Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1962 Ford Falcon Futura...almost finished!

100_2531-vi.jpg

Technically, I started this one just before Christmas 2009. It is a vintage AMT 1962 Ford Falcon Futura. A friend gave it and a couple of other vintage AMT annuals to me this past summer. It was originally brush painted with Testors Red and the interior with Testors Silver. It was a glue bomb as evidenced by the glue in the corners of the interior tub. I cut out the front seat and floor and replaced the floor with one from an AMT 1969 Chevelle interior. I purchased new chrome from The Modelhaus for it. It is a curbside build with big and little Pegasus wheels using Revell tuner tires on the front.

DSCN0015-vi.jpg

I filled the holes for the fender ornaments and filed down the corresponding peaks from the fender tops. Removed all chrome except for the hood "V" and the Futura side trim.

DSCN0029-vi.jpg

Paint is Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black with TS-13 Clear. Interior is Tamiya TS-45 Bright Red with Testors Dullcote.

DSCN0033-vi.jpg

It's a quickie build to get the creative juices flowing again. Should be finished this week.

Enjoy!

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Guest Gramps-xrds

Nice build. You're lucky to have friends that'll give things like this. It still made a good lookin model even if it is a curbside. I don't like the tires and wheels though. I'm not a tunner or donk fan. Guess you could call me an old school traditionalist.:lol:

Nice build. You're lucky to have friends that'll give things like this. It still made a good lookin model even if it is a curbside. I don't like the tires and wheels though. I'm not a tunner or donk fan. Guess you could call me an old school traditionalist.:)

Thanks for the feedback, even if you don't like my choice of wheels. :D I'm almost 50, but I've somehow managed to keep current with automotive trends. I'm sure someday my models will look rather silly. ;)

I helped a buddy liquidate a large portion of his collection this year and he paid me in models. Besides a number of unbuilt kits and resins, I got this Falcon, a 1961 Comet, 1962 Mercury Meteor, 1963 Chevy II and a 1963 Pontiac Tempest. All were builders, some nicer than others. The Meteor is the worst of the bunch, but still salvagable. All the chrome on the others is being prepped to go to Chrometech USA for replating, so hopefully I can build one of the others later this year.

Neat model. Not wild about the swirlie wheels...I'd probably have gone for Hella's ;) About 20 years ago, on my ride home from work, there was an accident that I passed. It was tragic...basically this same car, a mint-condition (looked new) pre-63 Falcon coupe, black with red interior, poverty caps & whitewalls, had run into the back of another car. The Falcon's driver was a gray-haired lady that looked like your typical "old school" school teacher. The Falcon's front end was completely crumpled...such a sad end to a car that had survived over 25 years of driving while still looking brand-new.

Marc,

Fabulous job and an outstanding overall look. Can you share more details on the interior with colors, sheen coats and techniques used?

Nothing really special with the interior. I had to cut out the stock front seats and floor because of extensive glue damage. I found the interior tub in the AMT 1969 Chevelle had nearly the same drive tunnel profile, so I cut the floor from one and used it in the Falcon. This mod allowed the use of custom front seats. These are some resin Recaros from Scale Dreams dot com with the headrest removed. They still need to be painted.

DSCN0034-vi.jpg

The paint is Tamiya white primer, Tamiya TS-45 Bright Red with an overcoat of Testors Dullcote. I applied BMF to the side panel trim and used a silver paint pen to detail the window cranks. Flocking is red Testors Model Master applied with Testors Acryl flat clear.

DSCN0035-vi.jpg

I made a pattern of the instrument cluster with Tamiya masking tape which was transferred to BMF and applied. Thinned Tamiya flat black acrylic was washed into the cluster which was detailed with a white pencil. I'm still searching for the "perfect" steering wheel.

Enjoy!!!

Finished the interior tonight. Dash and steering column from an AMT 1961 Ranchero parts kit replaced the glue damaged originals. Scale Dreams (thanks Rick B)) supplied the Recaro seats. I removed the headrests before painting. This will be the last update before completion.

DSCN0040-vi.jpg

DSCN0042-vi.jpg

DSCN0043-vi.jpgDSCN0044-vi.jpg

Enjoy...I have!!!

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports