Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '72 Hurst/Olds Cutlass Kit

W-Machine

Ed, no disrespect intended, but the story that was circulating about Revell raising the suggested retail on its new kits to $30-$35 was debunked in this forum recently. And, the flyers Revell sends to hobby shops that are part of its Preferred Partner program show the kit having a $24.95 MSRP, same as its other recent releases.

Ya, I preordered a couple from my usual OLD for $17.55 each..pretty reasonable for a new tool 2 n 1.

Nice to see the windshield frame done as a separate chrome part, that's the way they are usually done on Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint 1:24th diecasts.

Edited by Rob Hall

Since our last posting there have been several points brought up for discussion that we felt need to be addressed before we go further. Lets clear these up now.

Note - this is being posted to both the Spotlight Hobbies and Model Cars Boards so you may find a reference to one or the other that hopefully won't confuse everyone.

1 - There are no pace car decals in the kit. Although I’m not sure they were ever mentioned in any of the announcements about this kit it is possible they were originally discussed but dropped due to licensing issues. We’ll have to rely on the aftermarket industry for these unless a later version includes the pace car option.

2 - The tires are the generic pieces with no sidewall, again because of licensing issues. Aftermarket tires and/or lettering transfers will have to fill this gap for now.

3 - The grilles have been a point of discussion. As was pointed out by Bart Orlans on the Spotlight Discussion Board the Hurst cars were based on the Cutlass Supreme, not the 442, so the kit grilles are correct for the Hurst Olds and Cutlass Supreme versions. Below are pictures of the different grilles:

i68D6C410-33A1-4C17-A65D-14830795D3CA.jpg

1972 Cutlass

i5DF0F4FA-3FB7-4987-9FFF-05A54FEA1DBD.jpg

1972 Cutlass Supreme

i5D1DB6A5-61D2-4853-93F5-81E078F17530.jpg

1972 Cutlass 442

The kit accurately represents the first two grilles. If you want to build an accurate 442 we’ll have to depend on photoetch parts or wait for another version of the kit to be released.

4 - On the Spotlight Discussion board there was some question about the contour of the rear of the deck lid and the “fins†of the quarter panels. This discussion was based on the image we posted of an unprimed body on a light background. Here are a couple of images of the primed body that show the areas in question a little clearer:

iA0CA0065-D660-4145-8E1D-611FB77D0DBE.jpg

i0147A857-9FAB-4A51-BAEF-237B1858D160.jpg

i77FAA115-6746-469E-A3A0-8FEEF90B0872.jpg

The “fins†are there and the deck lid is not as sharp as some posters had feared. The look and feel seems to be correct and I’m satisfied with it.

I’m sure there are some who are anxiously waiting to attack this kit with engineering scales and micrometers, looking for the least little issue to complain about but let’s wait until its released and you actually have one in your hands before you judge it, shall we?

5 - The rear spoiler was never installed by the factory on a convertible. You could order one at the dealer and have them install it after delivery. The cars that did have spoilers installed during assembly did not have deck lid stripes. The spoiler was not part of the Hurst package and I have found no pictures of any pace cars used at the speedway having one. Possibly one of the courtesy cars used by speedway support staff but it would have been installed by special request. Many of the restored cars you see today at car shows and auctions may have been “over restored†giving many people the wrong impression of what was period correct for these cars.

6 - In 1972 the 442 was a trim package for the Cutlass, not an actual separate model. In fact you could order a Cutlass with every appearance and performance option available and have what was essentially a car that was a 442 but did not have the 442 ornamentation. That’s why you see cars that look/run/feel/sound like a 442 but are really fully-loaded Cutlass Supremes. That could also explain how someone could have what appears to be a 442 with Supreme grilles.

I hope this clears up some of the issues brought up so far concerning this kit. It is my intention to educate, not infuriate, everyone as to what some of the facts and myths of these cars really are. If I’ve forgotten anything please let me know, we’ll review this list and update it as necessary.

It's also important to remember that, as is usually the case with Revell, this kit is the platform that will launch (hopefully) many other 1968-1972 GM A body vehicles. I'm not privy to any information of future launches but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this kit, if successful, could be the base for some really great models. We're going to build it and review it fairly and truthfully and ask that you bear with us during this buildup. We'll answer your questions as best as we can.

While I’ve thoroughly researched my data I won’t claim to be 100% accurate. The very nature of these cars, the vast number of option combinations available, and the fact that finding a truly original car today is as hard as finding hens teeth makes anyones claim of 100% accuracy shaky at best.

Stay tuned for our next post.

