1/25 Revell '72 Hurst/Olds Cutlass Kit

W-Machine

• 3 weeks later...

72 Hurst Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 Convertible 2Ëœn 1
Revell Kit # 4244
½5 Scale
122 Pieces and Decals
New Tool

I was shocked and amazed when Revell made the announcement of a totally new tool of the 1972 Oldsmobile Hurst Olds Convertible. For years, the modeling community had the opportunity to build such a car, utilizing a rare Jo Han 1970-1972 Olds 442 Hardtop kit, an aftermarket resin kit (convertible body, boot, front and rear fascias), and a set of Hurst Olds Decals. I did such a thing about 10 years ago. I was never completely happy with the build, but at the time, it was the best way to build such a car. Like a lot of modelers in my age group, any well made kit of one of the General Motorsâ„¢ A body cars from 1968-1972 would be very welcome, and this kit will not disappoint the person who has an affection for these cars.

When I opened the heavy cardboard box, I was pleasantly surprised at what was in the box. The kit is moulded in clean, white styrene for the major components, along with chromed, clear, clear red, vinyl tires, a decal sheet, and metal parts for the various assemblies.

The manufacturer designed this kit to build one of two cars, the Hurst Olds Convertible, and the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible with the 442 W30 Option Package. Well, to be honest, the kit will only build an accurate Replica Stock Hurst Olds with the components from the kit, and not the 442 W30 in the strictest sense. While the kit includes a set of 442 W30 side stripes in white, the W25 Hood and stripe package, and 442 emblems in decal form, the kit will yield a tastefully done Restified car, and not an accurate factory stock 1972 Olds 442 Convertible. While not mentioned by the kit manufacturer, an accurate 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible, with the W29 Hood Package can be built from this kit, by adding a set of decals or photo-etched Cutlass scripts to the front fenders, and O-L-D-S-M-O-B-I-L-E letters to the deck-lid.

In 1972, Oldsmobile marketed the 442 as an appearance and handling package, which was available on most any Cutlass trim level, to make the car available to those who did not need, nor could afford the ownership of a high performance car. When the convertible was specified, the Cutlass Supreme Series was the base package. All Cutlass convertibles in 1972 were based on the Supreme model line, including various exterior and interior trim upgrades, with the W29 442 appearance and handling package available as a sub-option. When the 442 Appearance and Handling Package (Oldsmobile Regular Production Option W29) were ordered from the factory, certain distinct components were included, which superceded the items standard on the particular model the car was based on.

According to my sources**, the 442 Appearance and Handling Package consisted of the following equipment:

Body-side and Deck-lid Striping, 442 Radiator Grille, Black Hood Louvers and Grille and Deck-lid Numerals, and optionalâ„¢s FE2(Rallye Suspension Package), and Y73(Paint Stripe Decal).

These items are not included in the kit, but surprisingly the 442 Grille Insert and Bumper from the old Jo-Han annual can fit this kit with a little modification, therefore a very close representation of a 1972 442 with the W30 option can be built, if you can get these parts in resin, which is available from the Modelhaus. The only item not currently available in the aftermarket would be the proper Deck-lid striping decal.

In my opinion, these issues are minor. This is one excellent model kit. The included components are well proportioned, and are among the best detailed in kit form from any manufacturer. The kit goes together easily, the parts fit is excellent, and with a little effort and proper painting techniques will yield an excellent model. Let's look at what is in the box:

The engine assembly represents the venerable Oldsmobile 455 V8, which was standard on the Hurst Oldsmobile version, and optional on the Cutlass Supreme/442. The engine can be built as either the standard 455(as per the instructions painting directions), or the W30 455, by painting the intake manifold with flat aluminum metalizer paint. The builder has a choice of a Turbo Hydra-matic 400 Automatic Transmission, or a 4-speed Manual Transmission with the standard metal BELLHOUSING. These items are the absolute best representation of an Oldsmobile power team in scale, bar none. The engraving is crisp, and once built up is quite convincing. I would love to have several of them for other Oldsmobile projects. The only change I would make is to delete the chrome plating from the fuel pump and carburetor, as these parts were actually a dull brass color from the factory.

The interior assembly is an excellent representation of the Cutlass Supreme trim level with bucket seats. The floorboard, rear seat, and front fender wells are moulded as one unit, and represent the real car faithfully, with its fine detail. The dashboard, two piece front bucket seats,
Operating pedal assemblies, consoles and shifters are all separate parts for easier detailing. The builder gets a choice of a 4-speed manual, or automatic transmission equipped, by installing the desired pedals and console. As a bonus, there are proper wood grain decals for the dashboard, console, and door and side panels, as well as gage decals for the dash.

In the real world the 1972 Cutlass Supreme had three interior color combinations:

Black
Saddle (Medium brown)
White Seats and Door Panels, with Black Dashboard, Steering Column and Steering Wheel, Carpets (a floorboard and lower door panel), and Console.

