Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin Db4-1/25 Revell Monogram Update-May 14, 2012

simonr

This will my build on the 1/25 Revell Monogram Aston Martin DB4. Although it's one of the most exquisite sport luxury car of all time, at the hobby stores shelves is almost a none exist subject. Despite being a 40 years old design already, this little 1/25 little friend gives plenty of possibilities and space to our mind's creativity. This is not common on those old days model cars, where were not today's fine standards like the ones from Tamiya and Fujimi, just to name a couple.

There have been several releases on this Aston Martin Db4, a couple from Monogram (different box art) and also a couple from Revell itself. Mine is the 1997 one. I'm also including a couple of pictures of the DB5, the real James Bond's car. I found doing my research that sometimes the DB4 is also named as the Bond's car. They are almost the same car, what better identify one from the other are the head lights buckles.

Here are a couple of pictures of the art boxes.

284858689_o.jpg

dd_1_b-vi.jpg

DoyushakitNY01-2.jpg

AirfixDB5kit07402-2.jpg

REV-56220Large.jpg

My goal is to make a high detailed version of it, since there is of the lack of buildings on this Aston, most of them Box Stock with an upgraded wheels set from Tamiya's Jaguar MK II and the Aoshima MGB. The version I selected will be the DB4 Series 5. Although at first sight one can say they all look the same, they have significant differences. Here's a picture of a nice preserved and aggressive look silver DB4 Series 3 and another for the one I selected, a red Series 5 one. To my friends from here that know me well..no...there won't be another red model car! :lol:

pp82.jpg

AstonMartinDB4Series51963.jpg

Edited by simonr

Ok, now let's go to do some modeling....

Opposite to basic model car modeling and to the instruction sheet itself, I will start this model coming from the chassis and suspension components going up to the interior, body, ending at the engine bay...What an odd way, isn't it?:confused:

Here's a look to the chassis and interior components. Typical from those old days, several parts are used to do one component. Among the several nice features of this model, the seats have some reclinable movement.

DSC_0331.jpg

The chassis and spare tire compartment has been glued together:

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

Moving on now to the underside of this model, since I've been doing a lot of research for this model lately, so I found that the swing link is too large, so, I cutted it, shaved the simulated plastic bolt and glued a real aluminum one. Another alteration I did was in the rear axle cover, were I added more aluminum bolts from R&B Motion, aluminum sheet for the Watt link assemblies connectors, and aluminum tubing for the Watt link assemblies itself. I found that the rear axle cover comes as a separate part and it will be great at detailing paint time, since it's supposed to be painted in a different color than the axle itself and this will eliminate future tricky masking there.

Real part:

UnderR122.jpg

altered part:

DSC_0371.jpg

I taped down everything together on the chassis along with the Radius Arm assemblies..Let’s see how it looks...

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

I like how it being, buuuut, to me something is still missing...I made the road springs out of solder ans its bases from plastic sheet

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more on this, the last photo of the red Aston (573 NOJ) was registered in Birmingham, the next largest town to me, and it was first registered the year i was born ...

Edited by GeeBee

Isn't that kit originally the old Aurora one? I started to build it back in the mid 60's and my plan was to widen the fenders, the build never went too far considering the quality of the putty back then. I still have the remains somewhere in a box.

I'll look forward to your build as Aston Martins from that period have an interesting look about them.

Rob W

Yes, this is the same one, so you should know the good impression it caused me the first time I opened the box. Do you guys know I bought this model to take out the luggage set and use it in the Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing I built a couple of years ago already and the discard it, but, Iknew the that this one has it's possibilities later. Could you give us your thoughs about how this model was received in the model car community back in the 60's? Could you also post some pics of the work you did to it then?

Thanks to all you guys took from your time to watch this. I will post more updates very soon, due to that this model is already in a real advanced stage.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Isn't that kit originally the old Aurora one? I started to build it back in the mid 60's and my plan was to widen the fenders, the build never went too far considering the quality of the putty back then. I still have the remains somewhere in a box.

