Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck,Jeep, Hummer, Suv Build Off

rolltide

I just finished a Peterbilt project and was going to start on my CJ for this build and, as normally happens, the ADD kicks in and... well, you get the idea.

Sitting in my build room and was looking through old boxes and ran across a early 70's Firebird that I had built as my first 1:1 (red with a black vinyl top). It was poorly executed and in dire need of a rebuild. As I was separating this from that, the body ended up on top of the interior tub. Dave has a High Roller Chevy Luv going in another thread and inspiration struck: 4x4 Firebird!

A little digging turned up a Bronco chassis with complete running gear. A quick test fit and ohhhh-my.

Cleaned up the joints and shot some Ford Dark Blue Duplicolor on it. Started trimming out the body and found a couple really nice runs on the passenger side. The ADD kicked in again and we started patch panels, replacement panels, untreated cancer... Then the ADD got ADD and remembered weasel's "how-to" on mud. A couple minutes with some dark brown acrylic (for easy cleanup) and here we are:

74f4eaa0.jpg

9dfff5bb.jpg

Haven't thought too much about a motor just yet. Maybe a Hemi? GM body-Ford running gear-Dodge power. How can that go wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys I'm going to be taking the 81 bronco out of this, because I have other builds that need to get done and plus I have some plans that arn't 4x4 releated, a 5.0 from a 92 mustang and lowered down something like this

311c1b0b.jpg

oh yea.

I did finish my cameo though! I just want to make it really cool and the way I want it, since these are hard to find around here.

Getting close on this. Found a Chevy 427 out of a '36 Plymouth circle car and wired it up. Interior was repainted gray and black with the addition of ripped seats (typical for a vehicle like this) and a second shifter for the transfer case. Threw some more mud using my nasal spray bottle technique and a tube rear bumper. Still need to cut down the unibody frame from the 'bird to fit and maybe a Nascar fuel cell...

eaeb5391.jpg

09df4844.jpg

cedfdfb3.jpg

Do you mind if I join in the fun. I started this for another build project last month, and I think the DAF needs some American competition! It is a 1980ish Ford LTL 9000 with Livestock trailer, and YES, there will be cows with it!

HPIM1625.jpg

HPIM1630.jpg

This is what I have done so far:

HPIM1690.jpg

HPIM1694.jpg

The custom sleeper is being rebuilt at the moment, it had a tragic accident with the side of the hutch on my desk! :D

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm blind! I just now found this thread! Lotta great ideas here!

Jeepster25, where did you get the Cherokee body and the old style, Gladiator nose? I've been looking for both and would love to get ahold of a couple of each!

OK, I just fired off a PM to Rolltide expresing my interest in joining this build. It'll give me an excuse to build a '57 Chevy. I'm pretty sure what your first visual image was... trust me, not that '57 Chevy. I want to build a '57 Chevy Suburban. I'll use a Jimmy Flintstone resin body and an AMT 1957 Chevy Stepside for the donor kit:

w0718y.jpg

Edited by Wagoneer81

Here is a current build I'm working on that I hope will be finished soon. I hope it qualifies.

I started with the Revell Diecast Tomb Raider Jeep. I scratchbuilt a new rollcage. Instead of putting the rear seat in I added plastruct diamond tread and covered it with BMF. I added a stokes basket, surfboard, flippers & gear bags. I also added a whip antenna, radio and emergency lights on the hood. I stripped the chrome off the wheels and painted them with Tamiya Silver Leaf. Decals came from Lindberg Baywatch Toyota P/U kit.

I hope to get more painting done this weekend.

100_7159-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

100_7167-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• 1 month later...

Hey Wagoneer81,

I've been away for a few months and just saw your question, I got the Wagoneer body with the Gladiator nose from Race Motor Replicas (RMR). I modifed the Wagoneer body into the Cherokee body because RMR didn't have a Cherokee body yet. Your Chevy Suburban looks like a cool project!

Ok, I'm blind! I just now found this thread! Lotta great ideas here!

Jeepster25, where did you get the Cherokee body and the old style, Gladiator nose? I've been looking for both and would love to get ahold of a couple of each!

OK, I just fired off a PM to Rolltide expresing my interest in joining this build. It'll give me an excuse to build a '57 Chevy. I'm pretty sure what your first visual image was... trust me, not that '57 Chevy. I want to build a '57 Chevy Suburban. I'll use a Jimmy Flintstone resin body and an AMT 1957 Chevy Stepside for the donor kit:

w0718y.jpg

Edited by Jeepster25

Guest Mustang3.8

Well guys I'm going to be taking the 81 bronco out of this, because I have other builds that need to get done and plus I have some plans that arn't 4x4 releated, a 5.0 from a 92 mustang and lowered down something like this

311c1b0b.jpg

oh yea.

That's a cool Bronco, Jared. May I ask where that pic was taken? I see it has BC plates.

I did finish my cameo though! I just want to make it really cool and the way I want it, since these are hard to find around here.