There are several exterior color combinations, which will coordinate with these interior trims for the Cutlass Supreme/442, but I have never seen a Hurst Olds in real life with anything other than the Cameo White exterior, and the Black interior color.

The firewall is a separate piece, which represents an item from an air-conditioned car, with its components, a separate windshield wiper motor, brake reservoir, and power-brake booster. The front fender wells, wiper motor, brake reservoir, and firewall are semi-gloss black, while the power-brake booster is a dull, greenish, brassy color.

The dash board is very well engraved, with a separate steering column with stalk and ignition key detail, and includes a very good representation of the Oldsmobile Custom Sport Steering Wheel(R.P.O. N34). It attaches easily to the assembled door panels of the interior assembly and is quite convincing when properly painted and decaled. The battery is a separate part, which mounts next to the left side fender-well.

The Chassis Assembly is very well engraved, and quite sharp in its detail. The transmission cross-member can be installed in one of two positions, depending on which transmission the modeler equips the model with. The steering box/shaft, front and rear coil springs, drive-shaft, left and right exhaust pipes are separate pieces. There are simplified, well engraved front suspension/cross-member assembly, and a very nicely engraved multi-piece rear axle assembly with detailed control arms, sway bar, shock absorbers, and a 12-bolt rear axle cover. When assembled and properly painted and detailed, this assembly represents the real car very well. Included in the parts, but not mentioned in the directions is an excellent representation of the Oldsmobile W27 Rear Axle package, which was not available on the ˜72 models from the factory on the real cars. Maybe we will get a ˜71 or a ˜72 variant of this tool in the near future. (I am hoping for either a '68 Hurst Olds Hardtop, a '70 or a '71 442/W30 Hardtop Coupe, ˜70 Cutlass Rallye 350 Hardtop Coupe, or ˜70 442 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car Convertible ).

The Wheel and Tire Assembly includes a set of very well executed chrome plated Oldsmobile Super Stock II/III wheels, and no-named bias ply tires with no side wall details, a metal axle pin, and a wheel back with no, disc or drum brake detail. The difference between the Oldsmobile Super Stock II(R.P.O. N66) and Super Stock III(R.P.O. N67), is the paint treatment, the Super Stock II painted Gunmetal, and the Super Stock III painted the lower body color, which the modeler must do. The Hurst Olds came from the factory with Super Stock II wheels, but a lot was painted Hurst Firefrost Gold to match up with the exterior stripe package. Decals are provided for the Olds Rockets in each of the chromed wheel center caps.

An interesting aspect of this kit, and common with most recent Revell kits is a separate, chromed windshield frame. This is the first application of this set-up on a model of a '68 through '72 GM A body, and it comes off very well, saving the builder a lot of extra work foiling the frame. The windshield is separate, as well as the sun visors and rear view mirror. However, not mentioned in the instructions, the upper part of the windshield frame and sun visors is painted either Black, or Saddle, depending on the interior color. The windshield/frame assembly fit snugly in the body, and looks excellent once installed.

The well-engraved radiator assembly includes upper and lower radiator hoses, and attaches to the front of the chassis assembly, which goes into the most accurate rendition of a '68 through '72 General Motors A Body I have ever seen in a kit. To be fair, the AMT '68 El Camino is also very well done, and in its own way surpasses this kit in overall detail and execution in the chassis assembly with its separate frame, and front suspension assembly. The body in this kit is just drop dead gorgeous in execution. As from the box, the body is set up as a Cutlass Supreme/Hurst Olds, but not as a 442. Whenever a 442 was specified, the rocker panel mouldings were deleted and mid-body stripes were included. When the 442 package was Specified. The rocker panel mouldings are moulded on the body in the model kit, are accurate for a Hurst Olds, or a Cutlass Supreme Convertible, without the 442 options, so in order to do an accurate 442, the modeler must carefully remove the rocker panel mouldings prior to painting.

The well-done Front Assembly consists of a well-engraved bumper and grille, with separate clear head and parking lamps, a separate grille divider which must be painted to match the exterior and a separate chrome license plate. Not mentioned in the instructions, the grille mesh (Hurst Olds), and most of the headlamp bezels must be finished in flat black, except the very edge on both. As mentioned earlier in this review, a proper 442 Grille is not included in this kit, but is available from the aftermarket, and will fit after some slight modifications. Unfortunately the Jo-Han kit-derived grille has moulded in headlamp detail, and these do not show as well as a unit with separate clear lenses.

The convertible boot is well-executed, and should be painted to match the seats in the interior, no matter which version you build. There is no up-top in the kit. I am quite sure that there is an aftermarket (resin) item, which will fit the car. I know of one from Time Machine Resin, but as of this writing, I cannot verify the fit of it.

