Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another One For The Resin Gods.

Again, after some searching, I post a question on needing another resin body (you guys helped me find the 33 Willys, so I turn to you for advice once again). I see R&R and Perrys Resin have 1969 Impalas available. Any thoughts on these, or any other suggestions? As this will not be for me, I do not want to steer the gentleman I am searching for this for wrong (as he is a good friend and a co-worker). Thank you for your help MCMers!

Brad, UNLESS your freind has had previous expirience with R&R resins, I'd steer him to Perry's. R&R's kits leave alot to be desired. I have purchased from both, and as far as clean up is concerned, Perry's kits are easier to work with. If he's comfortable doin unforseen clean up work, then either one will work, but I kinda feel Perry's would be your best bet on this one. THIS is JUST a personal opinion, others may think differently.smile.gif

Having seen MCW's castings upfront (one of the hobby shops here bought a huge lot of resin from someone, but not of this car,) I'd probably go for his stuff. The casting is excellent quality and his service is outstanding.

Charlie Larkin

I am working on a 53' Olds from Dave at MCW, it is a pretty nice kit, but like you have never saw the 69' kit in question. MCW's service is hard to beat, I might try it there, can also pick up the factory colors for the car there as well.

• 1 year later...

By now, I am sure you have made a decision on whether or not to buy the 69 Impala kit from MCW, or the R&R kit but, thought I'd add my two cents in case you have not or in case anyone else is considering these. As an avid 69 Chevy fanatic (I currently own a 69 Impala Sport Coupe and a Convertible, have owned another sport coupe, convertible, Custom Coupe, and my father had a 69 Biscayne when they were new) I can't get enough of them in any scale. I have purchased 2 69's from MCW, and one from Star Models (the R&R kit). First off, if you want a Sport Coupe, MCW is the only one who offers that body style. The quality is quite good, needs a minimum of cleanup. The only minus on this one is that the master used must have been either the AMT 69-70 Buick Wildcat or MPC Pontiac Bonneville roof, grafted to the Impala body. All the GM 69-70 B body coupes DID use the same roof BUT....the Chevy had a slightly wider Sail panel and slightly smaller, more upright,side window, not shared with Pontiac, Olds or Buick. The rest of the roof, and the convex rear window is correct for the Chevy, and the decklid and 1/4s have been corrected and look accurate. For me, the correction for the sail panel/side window was easy, especially since I am replicating my 1:1 car, which has a vinyl roof. The kit has either the 15" wheelcovers or Rally Wheels to choose from...both are included.

I also purchased the 69 Biscayne 2-door from MCW, and again, very good quality,with a minimum of fiddling to build. This particular kit doesn't replicate the 1:1 car exactly.....the rear sail panels are too wide, the side windows too long at the top, and the side 1/4 kickup at the base of the side windows is not accurate. While this is in contrast to the real car, this kit DOES match the illustration of the car in profile in the 69 Chevy sales brochure,and matches the illustration of the Bel Air, which did not picture it as it really was. I don't possess the skills to modify the roof on this one to be 100% accurate but it is close enough that I will live with it. Both MCW kits do not have any plated parts.

The third kit I purchased is the 69 Chevy Wagon from Star Models (R&R). This kit needs a considerable amount of cleanup, and the interior does not fit the body at all. The chassis appears to be a repop of the 69 promo. It and the interior fit together well but neither fits the body well. The body is a fairly good representation of the 69 Kingswood for the most part. There are a few errors....the rear 1/4s are too short at the bottom, the rear side lights are too high and too far back, the taillights are too close together, and they should all be the same size. On the kit, the outers are smaller than the inners. The rear bumper does not have the step cutout that is characteristic of all 69-70 GM wagons. The roof has the "slats" that would only have been used with a roof rack. The Chevrolet nameplates are missing from both the hood and tailgate, and the Kingswood name is also not present on the 1/4 panels.The bumpers are plated but the front bowtie grille emblem is missing....looks like the SS from the original master was ground off but not entirely. The upper rear door kickup area looks accurate but the detail is very soft. The only other issue lies in the very rearward section of the rear side windows. They slant upward on the model, they do not on the real car. This one presents a challenge for me as my scratch building skills aren't too great.

I have not purchased any resin Custom Coupe kits as I have the original AMT & MPC ones. In looking at those, I can say neither was 100% correct even then! BOTH are missing the molding that ALL Custom Coupes had at the base of the sail panel, whether they had a vinyl roof or not, and both are missing the "Custom" nameplate below the Impala script on the sail panel. The MPC kit has duplicate Impala scripts on the front fenders,and is missing the SS on the trunklid. The AMT version is missing the block CHEVROLET letters across the hood, and the front valance panel really isn't correct. I think AMT made the convertible promo in 69 and it too, isn't right. They used the Custom Coupe and sawed of fthe roof. I think it even used the Custom Coupe trunklid... The actual convertible 1/4's are much closer to the Sport Coupes, and the decklids are the same..... There is an R&R repop of the convertible but it is as incorrect as the original. So, to make an accurate convertible, you need to use the MCW Sport Coupe and cut the roof off....which is a project down the road for me.

Whichever you choose to buy, Both MCW And Star Models provide great communication, and fast delivery. I cannot say enough about how good they have both been in that regard.

Wow, Jim. Thanks for the detailed analysis. The '69 Chevy has always been a favorite of mine, and learning more about the accuracy vs. inaccuracy of available resin products is a huge way to avoid disappointments!

Unfortunately, the resin world is littered with half-baked attempts to market bodies ... and way too many of them are 'close' ~~~ or worse. There's usually too much $$ involved to just buy 'em all, so info like you've shared here is invaluable.

Thanks!

B)

Wow, Jim. Thanks for the detailed analysis. The '69 Chevy has always been a favorite of mine, and learning more about the accuracy vs. inaccuracy of available resin products is a huge way to avoid disappointments!

Unfortunately, the resin world is littered with half-baked attempts to market bodies ... and way too many of them are 'close' ~~~ or worse. There's usually too much $$ involved to just buy 'em all, so info like you've shared here is invaluable.

Thanks!

B)

I hope it helps someone! I am actually just getting back into modeling again after a 15 yr absence. Am in the process of moving from Ohio to Tucson and moved my stash of models that was stored in the basement. I spend 10 days a month in Tucson and have started building models again when I am there.