I'll look forward to your build as Aston Martins from that period have an interesting look about them.

Rob W

Yes, this one it's an example of it. Yes, I hope also to see a soon reissue, since it's not so easy to find around, nor cheap too. I hope to see in the next reissue some improvements, like ...A DECAL SHEET!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Nice looking build. I'll watch this with some interest. I remember that kit was released as a Selected Subjects Program kit a few years ago, hopefully they'll do it again or I can find one on one of the auction sites. I always liked those cars.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by simonr

Well, like I said, this model is in a much advanced stage than you guys see here and, that's not exactly what I did to it, but, the scoop in the center of the hood had to be gone and correctly replaced.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

:lWhat a stock sports car Build? Don't you want to put a blower on it and cut a hole in the hood? LOL Great work so far.l:

Today I have a quick update. After being working in the rear suspension components, now Im moving to the front. Like in the rear, box stock suspension is OK but, I feel it allow space for something more.

I started gluing together the engine bay and cutting the attachment ends to the plastic sway bar with some brass tubing I did a new one.

DSC_0760.jpg

Same method was done with the steering rack, rolling some thin solder around the tube to simulate the boot.

DSC_0764.jpg

The shocks and spring plastic combo also suffer a transformation with some solder, plastic rod, aluminum tubing, and aluminum sheet. I didnt put much attention on the exposed epoxy since it will be later covered by the brake disc and the wheels.

DSC_0771.jpg

Everything was installed and this is how it looks:

DSC_0726.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

DSC_0759.jpg

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg

After carved a bit of plastic rectangle bar, I did a chassis bar where I mounted the scratch built brakemaster cylinders.

DSC_0779.jpg

I also did a tryout to see how they look.

DSC_0785.jpg

Now I just need to shoot some paint to the parts and do final adjustments. Then, I will complete everything with wire and nuts in order to complete the plumbing.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Yes this is the Revel-monogram release. As some of you guys have said the original is an Aurora. Here's a picture of the box art, typical from the 60's. Basically Revell used same art. Hey Rob, I'm still waiting your thoughs about how was this kit received back in the 60's from your experience.

AuroraKit.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Rob W

This is a real quick update. Jerry Quick, my good friend from the T.A.M.S. club in Norfolk, VA, give me an important advise in order to get this right. The solder I used to recreate the boots at the steering rack was to thick. I used another that is a little bit thinner and the look changed.

DSC_0793.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Yes this is the Revel-monogram release. As some of you guys have said the original is an Aurora. Here's a picture of the box art, typical from the 60's. Basically Revell used same art. Hey Rob, I'm still waiting your thoughs about how was this kit received back in the 60's from your experience.

Here's one on ebay. Anybody interested better hurry up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Vintage-AIRFIX-James-Bond-ASTON-MARTIN-Kit-1-24_W0QQitemZ110479471315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b916f2d3

Well, that's the early James Bond DB5 Airfix one, but, this one is one of the most requested among collectors. Is the Aurora Spy car. Obviously, although it doesn't mention James Bond, it refers to the DB5 that even has the Martin-Baker ejector seat from a fighter jet that can be seen in "Goldfinger". In the auction I got this picture from, the model that has bee started is running at $155!

aston1.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Well, that's the early James Bond DB5 Airfix one, but, this one is one of the most requested among collectors. Is the Aurora Spy car. Obviously, although it doesn't mention James Bond, it refers to the DB5 that even has the Martin-Baker ejector seat from a fighter jet that can be seen in "Goldfinger". In the auction I got this picture from, the model that has bee started is running at $155!

aston1.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

this is the Revel-monogram release. As some of you guys have said the original is an Aurora. Here's a picture of the box art, typical from the 60's. Basically Revell used same art. Hey Rob, I'm still waiting your thoughs about how was this kit received back in the 60's from your experience.

Here's one on ebay. Anybody interested better hurry up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Vintage-AIRFIX-James-Bond-ASTON-MARTIN-Kit-1-24_W0QQitemZ110479471315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b916f2d3