Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello everybody & happy new year!!!

I wish to all the new year to brink tones of plastic and resin KITS.

The truck that I will show you is a PETERBILT 359 (REVELL OF GERMANY), part of the KIT combination with the car transporter. This topic is only for the PETERBILT and not for the trailer.

I had build this truck about 10 years ago, painted a pal blue color and after 2 years I decided that I didn't like it that way, so back in the 2002 the restoration started. Its a long time I know, I don't even have any picture of the truck how it was builded. When I was mooved to a new house before 4 years the restoration was interapted and the truck was sitting in a box till a few days ago when I decided to rebuild this truck.

The title ''The reborn'' is choosen because after all these years the KIT was heavyly damaged and many - many parts are missing...

peterbilt359restoration0001.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0002.jpg

So lets see what is going on, on the workbench:

This is how the kit should look like if someone wants to build it out of the box

peterbilt359restoration0003.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0005.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0006.jpg

I started the rebuild/modification by modifying the feders

peterbilt359restoration0007.jpg

and I also made some heavy modifications to the headache rack

peterbilt359restorationheadacherack.jpg

peterbilt359restorationheadacher-1.jpg

Edited by Kostas

Well the following pictures are a mock up of the truck. The frame rails have been streched 10cm and because the chassis was damaged I decided to cover the frame by adding a piece of plastic

peterbilt359restoration0016.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0017.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0018.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0019.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0020.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0021.jpg

Thats all till now.

Now I have to scruchbuild two toolboxes to feel the gap between the headache rack and the drive axles, then to attach the quarter feders stolen from a FORD AEROMAX.

I hope to finish this truck soon... LOL

Happy new year,

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas

• 6 months later...

Hello Guys,

To long time since the last update but, since March 17th when my whife gave birth to our first child, I lost all my free time.

Ok, not all my free time, so I try to manage my time and dedicate just 2 or 3 hours per week for modeling.

Back to the reborn,

I rebuild the rear axles

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

the plan is to have 4 toolboxes and because I wanted to be all the same I diceded to schrach them so here is the kit toolbox

DSC01458.jpg

and here is mine a kind of custom

DSC01459.jpg

I also decided that I don't like the fake gril screen of the kit so removed it and I will use a custom mess

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

More to come...

Edited by Kostas

more mock up picts

DSC01462.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01473.jpg

DSC01474.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

So this is the status of the reborn so far.

I am planing, after my vacations, to try and complete all the detail touches here and there and then go for the first hand of primer.

To many things to do, so little time....

I wish to all of you to have happy summer and joy your vacations.

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas

Kostas,

Slow but sure progress.. I like your headache rack.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

The inspiration for this, came from yours headche rack, the one you did for your tan PETERBILT 359 with the red/black stripes, but I overdo with mine! LOL

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas

Nice work so far...keep it up.

Are you going to leave the stacks black ?

I like it :D

Mark,

All these black parts (front bumper, gril, fuel tanks, stacks,) were chrome plated but the chrome was damaged and I decided to remove the chrome and when I will get ready for, I will use alcad chrome to paint them including the toolboxes, the headache rack, the quarter feeders and the rear bumper.

Kostas.

Kostas,

Very impressive looking project. Have you considered an Extended Hood? There is certainly enough frame to allow for it. For me that was one of the big disappointments of the Revell 359. They should have put an extended hood on it.

Good Luck with the rest of the project.

Dave

Kostas,

Very impressive looking project. Have you considered an Extended Hood? There is certainly enough frame to allow for it. For me that was one of the big disappointments of the Revell 359. They should have put an extended hood on it.

Good Luck with the rest of the project.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Thanks you for your kind words.

I really like the traditional 359 sort hood and I want to have a custom work horse look as a result, thats for the so extended frame. Sometimes when I am looking my pictures, I think that if I add some chains to be resting under the headache rack it will look like an ICE ROAD TRUCK LOL.

About REVELL AG and other makes of kits, as we all know they produse toyz and I believe that they don't care inough about what we modelers want/need. Thats why all these years there are not new truck kits to the market. Also don't forget about licence and trademarks of manufacturers.

Nowdays ITALERI seems that they have change their minds about us and they organized their site. I hope to see soon a new truck kit from them.

Also Moebius throw a very big rock in the water by produsing the VERY WELCOMED LONESTAR!!!

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas

• 11 months later...

Hello guys,

It's a looooooong time since the last update, but you all know how life is going on...

I thought that today was a very good day to do some progress on to the reborn project, you know, wife at work, child visiting granmother, nice evening, early at home etc...

So I decided to aply a first coat of primer and here are the results:

peterbilt359restoration0042.jpg

peterbilt359restoration0041.jpg

And I was so happy and then the primer can was emptied and I didn't even start to aply any primer coat on the frame, so just the body and the accessories was primed

peterbilt359restoration0043.jpg

I am gonna buy some primer maybe tomorow, so I want to believe that in the coming weekend I will aply a coat of primer also to the frame.

Good evening,

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas Parchas

cool.gif, Nice this truck has come a long way, doing a great job on it, I cant wait to see more....

Michael,

Thank you for your comment, I am trying to improove my skills on this build.

Its a very slow progress build, and after the first coat of primer (I call it: open_my_eyes) some details apeared and more work is needed before the paint flys to the plastic.

Kostas.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you guys,

I am not alowed to spend much time for my trucks. My 19 months old girl is ''dads girl'' if you know what I mean so there is not much really free time....

I am jealous on how other guys here are finishing one truck after the other and then the other.....

Kostas.

undefined