Model Cars Magazine Forum

70.5 Camaro

envious8420

yeah, the rear will not be getting the same treatment as the sides and front.

gotta say Ive seen better from amt, i was surprised the box had a label claiming "molded in white" but alas bright orangeness.

the body also needs a lot of clean up.

divots in the roof

LF fender is higher than the hood, but is fairly even with the other panels.

use a lot of caution when removing the hood from the tree, there is a potential for some real damage here.

the camaro script on the deck lid seems very out of place 2/3rds of the way down the lid.

most of you who know me know that these arnt really a big deal for me, but just somethings to watch out for , for others. :D:blink:;)

Sounds like you don't want to build a replica, but rather use artistic license. Good plan. You can go with whatever wheels you want, etc.

I like ground effects, but in this case, the way the sides and rear flare out, looks not so good. Maybe if it was more vertical, as a wrap-around rib, would enable the chin spoiler to carry the design to the sides and rear.

You really cannot go wrong here!

I have been out of the hobby for quite some time. One of the kits that I went GA-GA over before my break was the Baldwin-Motion kit from AMT. It was a very good alternative to spending the insane prices for the 70s annual kits.

The kit has good proportions and nice detail. There was also a release soon after the B-M Camaro of a well proportioned 70 1/2 Z/28 using the same tooling from the B-M kit - it was quite nice from what I understand.

I purchased a kit a few years (about 1990 - 91) before the B/M kit - also by AMT - of a 70 1/2 Camaro (very retouched Orange box art). It was overly simplified JUNK! I think it had metal axles or something with a molded in rear axle a very badly proportioned engine for the car - I'm not even sure the small block had siamesed exhaust ports for the headers. it also had HUGE taillight holes in the rear panel.

So what we have is:

70s annual kits - Very nice - and quite expensive.

A mystery 70 1/2 Camaro kit from AMT with bad proportions and contours and overly simplified building.

The Baldwin-Motion 70 Camaro kit - a very nice alternative.

A 70 1/2 kit from AMT released after the B/M kit with the B/M tooling.

And now a re-release of another AMT Camaro mystery kit - which one is it?

One final question - which kit is the Model King kit - the good one from the B/M tooling or the junk one from the AMT release prior?

In other words - what Camaro kit(s) do we avoid?

Very Nice Rendition, not trying to be judgemental,More defined tailights You don't want it to look like a Mustang across the back. A suggestion that I was considering for the kit, change the contoured rear deck spoiler with a blade type spoiler and wrap it around the rear fenders and end at a point just above the side reflector lens. I think that would help with the rear fender skirt's look. :lol:

Very Nice Rendition, not trying to be judgmental,More defined taillights You don't want it to look like a Mustang across the back. A suggestion that I was considering for the kit, change the contoured rear deck spoiler with a blade type spoiler and wrap it around the rear fenders and end at a point just above the side reflector lens. I think that would help with the rear fender skirt's look. :D

blade type??

like on the late 70's early 80's models?

mock up pics

i think i might go with this wheel and tire combo for now.

started shaping in the front spoiler.

the ride height has been lowered and i think thats about as low as i want to go.

cowl hood is also in the works. just too basic to pic

for arguments sake ill throw in airbags and a 4 link.

100_9540.jpg

100_9541.jpg

100_9542.jpg

as always comments etc... always welcomed

Edited by envious8420

• 10 months later...