Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Garlit`s "Explosion"

John Teresi

Hello all......i built this last year......so i am not qualified to enter......but i wanted to share this because......i also was a big fan of Lions drag strip.......i used a revell don garlits 1/16 rear engine kit as a donor....using the original black and white photo for reference.......a lot of tweaking and bending.......added don in the driver seat ......scratch built body tins.....white rub on letters......h.o.k. black paint........lot of really great builds for this contest......thank`s for letting me share,john

DSCF5303.jpg

DSCF5309.jpg

DSCF5295-1.jpg

DSCF5296-1.jpg

DSCF5299-1.jpg

hmmm, i see you went to the museum, i was there a couple years ago...did ya see the models back in the motor shop?? the big diorama came all the way to Cincy to our[Cincinnati Auto Replicas] Cincy Challenge contest/swap, and he took a best detail award i believe...

hmmm, i see you went to the museum, i was there a couple years ago...did ya see the models back in the motor shop?? the big diorama came all the way to Cincy to our[Cincinnati Auto Replicas] Cincy Challenge contest/swap, and he took a best detail award i believe...

No, i have never been to the museum .........are you telling me that some one built a diorama like the one i did?........what scale was it?.......i had no idea that someone else made the same thing i did?......do you have a picture of it?

No, Garlits has the real car at his Museum in Ocala displayed in the exploded position, along with the backwall painted like the stands and a case with some of the exploded parts sitting in it. I HIGHLY recommend (ok, almost forcibly hand-walk you there) that you visit the museum when you are in Florida. You WILL NOT be disappointed (i used to live in Orlando and dad and I would go to the museum when he held the 'Mopars with Big Daddy' shows.

Edited by whale392

No, i have never been to the museum .........are you telling me that some one built a diorama like the one i did?........what scale was it?.......i had no idea that someone else made the same thing i did?......do you have a picture of it?

dayum, i didn't realize that was a dio!!!! kudos....

duh...didn't read the print....doh!!

like whale said, the display at the museum it VERRRRY close to your dio!!!

Edited by weasel

No, Garlits has the real car at his Museum in Ocala displayed in the exploded position, along with the backwall painted like the stands and a case with some of the exploded parts sitting in it. I HIGHLY recommend (ok, almost forcibly hand-walk you there) that you visit the museum when you are in Florida. You WILL NOT be disappointed (i used to live in Orlando and dad and I would go to the museum when he held the 'Mopars with Big Daddy' shows.

+1000 on seeing the museum... did YOU see the models and the dio in the engine room??

AND depending on when you're there, Big hisself can be seen floating around...

Edited by weasel

Why 5 pretty much identical photos??? :)

Well Harry......?????????????.........I guess I was just showing off ?????????..........but my real intention was to show maybe how it might have looked in sequins?........I hope I didn`t bore you?..........maybe I`ll just post one picture of my stuff from now on?.........can`t please everyone?

Well Harry......?????????????.........I guess I was just showing off ?????????..........but my real intention was to show maybe how it might have looked in sequins?........I hope I didn`t bore you?..........maybe I`ll just post one picture of my stuff from now on?.........can`t please everyone?

You mean in sequence? But they're all the same photo... there's no sequence to them.

I was just wondering why 5 identical photos. You have to admit, it's a pretty logical question.

John you could post 20 of the same photo and I'd still see a thousand outstanding Details!!in any of your builds

i found my pics of the museum....

Big rebuilt this car and i beilive the top of the cage is dented from hitting the injector hat in the wreck...

scan0080.jpg

scan0081.jpg

this was pretty cool...

scan0092.jpg

here's that dio i was talking about...

scan0102.jpg

our plaque...

scan0101.jpg

i was trying to get detail shots of the different fuel system set-ups for later projects, so, it's pretty motor heavy but still a lot of nice cars/pics....

here's a linky to the rest...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/weasel221/Garlits%20Museum/?start=0

Edited by weasel

i found my pics of the museum....

Big rebuilt this car and i beilive the top of the cage is dented from hitting the injector hat in the wreck...

scan0080.jpg

scan0081.jpg

this was pretty cool...

scan0092.jpg

here's that dio i was talking about...

scan0102.jpg

Weasel.....thank`s for the pic`s......the museum is in my bucket list to do......thank`s for the info

our plaque...

scan0101.jpg

i was trying to get detail shots of the different fuel system set-ups for later projects, so, it's pretty motor heavy but still a lot of nice cars/pics....

here's a linky to the rest...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/weasel221/Garlits%20Museum/?start=0

One of the things Big did to make it work was slowing down the steering. For some reason the rear engined car was too twitchy with the same steering ratio as the other cars installed. He also adjusted the clutch to come in a little slower.This info comes right from the old Hot Rod magazine article that was done not long after his success with the car became well known.

oldscool

One of the things Big did to make it work was slowing down the steering. For some reason the rear engined car was too twitchy with the same steering ratio as the other cars installed. He also adjusted the clutch to come in a little slower.This info comes right from the old Hot Rod magazine article that was done not long after his success with the car became well known.

oldscool

i knew the frontend had something to do with it!! lol

Weasel, not only have I seen the models and been through the museum more times than I can count (I grew up in Orlando), but I can remember when the Museum was just ONE building and his shop/garage. I have sat in his 'Sidewinder' rail when I was a little kid, and have sat down to dinner with Don, Pat, and my dad at the car show held every year at Gainesville (in conjunction with the GatorNationals). I have a set of his old headers hanging on my wall, and have had many conversations with him. If anyone is ever in the area of Ocala and calls themselves a drag race fan, I would HIGHLY recommend going to the museum and checking it out. And you are correct, you never know when 'Big' himself will be floating around the museum or out on the grounds.

weasel, no I haven't. The closest I get is to Sharonville to GE Customer Training building (I work on CRJ200s and CRJ700s, which have the GE CF-34 series engines installed), and a few other local spots (Jungle Jims). I usually go to Xenia to Kil-kare, and have been meaning to get down to Tri-State and Riverside for some drag action.

My models aren't good enough to enter in shows, and my work schedule conflicts with show dates (I work weekend nights).

This is one of my favorite builds of John's. At the Lower Left Coast NNL, he had pictures displayed in front of the model. I was amazed how much the model represented the pictures, not realizing for a few minutes that the pictures were of the model that was right in front of me and not the actual crash. Felt kinda dumb for a minute... :blink:B)