Model Cars Magazine Forum

Willys Gasser

noname

I need to have at least a couple builds on the go this time of year as it is just to cold to go out in the shed and paint some days.

I was inspired for this build by a Willys in the last Rod and Kulture. I thought a 426 Max Wedge was a great engine ( unusual that is ) for a Willys. So here is the plan. A guy buys a weathered Willys in the late sixties that was raced in the earlier sixties and sat around for a few years. You know, passed around maybe like cars do. Hence the weathering (mild ) that will take place. Car probably had a Hemi or an Olds motor in it's early years. So this guy gets a hold of an old Super Stock motor that was left by the way side for a Hemi. Imagine how many times that probably happened in the real world.

Here is the Willys. Ever seen one before? :)

IMG_4817.jpg

Here is the motor that comes in the AMT Merc. Had to redo the manifold, thin the fan belt and add a little detail to the front of the heads.

IMG_4814.jpg

And the wheels. Those rear rims won't be staying chrome. And I'll be turning the four link into ladder bars.

IMG_4818.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cool idea! Sounds like the way we came up with our 1:1 150" dragster........car was built in 1964, lengthened to 150" in 1965, sold to a local guy who put a blown Olds and a 'T' body on it, then he stripped it and sold it to dad in 1975 as a roller. Dad drops a 426 Hemi into it and goes racing. Blows Hemi up and drops a 440+6 into it until it dies. We still have the car.

I got the impression that 4 links weren't really used ubtil the 70's. I'm making new shocks while I'm at it. This is the Street Rod version and although I want the tires up in the wheel wells a tad to make use of the tubbs, I don't want it to be quite so low. I'll have to make some springs for it too. As well as interior,.. yada yada yada. More scratchbuilding. B)

After looking at some pics of the Ramchargers "High and Mighty", I see my freind was right. They did use what was probably the first 4 link. So in order save me some time scratchbuilding, I decided to leave the kit 4 link with a few made up brackets to keep it looking not so new. The guys you raced this Gasser were smart and ahead of their time. :)

IMG_4825.jpg

Also turned the kit inner door panels to "stripped" mode.

IMG_4819.jpg

Well I decided to use the same rims as the rear. I've got my straight axle made. I found a drop axle that I needed to keep the front end down. In the later 60's the NHRA didn't allow nose high stances in Gasser class. And I mated the spindles from the Street Rod version to the axle. Next I'm going to make a transverse spring which is rarely if ever seen on a Willys. The other little parts are going to be used to make the rims join on to the spindles. Have different sized syrene and aluminum is a great thing!

IMG_4831.jpg

Tranny tunnel made as well. Roll bar next.

IMG_4830.jpg

Thanks guys.

Weasel, I'm too cheap to go buy paint. I'll use what I already have. I'm thinking beige. That will show weathering nicely. Deciding wether to paint it all beige or do the front end flat black. Hmmm,... maybe if I keep it all beige it will look more older.

Dave, Lets pretend those aren't Mustang II spindles okay. This build is suppose to be circa 1969. :) The axle could be Revell 32 because I made one for my sedan. I had to cut the ends off and put some other little pieces on there. Drop axles would be hard to scratchbuild. Getting the bends just right... :)

Finally got the front suspension together. I'll add some shocks once it's painted. Ran into a couple snags with the engine bumping into the bar that the spring attaches to. Had to add a piece onto the engine mounts to raise it up for clearance. Also am still up in the air about front tires. May end up using the smaller diameter tires from the Mazmanian kit to keep the front end from being too high.

IMG_4853.jpg

hmmm, plastocote red primer, beige topcoat, sanded a little to show the faded paint to red primer??? or, whatever ya got, use a couple colors under the beige and then sand for a multi color weathered effect...

maybe 'remove' a couple molding pieces?? a hood side, and a door/quarter molding...

Edited by weasel

Thanks guys.

Weasel, thats just about the size of it. Not going to weather it too bad though. Hopefully get some primer on today.

Smart Resins, I have a Big John and Stone,Woods and Cook kit as well. They will be an even quicker build as I'll be doing earlier period Gassers and they have just about the right parts out of the box. I'll change the engines and wheels and thats about it.

Yes, they have great wheels and engines in them. great for the parts box! if ya dont want yours. I mean ah um. LOL. Down fall is, the tires are not all that great for the older builds as you pointed out! I do not have a good collection of the oldefr style things myself, but trying to work on it! Mean while, these extra tires and rims I am saving for a couple of more 70ish builds. LOL. Keep us posted! Jody

Jody,the slicks that come in those kits could go on a car back to 1965. Anything before that would likely have wrinkle walls. If you want some nice skinny old school wrinkles walls try Modelhaus.