Len Carsner

If you’d like to find out more on Cutlass, 442, and Oldsmobile history check these links:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/ol...2-history.shtml

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/of442.htm#442%201972

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofocd.htm#1965

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Cutlass#1972

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_442#1972

http://www.mantei.com/index.html?1972olds

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocatalog/p...p;YearList=1972

Edited by Len Carsner

Thank you Len for your honesty up to this point. I think it'll be a great seller, an those that do find fault in it would STILL not be satisfied, even if they were actually incluced in the design of this kit! Some folks just seem to get anal over the SMALLEST thing, and don't understand that we're lucky to get a kit this nice,with this much potential I KNOW you'll give us a accurate and honest review. Thanks. :D

Nice! I dont even own any micrometers or library of references for cars. What really makes me happy is that model kit looks nice, it is nice to build and you recognize what car it is. I dont really care if there is some little detail differences but it should be well detailed with many optional parts. I really like these Revells special editions becouce there is so many optional parts/decals in them :D I cant wait to see this in hobby shop shelves. Olds 442 is one of the coolest muscle cars IMO! :)

BTW in Finland all new model kits cost about 52$, yeah i said 52$... How about that... Do i need even tell reason why i order my model kits overseas? :blink:

Edited by Janne Herajärvi

I, for one, really appreciate the buildups you two do. I followed the '57 Chevy with great interest, and I'll follow this one, too. You guys provide welcome details on the new kit, insights on the building of the kit, as well as information on the actual automobile, all of which is priceless. Thanks again, and keep 'em coming!

Jim

Thanks for the preview and the update ..... I'll definately be getting at least one of these kits if not more.

I've already got the Modelhaus 72 Olds 442 convertible conversion for the Johan 70 Olds 442 kit and there's no comparison from what I can see. Not that there's anything wrong with the Modelhaus conversion. It's just based on the more simplified Johan tooling which was typical of that era.

Maybe I'll build them both at the same time just for fun.

-Steve

I'm happy just to finally see a kit of the early 70's Olds Supreme (not to mention the Hurst option). They were nice looking cars IMHO.

I'll hopefully be getting a couple, although I have definitely slowed down on my buying new kits.

Thanks for the info and the look at the kit. When are they scheduled to come out?

Later-

Anybody know if MCG has a photo-etch detail set for this car? If so, I might just be doing mine as soon as I can get it.... :lol:
If this thing comes out half as good as your recently completed GTO, I will surely follow your WIP. I am definitely buying at least 2 of these, it's one of my favorite cars of that era. Just tell me the price when you're done, I will make my usual arrangements to snatch it away from you! ;)

I just checked his site Cruz, and I see none...............yet! :rolleyes:
Thanks Bill, I guess he will be putting one out soon, looks to me that it will be a great seller. Are you getting one? You know me, I always ask you if the kit is correct, is it? What do you think? At least by what you are hearing on this thread? ;)

Are you getting one? You know me, I always ask you if the kit is correct, is it? What do you think? At least by what you are hearing on this thread? ;)

Yeah, I'll probably get one, if not to build right away------but certainly to grok it.

The car looks great from what I see, but there are a couple nits I have. One being there's no up-top though I can make one using a '70 Monte Carlo roof. Another is the rear fenders at the edges, don't seem "finny" enough in relation to the deck lid. Not something everyone would notice or worry about, but that's my "obsessive" mode kicking in. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'll probably get one, if not to build right away------but certainly to grok it.

The car looks great from what I see, but there are a couple nits I have. One being there's no up-top though I can make one using a '70 Monte Carlo roof. Another is the rear fenders at the edges, don't seem "finny" enough in relation to the deck lid. Not something everyone would notice or worry about, but that's my "obsessive" mode kicking in. ;)

Good enough for me brother and by the way, stop "groking" those kits, perv!!!!! :rolleyes:;)

The Classic Plastic club (from New England, not Calif.) is doing a "P.O.P." catagory for next year; Plymouth, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac, the Orphan Cars. I'll bet there will be several of the '72 Cutlass B)

Does this sound like something any of you would try for?

Since our last posting there have been several points brought up for discussion that we felt need to be addressed before we go further. Lets clear these up now.

Note - this is being posted to both the Spotlight Hobbies and Model Cars Boards so you may find a reference to one or the other that hopefully won't confuse everyone.

1 - There are no pace car decals in the kit. Although I’m not sure they were ever mentioned in any of the announcements about this kit it is possible they were originally discussed but dropped due to licensing issues. We’ll have to rely on the aftermarket industry for these unless a later version includes the pace car option.

2 - The tires are the generic pieces with no sidewall, again because of licensing issues. Aftermarket tires and/or lettering transfers will have to fill this gap for now.

3 - The grilles have been a point of discussion. As was pointed out by Bart Orlans on the Spotlight Discussion Board the Hurst cars were based on the Cutlass Supreme, not the 442, so the kit grilles are correct for the Hurst Olds and Cutlass Supreme versions. Below are pictures of the different grilles:

i68D6C410-33A1-4C17-A65D-14830795D3CA.jpg

1972 Cutlass

i5DF0F4FA-3FB7-4987-9FFF-05A54FEA1DBD.jpg

1972 Cutlass Supreme

i5D1DB6A5-61D2-4853-93F5-81E078F17530.jpg

1972 Cutlass 442

The kit accurately represents the first two grilles. If you want to build an accurate 442 we’ll have to depend on photoetch parts or wait for another version of the kit to be released.

good information to know B) that makes it more likely to have a cutlass supreme version rather than the cutlass.... i like the roof on the supreme much better B)

• 4 weeks later...