Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Revell Fireball & Gambler Chopper- Mini Review

Mr. Metallic

Just a quick rifling thru the box produced these impressions.

1) Most of the parts are a mix and match of other parts offered in the previous 4 kits

2) Unique parts include sweet wheels, seat, flame motif primary cover and air cleaner.

3) Real Fire decals look great, hope they apply just as good as they look.

That's all for now. I love these kits. I also saw the Gambler, #6 of 6 of the Revell Choppers, but didn't have enough cash to pick it up. Great kits, if you haven't gotten yourself one yet...

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Are all the motors the same? This version is a panhead but I was looking for an EVO. If they're all the same, I guess I'll head over to my father-in-law's garage and check his bikes to see what changes would have to be scratched up.

TIA

PANHEAD?! :shock: If so, I'll have to get one!

I thought they all had the same EVO engine. Here's my Crusader kit's engine, for comparison to your pieces.

DSC03516-vi.jpg

I just opened the kit about 10 minutes before I took off for work but according to the kit instructions it's a panhead. I didn't have time to verify with my references. My father-in-law has a pair of EVO's so I'll head over there this weekend to figure out which it's closer to.

That doesn't look like any "real" panhead I've ever seen...tha edges should be flat, kinda like an oil pan w/bolts holding them onto tha cylinders. I'm not a biker, but my bro is an ex Outlaw biker.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. I'l probably pick up one of these eventually on clearence down the road. I have sooo many of the others that I can wait.

Hopefully Revell will announce something at Toy Fair(or whatever it's called now) next month. They've really created a great product with these, they don't stay on shelves long around here. Hopefully they won't rest on their laurels and throw some new parts at this tooling.

I'm going to dream here a bit and wish for a hubless rear wheel, springer front end, wide tank...

and maybe a carb?

Revell did two 1/12 choppers in the early '70s - Rough Rider & Chain Gang. They were shovelheads done up in the style of the day - king & queen seat, sissy bars, looooong forks, belly in the air, peanut tank, etc. I submitted a request on revell.com that they re-release those as a compliment to the new-style bikes. Do the same and maybe that will happen!

I'm going to dream here a bit and wish for a hubless rear wheel, springer front end, wide tank...

and maybe a carb?

Replicas & Miniatures has the wide tank and a package containing two carbs, a stock Harley aircleaner and an S&S air cleaner. Here's the wide tank. I didn't take a picture of the carb package before I used them.

DSCN6668-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be, but the fact is, the motor in the Revell kits — an aftermarket H-D clone — is representative of what most custom bike builders are using these days. Harleys have gotten just a wee bit too expensive to cut up!

Not to mention that R-M would have to purchase the rights to the H-D logo etc.