The Rear Assembly consists of a well-engraved rear bumper, with proper red-clear '72 Olds Cutlass tail-lamps, a separate chrome license plate, an after-market rear spoiler, and separate chrome metal tips for the exhaust pipes. While the real metal tips are a nice touch, I would rather use plastic tubing for the tips, as I can slash cut them, like what is on the real car. Not mentioned in the instructions, the dividers on the tail-lamp lenses should be done in flat black on the Hurst Olds.

The Air Cleaner assembly represents Oldsmobile's Ram-Air item, and is very well engraved. The Air Conditioner evaporator and hose also installed at this point. Not mentioned in the instructions, the solenoid should be painted silver, and the foam seal on the edge should be painted flat-gray. There is another air cleaner included in the kit, but not mentioned in the instructions.

The Hood Assembly consists of a well-done Ram-Air hood, with separate hood hinges, and chromed hood pins. Not mentioned in the instructions, The inlets should be painted flat black.

The Final Assembly includes separate chromed door handles, body-color sports mirrors, with separate mirror heads, and an exterior thermometer. The exterior decals are for two versions, The Hurst Olds, and a Restified 442 Convertible, either version will yield a stunning model once built. Pick up a kit, or two, and have at it. You will not be disappointed. I would like to thank Revell for having the foresight to market this excellent kit, and Bill Coulter and Len Carsner for taking the time to do a pre-release build and review of this kit, as posted on various on-line modeling boards.

Ron Hamilton

** 1972 Oldsmobile Brochure
** Oldsmobile 4-4-2 and W-Machines Restoration Guide, by T. Patrick Sullivan

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Thanks Ron, for the in detail reveiw! AND the extra info about the 442. I didn't know all the "goodies" about it! I still haven't seen one on the shelves, I'll be sure to get it when I do. I'm lookin forward to it,after Bill & Lens build up, and this reveiw!Thanks!smile.gifwink.gif

Thank you Ron for the great review and additional information about the 442 differences. I got one of these kits on Monday, and even before I cracked the shrink wrap I knew that I wanted to build both versions. An uptop would be a huge bonus! Do you know if the Model Car Garage has any plans for a photoetch kit for this one? I think that would be the icing on the cake...

J.B.

• 4 weeks later...

Why'd you put somethin over the price tag? It goes for 24.95 at my LHS. I'll wait till it comes to Micheals, an I'll buy it with a 50% off JoAnne's Fabrics coupon.But i WILL get one(or TWO)smile.gif

I'll wait until all the guys who bought casefuls of them get a bad case of buyer's remorse and unload 'em all on feebay for $10.00 a pop! :rolleyes:

I got this kit about a week ago and I'm doing some painting now. I really like it. The only problem I have with the kit is that I am going to do it in white just like the one on the box. It just looks too good. I normally don't like painting my projects white!

Call you weak. HEH.

Walt, it's more a matter of you having good taste and knowing quality work when you see it, than weakness. And those who'd call you weak - particularly over the missing up-top - would be thems what cain't take a joke.

And there's a famous saying about what to do with 'em if they can't take a joke...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I got this kit from a buddy of mine that had a hobby shop and decided to close do to the economy and low customer interest in his area. He still has a dealers licence but no overhead to worry about, So the prices are even more reasonable than before. As far as the kit goes, It's awesome and Im hopeful they will come out with a hard top version. I feel evan without a top included this kit still is still vary worth building and being proud of. Maybe somebody will pop a roof out in resin someday, Now that would be awesome too. I highly recommend this kit to anyone interested in general motors vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey guys, I've currently started Revell's 1972 Cutlass and I did some research for it(in order to make it historically accurate).

I've noticed some stuff wrong with the kit, correct me if I'm wrong, I live in eastern Europe and I havent got much experience with US cars(thats why I post it here, to get knowledge from you guys):

1) It has full stripes, 442 never had full stripes and added stripes only on the hood, to differ from the Chevelles and Camaros.

2) The regular non-Hurst version is W-30(according to decals) package and wikipedia says this:

Other notable components of the W30 package included a lightweight aluminum intake manifold, the W25 fiberglass ram-air hood, anti-spin differential with 3.42:1 gears (3.73:1 available), and heavy duty cooling. Due to the low-vacuum at idle, air conditioning was not available, and power brakes were only available with an automatic transmission

This kit has both air conditioning and power brakes(well instructions let you choose between automatic and manual). And kit also has 2 different rear axles, one of them seems to be the correct w30 limited slip differential, but this part is not mentioned in instructions, instead the instructions tell you to use the other regular looking axle and dont mention a single word about the other one. I think the limited slip axle should be the primary detail in this case and regular axle optional.

3) the tires look way too high profile, but that seems to be Revell's daily problem with every kit they make. I wish the kit had bit smaller tires with white letters.

Maybe you guys can discuss this and maybe add some more interesting facts and flaws about the kit before I start working on it.

• 3 months later...

If so, is the Hurst version the better one to get?

Yes, Revell released two versions of this kit, so it depends upon what you plan to do with the kit. Personally, I think the optional wheels in the purple and black version make that kit "better", but opinions will vary.

• 2 years later...