Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing Chrome

ok so ive got an amt 94 lightning kit im workin on and there are some body parts that are chrome that arent supposed to be,

so i lookin for an easy to get the chrome off and be able to paint the pieces.

(im not sure if ive got any of the stuff ive seen mentioned to remove paint either but i may)

thanks in advance

ok so ive got an amt 94 lightning kit im workin on and there are some body parts that are chrome that arent supposed to be,

(im not sure if ive got any of the stuff ive seen mentioned to remove paint either but i may)

thanks in advance

I use yellow can Easy Off cleaner. Another option is Clorox. I've heard Coke too, but that may take some time. Make sure to use safety wear. Do not inhale the easy off fumes.

Chris

thanks in advance

Windex or any product with ammonia will remove the chrome. EasyOff oven cleaner will work, but I would only use that as a last resort.

I have just had to do the same with the Austin Mini I'm building, I modified the mini Cooper bumpers but needed to de-chrome them as i'm going to spray them with Alclad, i used Caustic soda crystals mixed with cold water, didn't take long for the chrome to pop right off, i use the same stuff to strip paint

101_2400.JPG

I've only had to strip chrome a couple of times, but I've found that bleach is fantastic for it.

I had two valve covers that I had to removed the chrome from to paint them, put them in about 1/3 cup of bleach in an old jelly jar....not even ten minutes. Leaving the lacquer on didn't bother me, though; I found it actually makes a pretty good base for the paint.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...