Brad, I use those skinny Firestone tires for just about every build. In this case I may have to use those smaller diameter tires to keep the height down a little and to be able to use those rims. Those tires are a little bit odd looking to me as well but they did actually use tires just like them through the second half of the sixties.

I was aiming for a circa 1969 car but if the front end is still up a bit after completion I'll have to call it a 68. 1969 was the year NHRA wanted the car to sit level. Of course who knows how picky they were. :unsure::)

I never thought of using those front slotted mags as rear rims. You'd have to use a hollow tire.

I never liked the 4x4 stance of any of the kits or 1:1 cars. That kind of stance makes a Gasser look like a truck to go in the woods with in my opinion. Adjusting the stance in the Willys or Anglia kits is an automatic thing for me. I prefer to have not so much space between the wheel opening and the tire. I don't care for the front end being up there too high either. Alot of 1:1 cars actually ran them like that though. I guess thats one of the reasons I don't build actual famous cars.

Here is a Thames I did a while ago with a corrected stance. The ladder bars wanted to hit the floor so I had to alter those.

IMG_8229.jpg

This Willys i'm working on now is actually backwards for me. I had to make it sit a little higher.

The valve stems? Just drilled a tiny hole and used this crazy thin sized styrene rod I got from Plastistruct ( painted black ). You could use wire or anything. Doesn't get any simpler.

Here is the body in primer stage. Yep, a mix of grey primer, iron oxide primer and a touch of orange Duplicolour for good measure. A bit of an experiment actually.

IMG_4864.jpg

Tear er out Grumpy and go at er'.

I don't know man, but this thing is getting funky. I did a mock up and the passenger side front wheel stuck out to far. So, .. I cut the axle and shortened it a little. Now I'm wondering if both front wheels stick out too far. The rear wheels don't seem to be out far enough. These tires are not as wide as the ones that came with this kit. Guess I didn't think that through enough. :rolleyes:

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4893.jpg

Edited by noname

Okay, I'm going to keep on this one as planned. I tore off the front suspension and will do it over. I'm also going to try and fix the rear tires so they are out closer to the fenders. When in doubt, take your trusty blade out. In other words, go at it till your happy! :rolleyes:

Edited by noname

I need to have at least a couple builds on the go this time of year as it is just to cold to go out in the shed and paint some days.

I was inspired for this build by a Willys in the last Rod and Kulture. I thought a 426 Max Wedge was a great engine ( unusual that is ) for a Willys. So here is the plan. A guy buys a weathered Willys in the late sixties that was raced in the earlier sixties and sat around for a few years. You know, passed around maybe like cars do. Hence the weathering (mild ) that will take place. Car probably had a Hemi or an Olds motor in it's early years. So this guy gets a hold of an old Super Stock motor that was left by the way side for a Hemi. Imagine how many times that probably happened in the real world.

Here is the Willys. Ever seen one before? :)

IMG_4817.jpg

Here is the motor that comes in the AMT Merc. Had to redo the manifold, thin the fan belt and add a little detail to the front of the heads.

IMG_4814.jpg

And the wheels. Those rear rims won't be staying chrome. And I'll be turning the four link into ladder bars.

IMG_4818.jpg

Thanks for looking.

is this the revel kit ? dumb question i know and were u get those rims from ? thanks looks good so far i got two wait to be done

After looking at some pics of the Ramchargers "High and Mighty", I see my freind was right. They did use what was probably the first 4 link. So in order save me some time scratchbuilding, I decided to leave the kit 4 link with a few made up brackets to keep it looking not so new. The guys you raced this Gasser were smart and ahead of their time. :)

IMG_4825.jpg

Also turned the kit inner door panels to "stripped" mode.

IMG_4819.jpg

u dont mined if i use ur door idea for mine do u ?

The kit is the Revell Street Rod kit. The Cragars are from the Rat Packer.

Yes use my inner door panel panel idea . They are taken from a photo of a 1:1 Willys so are pretty correct.

The slots came from one of the Willys Gasser kits I believe.

To dull the tires I dipped them in alcohol for a while but got better results when I got the bright idea of rubbing them with toothpaste. Toms of Maine to be exact but I'm sure it doesn't matter. I'm thinking it's the baking soda.