Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Vw Bug

Randy Kern

This is Tamiya's excellent kit of a '66 VW Bug. The only reason it's a 'Penna. look' is because I'm in Pa., not Ca. :) . The interior color is Rustoleum's Interior Accents 'Soft Wheat'. The body is done in Dupli-Color's Alpine Green Pearl. I love VW Bugs, and I love all the quirky little things about the older ones, like the two different outside mirrors, the body trim, covered headlights, heater controls, etc. The only thing I didn't care for with this model was the bumpers, so I left them off. The wheels are from the '50 Ford pickup re-issue, The steering wheel is parts box, and the oversize skull shift knob is a white metal item from my local fantasy game store. The carpet is copper embossing powder.

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

I have the foiling to do, make some nice slash-cut dual exhaust tips, and the rest of the assembly.

Edited by Randy Kern

I'm really liking this build.......that steering wheel ALMOST looks like an earlier EMPI unit, and the skull is an awesome touch. Paint is killer and the wheel/tire combo looks great with the rest of the car. Look forward to the 'Under Glass' show-off of this one!