Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep Cherokee Chief

Jeepster25

This is my next project, a full size Jeep Cherokee Chief two door. I got the Wagoneer body from RMR and I'm converting it to the two door Cherokee version. I ordered the kit with the 1960's rhino grill which is cool looking (I will be replacing the cast-in headlights with Jeep CJ lights). Also I will be adding the fender flares from the Jeep Honcho donor body. My plan is for the Jeep to look like the red one below. I have already found a website with a picture of the Cherokee Chief stripes so I will be able to make decals of the stripes.

DSCN2553.jpg

DSCN2554.jpg

DSCN2557.jpg

CherokeeChief2.jpg

Edited by Jeepster25

This is an update on my progress for the Jeep Cherokee Chief. I have painted the engine and chasis. I tried to get the light blue correct like the 1970's AMC engines. I have added the fender flares from the Honcho, I still have some putty to add to fill small gaps between the flares and body. I've filled in the rear door seams and sanded off the door handles. I have temporarily fitted the side rear window areas and tried to figure out the correct window size before I cut. I don't like the wheels from the donor kit so I might go with the Wagoneer wheels shown in the last picture or I might try Jeep CJ wheels.

DSCN2560.jpg

DSCN2561.jpg

DSCN2565.jpg

DSCN2568.jpg

Nice to see one of these being built, the Cherokee / Wagoneer is a neat old truck. I assume the chassis is from the Revell Honcho? Looks like you have things off to a good start.

I hadn't noticed RMR offered the older style grill, I've been wanting to build the Honcho as an old military Kaiser Jeep M715 and that grill is a lot closer to that than the one in the kit.

Nice to see one of these being built, the Cherokee / Wagoneer is a neat old truck. I assume the chassis is from the Revell Honcho? Looks like you have things off to a good start.

I hadn't noticed RMR offered the older style grill, I've been wanting to build the Honcho as an old military Kaiser Jeep M715 and that grill is a lot closer to that than the one in the kit.

Yes it's on the Revell Jeep Honcho (Pink Poison version). RMR doesn't have a picture of it on the website but when I asked him about it he sent me this picture below. It's pretty close to the 60's front end although the real grill has 12 slots.

005.jpg

Edited by Jeepster25

Nice project Jeepster! I would definitely go with the Wagoneer wheels. Would that grille fit in the pickup from Revell? It looks like it would. What is RMR's website?

Thanks! I think the grill would fit the Revell Jeep Honcho, I've already glued my grill in so I can't test it on the Honcho. RMR's website is www.freewebs.com/rmrresin/.

• 1 month later...

Here is a quick update on my progress on the Jeep Cherokee Chief. I had the car primered and painted but when I did the final coat it was windy and some debris got into the paint. I waited a day and lightly sanded the debris out but when I resprayed the paint it aligatored so I decided to strip the paint. Everything I tried to remove the paint wouldn't work so I decided to use some paint stripper which got the paint off but also melted the styrene fender flares and the side window panels :) . Luckily the body was resin and didn't melt. I had another donor body for the fender flares and remade the window panels and I'm into primer again. I have some more sanding to do before I try the finish paint again. I learned an important lesson of not to use paint stripper with styrene, next time I'll be smarter :o .

DSCN2602.jpg

DSCN2605.jpg

DSCN2604.jpg