pieces contained.....

I think most of us have seen and admired the photos of your build....something unique and well done SHOULD get the attention! I forgot where I first saw it...I think it was on an episode of Gearz....one of his model related shows or his Hot Wheels show....anyway, superb build and unique!

it actually went over quite well performance-wise....with Bruce larson and then Don hisself driving, the performance levels were great right out of the gate....it just came at a time when NHRA wanted to slow the cars down, and Don's design made going fast more stable....which went against what NHRA wanted...sigh....now it's not even a quarter mile anymore (biggest mistake they ever made next to the fuel ban and letting most drag strips in California get bulldozed)....throws all records into the asterisk territory with the distance change, and it's just not drag racing unless it is 1320 feet....out of all the options, they chose to shorten it....smaller tires? nope...shorten the track. I know what they were thinking was to kill two birds with one stone....slow the cars down, and automatically make the shutdown areas longer....which at the speeds being attained, did make it an issue at more than a few tracks....anyway....Don's mono-wing was working just dandy, but the NHRA nixed it....that man is used to the NHRA being flat-out crazy and not making sense....I personally have had an issue with a non-profit organization making that much money and not making the sport better....sure, they made it bigger, but not better....still kills me that they let so many classic tracks get bulldozed....