Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grex Gck01 Airbrush Kit

i mentioned in my '34 semi WIP thread, that i ordered a new grex airbrush kit. well i received it this past monday. due to the severe freeze going on in texas, i have not been able to try it out. so i thought i would post some pictures anyway.

visually, i am very impressed. everything just looks perfect. if it works as good as it looks, i will be in heaven, yee-haw.

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

two different size gravity-feed cups and a large glass siphon feed cup.

DSC01138.jpg

with the kit you get this quiet little compressor with regulator/water trap installed.

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

the "gun" fits very well in the hand.

tomorrow i will be going over to a friend's house, he has a complete model building studio in his back yard (read heated), and give this little baby a work out. i will let you know how it goes.

later

Edited by fordsixty

Can you give us more info on the Grex air compressor?

Chris

sure chris.

1/8 hp piston compressor

115v / 60 hz / 0.96 A

1700 rpm

60 psi max pressure

RoHS compliant: //RoHS, also known as Lead-Free, stands for Restriction of Hazardous Substances. RoHS, also known as Directive 2002/95/EC, originated in the European Union and restricts the use of six hazardous materials found in electrical and electronic products. All applicable products in the EU market after July 1, 2006 must pass RoHS compliance. RoHS impacts the entire electronics industry.

The substances restricted under the RoHS directive include lead (Pb), mercury (Hg), cadmium (Cd), hexavalent chromium (CrVI), polybrominated biphenyls (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE).//

running, this thing is very quiet. compact. the handle slides down into the housing to get out of the way. another plus for me is the very flexible power cable: unlike the stiff cables, this one wraps around the compressor easily for storage.

i will let you know how it goes next week.

hope this helps.

I'm curious how that airbrush works. I was talking to a vendor of airbrushes, inquiring about the Grex (made in China). He said they stopped carrying them because of poor customer support and quality issues. He recommended a couple of trigger versions from Richpen (made in Japan), he said they were better. B) I would like a trigger type airbrush as it is similar to spraygun control and techniques which I have been use to for over 35 yrs.

Edited by 58 Impala

I like the idea of the screw-in paint cups.

I would like a trigger type airbrush as it is similar to spraygun control and techniques which I have been use to for over 35 yrs.

I have an Iwata Revolution TR2 which is a trigger airbrush and I've been very happy with. I'm by no means an airbrush expert so I'd recommend goggling it and seeing what's been said by more knowledgeable people.. or ask here, of course.

Dale, good to see you posting recently! I am immediately jealous!! This is the very combo kit I am interested in. I also think the trigger type airbrush will be a natural, as I currently am used to a snap-on trigger sprayer for rattle cans. I have seen an online average price of about $375.00 for this complete kit. I like the idea of everything from the same company, together and ready to go, instead of piece-meal, where if there might be a problem with one component they usually blame it on one of the other components. Once you get going, give us feedback, or post another one of your fantastic builds!

will do Randy. yeah. that is exactly what i thought, one company. paid $377 to my door.

i have a testors/aztec that worked pretty good. than the trigger assembly broke from the plunger. no replacement part. piece of junk plastic. so my major concern was first, all metal, second, pistol grip and trigger (like my full size paint guns), third, decent price. this guy fit all three. a plus, it feels very quality. i took it apart and everything was right. the action is very smooth. the parts are all polished and chromed. even the threads are finished, polished and chromed and thread very easily.

again, if it sprays as good as it looks, perfect.

I'm surprised about the customer support

They have been incredible in my book, so far.

But, it could be just me though

I love the trigger action one I have.

I use it for all my basic airbrushing, because it's so easy to use, and lays down so nice

I do wish I got the bigger tip/nozzle.

The smaller one, with the built in cup, is perfect for all my Alclad work.

I didn't get a chance to get the compressor, but it looks like it would be great to have.

I'm surprised about the customer support

They have been incredible in my book, so far.

that is good to know.

But, it could be just me though

yeah the big kahuna gets everything

I love the trigger action one I have.

I use it for all my basic airbrushing, because it's so easy to use, and lays down so nice

excellent

I do wish I got the bigger tip/nozzle.

The smaller one, with the built in cup, is perfect for all my Alclad work.

yeah i am planning on getting the other two tips. mine came with the medium tip.

I didn't get a chance to get the compressor, but it looks like it would be great to have.

thanks gregg

Looks pretty good, I just can't trade my old and trustworthy Badger Crescendo for this, I love it so much that I bought a second one just in case mine stops working or if the parts are not easy to acquire anymore. I think this one is good for beginners or individuals who are tired of their current airbrushes and want to experience something new and different. Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy it!!

ok. i spent yesterday playing with my new green gun. painting feels normal again. i love it. i have more control and my hand is just more relaxed. felt it the moment i made my first pass. it laid out paint beautifully. i let my buddy, claude, use it to paint his '67 gt500 red. after his first pass, he said the same thing, the control and function are good. so good, he is going to ask for one for his birthday. now bear in mind, we are both over AARP age. so anything that is more comfortable and controllable, is a big plus. :lol: the only real negative is the fact that the syphon cap does not screw onto any bottles: tried model master and paasche. :lol:

in the end, i am very glad i bought it.

Dale

What is the difference between Master Airbrushes and Grex Airbrushes

hey vaughn, i so not know what a master is but the grex is the manufacture of the airbrush i purchased.