Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck,Jeep, Hummer, Suv Build Off

rolltide

that would be cool

im hardly ever online but there is always the PM on the forum

my main issues are with the bottom of the engine (its a curbside kit) and all the little doohickies and thingamabobbers on the frame

id like to try and paint them correct

ok can u give me ur model (xxx) of the truck and box art ???

Just a quick update on the CJ-7 - Warmed up enough yesterday to squirt some paint. Hit it with a coat of primer and sanded where it needed sanded. Next up was a coat of Krylon Yellow (same as the 1:1). Some flat black on the interior (best I could do for Rhino Lining) and the engine compartment and we're in business. The cage included in the kit was horrible. I started cutting it up and am planning to do a full cage using sprue (same diameter).

a86e090e.jpg

The engine was a Chevy 305 painted Grabber Green. The 360 in the kit will do the job. I looked for a close match to the green I used, but couldn't find anything in a bottle. A little Pearl Green by Boyd seemed like a good idea, but I'm not so sure. We're see after another coat to cover the silver/chrome base.

31f79e50.jpg

And just for fun, I found this 20th scale jeep 95% completed in my kit cabinet. I finished off the little pieces/parts and figured I'd post it up for the heck of it.

31c0c40f.jpg

Edited by Murphy's Law

My roomie bought the Lindberg kit (some of his build can be seen here.}

He's relatively new to modeling and I've helped him along some. His first attempt at using Dupli-Color was less than stellar, although not completely his fault. He just moved from Florida to Nebraska and cold weather is something new to deal with.

The kit seems to be moving along ok, but there are some weird issues I've noticed. The multi piece bed it a pain in the behind. After paint, we noticed a huge sink mark in the roof of the cab. Sanding took care of most of it, but after a reshoot, it was still noticeable.

What kind of problems are you having?

Edited by Murphy's Law

Just a quick update on the CJ-7 - Warmed up enough yesterday to squirt some paint. Hit it with a coat of primer and sanded where it needed sanded. Next up was a coat of Krylon Yellow (same as the 1:1). Some flat black on the interior (best I could do for Rhino Lining) and the engine compartment and we're in business. The cage included in the kit was horrible. I started cutting it up and am planning to do a full cage using sprue (same diameter).

a86e090e.jpg

The engine was a Chevy 305 painted Grabber Green. The 360 in the kit will do the job. I looked for a close match to the green I used, but couldn't find anything in a bottle. A little Pearl Green by Boyd seemed like a good idea, but I'm not so sure. We're see after another coat to cover the silver/chrome base.

31f79e50.jpg

And just for fun, I found this 20th scale jeep 95% completed in my kit cabinet. I finished off the little pieces/parts and figured I'd post it up for the heck of it.

31c0c40f.jpg

very nice heres pic's of my 1:1 this is a 1974

000_0145-1.jpg

000_0144-1.jpg

000_0146-1.jpg

000_0147-1.jpg

Update on the Dust Devil. 100_1269.jpgHere's the chassis mockup. I've swapped the intake out for a 4bbl, as the kit intake is an incorrect 2bbl. Full time 4x4 trucks used 4bbl carbs. I am using an incorrect manifolt, as it is the one from the AMT '66 Nova (I think, came out of the parts box) and it is going to have a Holley carb, but since it is a custom truck, I don't think it's out of place.

100_1270.jpg This is a mockup with the cab and interior in place. There's still some primer work that needs done, and I need to work out some issues with the fender badges. Seems the primer I used wantes to bury them.

I've also got a couple of side projects I'm working on with it.

100_1271.jpg Model King '72 Blazer. Still in the planning stages, it is getting an engine swap to the 350/350 combo from the '84 GMC, I wanted an automatic in it. I added the t-case adapter from a junk parts box trans to adapt the kit t-case.

100_1273.jpg'68 and '69 MPC Chevies. Both were aquired through Joe Chernauskas as builtups. The blue '68 was a very nasty gluebomb, with an incorrect engine (the 427 form the IMC '48 Ford) 3 mags of unknown origin, and 1 Hurst mag. It had ben built as a tow truck, and didn't come with any of the stock parts. I'm converting it into a C30 with a corrected wheelbase and chassis. The grille was redone with Alclad.

The '69 was built as the firetruck, but did come with the original box and all the unused parts, including an untouched pair of bedsides and tailgate. It's getting converted into a K20, using the chassis from the '84 GMC. The rear axle will be getting replaced with a more accurate one, which is in the next pic.

100_1272.jpgThis is the axle I'm working on. When it's done, and cast, it will be an Eaton HO 52/72, which was used in most Chevrolet and some GMC 3/4 and 1 ton trucks from '47-'72. It's based on an axle from a Quadzilla kit, with the 3rd memeber replaced with one that is partly a casting from a Jada diecast '53 Chevy tow truck, and partly hand fabricated. Once done, I will be popping a mold and casting it. Got 4 projects requiring 5 of these axles; the 2 trucks pictured above, a '72 Camper Special (which could also use a Spicer 60), and a '57 Chevy 3800 Napco 4x4, which needs 2 of them.

Thanks for looking.

well I'm still waiting on the 99 silverado, the guy at my lhs said they discontinued the stock one, so I'm going to order the custom one, if they still make it (it's still in revells catolog), and make it stock, because I got all the parts to do that.

IF you'd rather purchase the stock Silverado, then you can still get it from here: http://www.modelroundup.com/mrcategory1034.htm

Otherwise, the Custom version is still sold pretty much everywhere.

Edited by YJIslander